Chased by Deer!

Andy75

This is a weird one, but I guess she was just protecting her young somewhere in the woods :

PARENTAL ADVISORY - EXPLICIT LYRICS! (yes I am a bumpkin, yes I swear - sorry :stupid: )

I was out last night with my Spocker Bramble (18 months), my friends Springer Devon (4 years) and my mum's Cocker Jarvis (6 months) walking around our usual haunt of fields and woods.

Crossing a stream to come out of the woods and into a field, a doe (roe I think?) starts shoulder barging the dogs, barking (!!!), and charging at me. She flips the puppy Jarvis a fair few times, then rounds on the older dogs - Jarv runs back into the woods whimpering, and from the noise sounded just like Bramble did when he broke a leg.

At this point I'm think oh ****, what do I do here? Bramble and Devon manage to stay close and only run after the doe a few times but generally stay in control (Bramble does much better the brave lad - he is the only trained gun dog present). I shout after Jarvis to leg it back to me then grab the phone for a 60 second video shown above.

She came close enough for me to smack on the rump with a springy stick to try and shoo away from the hounds - no damage to her from me. I have no saved the wee stick and it has been name the "DeerSmiter" :good:

After the video, the doe manages to flank us (!!) and chase after Jarvis again, this time we double time it all together across the field, still being chased off by the barking deer. She was VERY protective, but I wouldn't leave the puppy behind in the woods where he might get more damaged. In the end all dogs ok, one dog walker slightly stunned by the events.

We never came across any young or the other two deer that are usually in attendance - I guess they must be hull down somewhere in the undergrowth.

The cast :

normal_05052007254.jpg

Devon, Bramble and Jarvis.

Oh I know mate, should have said more than what I did.

From what I saw it didn't look to be protecting anything in particular, just seemed mad - mind I haven't the first clue about deer anyway so... :stupid:

Glad the dogs are ok though! Do you think it will affect the little one?

Not sure I hope not! :lol: he seemed ok the rest of the walk and ok on this mornings trot, so here's to hoping.

Bleedin hell mad deer disease now :good: I don't know much about the behaviour but 2 went into the woods (there are usually 3 about) and only the one was trying to tackle us.

I'm sure someone who knows the blighter's will explain it soon enough.

I just hope the young dog doesn't develop a fear of them given his experience :lol:

Not sure what I would have done, I expect pulled a funny face and run off :good:

If you had the a shotgun in your hands could you have shot it? I can't imagine the police believing it was for protection without the vid! Madness, I hope all the deers aren't like that round your way, now at least you have "reason" to apply for a FAC! :good:

The police _might_ have accepted self defense for that one! I have never seen a deer attack like that... Certainly a worrying thing if it proves to be a trend.

Time to break out the armour piercing rounds I think...

The police _might_ have accepted self defense for that one! I have never seen a deer attack like that... Certainly a worrying thing if it proves to be a trend.

Time to break out the armour piercing rounds I think...

start a petition for slugs to be moved onto sgc?

Steady on you lot, or should that be "Tackleberrys"

One little deer harasses someone and that's now a reason for armour piercing rounds and fully automatic sentry guns???:lol:

I think you lot all want your tickets revoking :good:

lol I hope they are not all like it. I had observed them around a lot, and know their fave drinking holes near a quarry - they are fairly easy to stalk in this place.

Yes I want my FAC this year, but haven't really got permission for that sort of thing in that area, only air rifles.

Never mind the shotty - if I had a baseball bat it'd be in the back of the car! :good: I just hope they don't gang up on me next time :lol:

Steady on you lot, or should that be "Tackleberrys"

One little deer harasses someone and that's now a reason for armour piercing rounds and fully automatic sentry guns???:lol:

I think you lot all want your tickets revoking :good:

just as well I have not applied for my SGC and/or FAC! :lol:

Hello & yes a roe doe & they wont be far from dropping kid's but down your way might be some now & it could be that as roe will avoid human's at all times.Roe can be very dangour's with there feet as there like razor's so if you injure or snare a roe & it roll's onto it's back keep a way from the back end.As for this time of year & walking working dog's whare game etc are aboundent or likely to be even on own ground should be on lead or under t-total control.It's a hard time of year to walk dog's with wildlife breeding & i have this prob's with joe puplic wanting to let there dog lose & dont know the damage/disturbance they do.

TBH I think that Brambles did all credit to you Andy! Everytime you called her she returned and did not chase the deer apart from when the deer went for you and she chased it off a short distance. Considering the unusual circumstances the dog behaved v well and shows you have put the effort in on the training side.

Dan

I've had a similar thing happen, but with muntjac, when walking my lab. These things are vicious when they have young are in the vicinity.

I have been barked at for over an hour by a Munjac when I was out rabbit shooting, bloody annoying thing! - if I had only had the permission and the right gun . . .

Andy,

I still reckon you were very close to that Roe's young, they have no scent at all so your dogs wouldn't have picked up on that.

The mother won't even go near them so as not leave a trail for predators.

Hence they get reported as 'abandoned fawns' by people who don't know any better.

That's pretty scary, they're not small animals are they! I don't know what I'd do if facing that kind of situation, if I had a shotty it'd only do it a couple of times before I fired off a shot. Without a gun, maybe scream like a girl and run??? :whistling: