Scope Mounts

Zetter

So a deposit has been put on the next rifle as I got the nod from my FEO yesterday for my .17 hornet.

But this one has weaver bases on it which is a bit of a pain, any recommendation on mounts from the PW massive for a 30mm scope.

I have had a scour on the web and the prices seem to go from the ludicrously low £5 for Nikko Stirling 2 piece (this seems too cheap to be true to me) through to the insanely expensive for Leupold thats pushing £80+.

Normally I would go for Sportsmatch but there seems to be small choice in 30mm Weaver and limited availability.

Any other recommendations?

Don't use cheap mounts...complete false economy!

Scope mounts are often overlooked but are a weak link in the chain. Steel ones will not wear anything like cheap alloy ones and generally will fit better, and hold the scope more precisely.

Many cheap ones are badly finished too and can often mark the scope barrel.

Even badly fitting mounts can seem good and tight until recoil or the odd knock is taken and suddenly you'll notice the rifle shooting off, quite often with nothing apparently wrong with the outfit.

Leupold steel rings or the Warne ones are both very good. I use Leupold on one rifle and KOZAP steel one piece on another.

They are generally fit and forget, unless you buy QR versions, which although very good, do need to be checked to make sure they don't come loose.

A reasonably good set of quality budget steel rings, expect to pay £40 to £50. £80 isn't out of the way. Used is fine (expect to pay £25 upwards) as long as condition is good.

Edited by Savhmr

I actually fitted a weaver base to my hornet (and use the Genesis too), I can't remember which mounts I bought but they were around £60.

Is the rifle a CZ or Ruger? Ah, just seen that it's a Savage. Before you commit, just make sure you read all the reviews, that's all I'm going to say.

Edited by mick miller

Hi Mick

I have had a scour on reviews and the issues I seem to find are on round ejection i.e it will extract but then sometimes has issues ejecting?

I am going new rather than 2nd had so at least have the warranty period but would be interested in any info you have about any other issues with them. At the moment I have put down £50 so its not the end of the world if I change my mind.

Neil

Neil

Weaver mounts are some of the best going do t skimp on the mounts as if they fail no matter how good the scope or rifle are neither will work together. The scope mounts are the link.

Personnaly I prefer to use leupold wherever I can compared to some they are inexpensive! Picatinny mounts will also fit weaver rails.

So a deposit has been put on the next rifle as I got the nod from my FEO yesterday for my .17 hornet.

But this one has weaver bases on it which is a bit of a pain, any recommendation on mounts from the PW massive for a 30mm scope.

I have had a scour on the web and the prices seem to go from the ludicrously low £5 for Nikko Stirling 2 piece (this seems too cheap to be true to me) through to the insanely expensive for Leupold thats pushing £80+.

Normally I would go for Sportsmatch but there seems to be small choice in 30mm Weaver and limited availability.

Any other recommendations?

insanely expensive, tell me about it, my schultz and larsen mounts alone were £300 :unhappy: