Winchester SXP wildfowl

LucassDouds

Afternoon chaps

Anyone got or had any experiences with the Winchester SXP wildfowl? 3.5 chambers 28inch barrel. I'm looking at getting one as a rough gun I ain't to scared to get scratched/ dirty etc especially as I'm wanting to do some wild fowling later in the year. But I'd be using it for anything rough generally. They are also really cheap.. But that isn't always good lol

Seen some decent reviews online etc but wanted too see if you lot had any input!

Cheers

Yep got one, use and abuse it and it never complains. Been on the Marsh, washed in a cattle trough and been pigeon shooting even shot the first drive of a driven partridge day

Nice! That's exactly what I want out of it ha! People

Keep saying to get a semi auto as I'll regret getting a pump in the long run. But for the price and what it's for.. I think it seems decent

I can rattle 3 shots off as quick as anybody. Can't really go wrong, as long as your arm works, it will work! And like you say, for the price you won't cry is you scratch it!

Very True

And when you get really used to it you only have to PUSH not PULL as I believe it has what is called a Easy Assist Pump System eg when fired it blows back on its own

Are the sxps a modern remake of the old Speed pump Winchester 1200 1300 and the cheap plain jane 120 ranger? Don't know Tony are they a rotary bolt ? Yes

I've only fired about 6 - 3.5" Steel and ONE 3.5" Hevi Shot ( someone gave me to try ) but some serious number of 3" Steel cartridges and have to be honest Tony I've felt no difference in recoil to when I've used my mates sx3 !!!!!!

Perhaps shooting all the Winchester Super X 1-7/8oz and 3oz from a 4ga in the Lead days have numbed my shoulder lol

True about the pump thing, if you shoot it one handed (surprised by a pigeon on the phone or having a toilet break) the slide comes most of the way back and the cartridge sits half way out of the action by itself. As for recoil, I have had some fast paced goose flights and fired 15-20 home loaded 3.5" fast steel and never felt anything, had more of a battering from a badly placed 30g 6!! I'm not going to pretend they are the gun to end all guns, but for a rough, throw about tool they are perfect.

Are the sxps a modern remake of the old Speed pump Winchester 1200 1300 and the cheap plain jane 120 ranger? Don't know Tony are they a rotary bolt ? Yes

I've only fired about 6 - 3.5" Steel and ONE 3.5" Hevi Shot ( someone gave me to try ) but some serious number of 3" Steel cartridges and have to be honest Tony I've felt no difference in recoil to when I've used my mates sx3 !!!!!!

Perhaps shooting all the Winchester Super X 1-7/8oz and 3oz from a 4ga in the Lead days have numbed my shoulder lol

I thought they might have been a 1200 copy.

Great guns they are.

Know what you mean ab out recoil, what we shoot today is nothing like the old days, And if the stocks long enough fits ok with a softish pad you wont really notice much.

One thing about pumps i alway liked was multiple shots on ducks etc, if you started shooting at say a pack of widgeon piling in up lead take the first shot, then if you got your eye on the next bird pumped it and as you moved the forend forwards steered the gun with that movement momentum whatever you want to call it take the next shot and repeat again if aplicable, its suprising how many doubles and tripples i got with pumps the old winchester ranger being so fast an action it was a breaze,.. Man listen to me im talking myself into one right here. :lol:

I thought they might have been a 1200 copy.

Great guns they are.

Know what you mean ab out recoil, what we shoot today is nothing like the old days, And if the stocks long enough fits ok with a softish pad you wont really notice much.

One thing about pumps i alway liked was multiple shots on ducks etc, if you started shooting at say a pack of widgeon piling in up lead take the first shot, then if you got your eye on the next bird pumped it and as you moved the forend forwards steered the gun with that movement momentum whatever you want to call it take the next shot and repeat again if aplicable, its suprising how many doubles and tripples i got with pumps the old winchester ranger being so fast an action it was a breaze,.. Man listen to me im talking myself into one right here. :lol:

Go get one and give me a go pal👀 Haha

Had mine about a year and love it. Haven't put any 3.5 inch through it yet but will give them a go tomorrow as a fox is causing problems for my farmer so I'm going to pattern a few heavy loads. Bet I stick with 36g BBs though.

Find it hard to get used too or have you shot pumps before?

Good luck with your fox!

Had a pump before but they are very easy to get used too. Speed pump is very very fast, I can shoot faster than my mate with his auto.

Nice man. The only real thing that's putting me off is seeing that a load of the SXPs were slam firing & had to be recalled etc & Winchester said this could happen under 'certain circumstances' so does that mean if you test it and it's okay, that it always will be or is there a chance in the future it could go off :/

The recall was not on the standard sxp, only the sxp waterfowl 3.5"mag version, on a limited batch.

I had one of said batch and never experienced the fault, but did respond to the recall and returned the gun.

A brilliant pump, loved it and agree with the above posts on reloading speed and action.

I got my hands on a new Browning BPS and got rid of the SXP. Love the BPS, but miss the winchester and may well re aquaint myself with one.

Go get one, you wont be disappointed.

The recall was not on the standard sxp, only the sxp waterfowl 3.5"mag version, on a limited batch.

I had one of said batch and never experienced the fault, but did respond to the recall and returned the gun.

A brilliant pump, loved it and agree with the above posts on reloading speed and action.

I got my hands on a new Browning BPS and got rid of the SXP. Love the BPS, but miss the winchester and may well re aquaint myself with one.

It's the 3.5 waterfowl one im looking at 😬 Although it is brand new from a gun room

So I'd assume they'd have addressed this issue..? I'll speak to them tomorrow