Blocked drain

AVB

Top tip if you use rods , while rodding DO not twist them anti clock wise as they will undo , you might laugh and say I'm not that daft some idiot did it to my drains before I moved in and left 15m off rod up there , I only found them as I was rodding one winters night 6 inch snow head down the man hole hour later rods slipped out and whoosh

I do remember that tip from my dad. Unfortunately the rods aren't flexible enough to bend 90 degrees into the drain. I have ordered a drain cleaner pipe for the jet washer. Will try at the weekend.

Thanks all for the tips. Interested to know if they go into a soak away. Didn't realise they were different. I assumed they went into the main drain.

I do remember that tip from my dad. Unfortunately the rods aren't flexible enough to bend 90 degrees into the drain. I have ordered a drain cleaner pipe for the jet washer. Will try at the weekend.

Thanks all for the tips. Interested to know if they go into a soak away. Didn't realise they were different. I assumed they went into the main drain.

Mine is soak away as we don't have main drains were I live, I fitted new septic tank , soak away and about 30 ish meters of new drains last November , took about two weeks enjoyed the digger I hired

Aldi occasionally sell a bendy, wiry thing a few metres long with a turny handle thingy on the end. I bought one on impluse and have so far used it three or four times to good effect. (It'll go around a P trap if "encouraged".)

Re plunging, a lump of wood with a wet towel round it worked for me.

So far, though, it's *always* ended with me having to get me hand down the drain... :(

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

Aldi occasionally sell a bendy, wiry thing a few metres long with a turny handle thingy on the end. I bought one on impluse and have so far used it three or four times to good effect. (It'll go around a P trap if "encouraged".)

Re plunging, a lump of towel with a wet towel round it worked for me.

So far, though, it's *always* ended with me having to get me hand down the drain... :(

Regards,

Mark.

That'll be what I used to know as a SaniSnake, bit like a hand drill with a flexible wire shaft a few meters long on, great little bestie, haven't seen one for years :lol:

How old is the house is it Modern..built within the last 10 years?..if so you may be able to go on line to the planning portal and see if the there is a drainage layout or to the Water Authority similarly.

They will definitely know if its a combined drain.

If its a soakaway it will be your responsibility however.

Can you not do a dye or water test from the pot in the patio to the manhole 50 m downstream to see if they are connected. A bottle of food colouring is as good as anything.

I'm afraid soakaways under patios are a favoured location for some unscrupulous developers...out of sight out of mind and all that and they do get blocked with no means of access for cleaning.

I have two down pipes which just go 1 foot into the ground.!!

How old is the house is it Modern..built within the last 10 years?..if so you may be able to go on line to the planning portal and see if the there is a drainage layout or to the Water Authority similarly.

They will definitely know if its a combined drain.

If its a soakaway it will be your responsibility however.

Can you not do a dye or water test from the pot in the patio to the manhole 50 m downstream to see if they are connected. A bottle of food colouring is as good as anything.

I'm afraid soakaways under patios are a favoured location for some unscrupulous developers...out of sight out of mind and all that and they do get blocked with no means of access for cleaning.

I have two down pipes which just go 1 foot into the ground.!!

It's a 1960's house with extensions in 80's and 00's.

great little bestie

I have to say that it worked wonders for *me*. The only downside is that it can take "two to tango"; last time I used it, I had to get the neighbour to turn the handle while I did the hand-down-the-hole-up-to-the-armpit manoeuvre.

Regards,

Mark.

Edit: Perhaps I should have re-phrased that... :)

Edited by ChAoS