First Bunny On New Permission - Advice Sought

ShaggyRS6

Good and bad news for me on the bunny front. (Excuse the not normal picture quality. It was done from a phone)

We had a quick 1 hour down the new permission (i will take some good shots tomorrow hopefully) trying to find the best place to shoot from, and there are several. One thing I did notice (and this is why we stopped early to get some advice here) was that I hit two adult bunnies. Big fat *******, one was at about 15m the other about 10.

The first bunny I got in the head, but he ran off? 200PSI showing on the gun. The second one was from a standing position. I got him sqaure on in the chest (bad shot on a Rabbit. I am assuming so) I heard the Thud, he jumped in the air, ran one way, then another, then dissapeared.

I then shot a baby wabbit, plumb in the head. He went round in circles for about 20 seconds on the same spot then fell silent.

As this is my first time shooting rabbits I would appreciate some constructive critisim.

r1.jpg

Always aim at the head - with the eye being an obvious spot.

Always zero your gun at the range that you expect to be roughly shooting at - in this way you will not have to hesitate about thinking of range holdover.

Sorry, but was your gun checked for accuracy just before you went shooting - have you checked it afterwards - always do this if you cannot readily explain an obvious miss.

Don

The gun is deffo good for that distance. I checked it on the bark of the tree next to each rabbit each time and it hit where I aimed.

The problem with the second bunny was that I was standing free. I guess I must have moved slightly.

The 1st one I aimed right in the eye. Big bloody black eye. No idea how he ran away, he was closer that the young one too.

I have just checked the gun again and its plumb on.

Another tip with AA rifles is to only fill to about 180/190 bar, non-regulated rifles take a few shots to settle down onto their "power curve". I used to get about 10 "flyers" with mine unless I filled to about 180bar. Even then I would cock/fire dry about 5 or 6 times to make sure it was bang on.

Sounds like a bit of over-penetration to me, usually happens with .177 though.

In the past I've put a pellet into a rabbits head at 18 metres and he's run off to die elsewhere. It's unfortunate, but it happens occasionally.

Also, as already mentioned on previous posts - expect acrobatics from your coneys when taking them with headshots. :good:

Nice rifle by the way :lol:

Good and bad news for me on the bunny front. (Excuse the not normal picture quality. It was done from a phone)

We had a quick 1 hour down the new permission (i will take some good shots tomorrow hopefully) trying to find the best place to shoot from, and there are several. One thing I did notice (and this is why we stopped early to get some advice here) was that I hit two adult bunnies. Big fat *******, one was at about 15m the other about 10.

The first bunny I got in the head, but he ran off? 200PSI showing on the gun. The second one was from a standing position. I got him sqaure on in the chest (bad shot on a Rabbit. I am assuming so) I heard the Thud, he jumped in the air, ran one way, then another, then dissapeared.

I then shot a baby wabbit, plumb in the head. He went round in circles for about 20 seconds on the same spot then fell silent.

As this is my first time shooting rabbits I would appreciate some constructive critisim.

r1.jpg

Slightly off topic, but i didnt realise you were that young :good:

Google Earth for the Piccy.

As for the Rifle, yeah S410 is what I meant. Bit lighter. As for the RWS. I will keep that for deffo. May FAC it.

I am really enjoying the Rifles more than the shotguns TBH at this time.

Google Earth for the Piccy.

As for the Rifle, yeah S410 is what I meant. Bit lighter. As for the RWS. I will keep that for deffo. May FAC it.

I am really enjoying the Rifles more than the shotguns TBH at this time.

Really? I went clay pigeon shooting for the first time sunday and well.... am still grinning! :good:

As has already been said, it happens though you may do well to go for flat / hollow point ammo, I found that helped with my .177, save domes for pigeons. The general opinion seems to be .177 for pigeons and .22 for rabbits.

Just to add to what's already been said though, I completely destroyed the top half of a rabbit's skull with a .22rf about this time last year, it want straight down but then a few minits later got up and started running round rubbing it's head on the floor!! Left me wondering "how the **** do I kill that!? most of it's head's gone and it's still alive!" I doubt they suffer for long with a head / chest shot so I wouldn't worry too much, it's still a kill.

If you're worried about power though, and haven't got a chronograph, see what thickness of wood it'll go through, I'm sure people on here will tell you what theirs can do, I should think it'll go through 10mm of pine if all's ok.

Dont just go for the eyes. Theres an increased chance of maiming from airgun pellets hitting the eye or around the eye area. Its also nearer the nose area which means a slight miss can cause more injuries.

Aim for behind the eye, between the eye and the base of the ear, thats the kill zone.

Granted, eye shots may still kill but why aim for them? Having said that, if the angle means that going through the eye would hit the brainbox behind it then so be it.

Mack

I had mine Chrono'd a few months back. It was 11.4 or 11.6. I may try some hollow points.

don't bother with hollows unless close range ratting or pigeon's. I have tried hollows, fine up close but grouping is poor as distance progresses. Just stick to your domed pellets that works well! Believe me everyone has tried pointed, domed, hollowed and even others but we all revert back to domes.

I have just brought and started reading Total Airguns: Hunting by Pete Wadson, its brilliant! Reccomend it to you big time, lots of help with quarry and shooting tactics.

Dan