Any TV engineers/gurus here?

Dave-G

A well off brother has gifted me a seemingly faulty Sony LDM 3210 plasma TV, its about 6 years old I think.

The signal is very 'iffy' and just touching the 'coax in' feed to the Media Receiver Unit (Sony model MBD-MRX1) has it going scatty with breakdowns galore. It also only gets about 30 channels, skipping several consecutive numbers and any time I can find BBC1 it will not get ITV - and vica versa if I move the coax and auto tune again. Auto tune seems to struggle part away through its progress too.

The coax works fine with an LCD TV (gifted by another brother) so I suspect a dry joint exists inside the unit but removing the top doesn't expose the inside of the coax in socket.

I've tasked her indoors with getting me a top quality cable from curry's/Maplins or whatever today as a quick cheap process of elimination but anticipate the socket dry joint is going to have to be found come what may.

If it goes horribly wrong would another Sony MRU with the same plugs still operate the display unit?

EDIT: typo correction re: elimination.

Edited by Dave-G

It would probably make a good gaming TV!

Don't believe all the rubbish about top quality cable.

This :good: A £1 cable is as good as a £50 as proved by many different articles in tech magazines - its nothing but a money spinner isn't it the little monkeys

I'd say bad connection on coax but a TV repair shop won't cost much to have a look, probably less than an expensive than a pricey cable

Well Mrs-G has arrived with a new cable with gold plated connectors (£8)

I cannot now get any interference when the coax is not being moved so the original cable was less than perfect - possibly having a break in its flimsy inner core.

It still misses swathes of channel numbers and if I rotate the coax plugs and re-auto tune it sometimes finds different channels, in lieu of rather than extra channels - and program sorting seems to switch to terrestrial instead of digital.

A chat with brother reveals he stored it for several months after having his bedroom decorated, only used it via a sky box and now wants a TV with HDMI connector which the Sony doesn't have, and the receiver unit makes it impractical to wall mount the display unit.

Edited by Dave-G

If you don't want the cost of a repair then use a free view box with scart or hdmi out put, the coax only needs to go to the free view box.

or as above use as a monitor.

That sounds like a plan but what a ****** to need two remotes lol.

The picture quality is stunning compared to my Panasonic LCD TV so it will be worth it.

Edited by Dave-G

:good::good::good:

I think you guys may be right lol.

Another brother is much better at setting things up like computers and fancy tv's - moving channel/programs around etc, he's going to have a look at tit for me.

The thing was made at about the time of the digital/terrestrial changeover and automatic digital tuning seems to switch from digital to terrestrial in the program sorting finalisation of auto tuning. The discontinued terrestrial side has a fuller menu in 'settings' and has manual tuning function - but darned if I can access manual tuning on the digital side. :no:

Edited by Dave-G