What sort of land do you have for your centrefire?

Camerooon86

This isnt the typical "how many acres do I need to get a CF on my ticket" question but it hopefully it will answer that question in its own way.

I've done a search but can't seem to find anything relevant unless anyone knows otherwise. So...here it goes!

I was wondering what sort of land you guys and girls have been granted a CF for.

What Acreage, how the land lies, etc. And finally, what caliber you were granted for it.

Much appreciated.

You will get loads of different answers to this one, personally I've got a few thousand acres cleared for 243 varying terrain but also 1.5 acres cleared for 243 aswell which is flat at the bottom with a rising bank about 40ft high. This little field is surrounded with footpaths and has a footpath going through the middle of it.

The main question is 'good reason to possess' so if you have good reason to request a certain calibre for a certain job eg, 223 for fox/small deer species or .30 calibre for boar then the land will be judged on its merit, Finding a size of ground because you want a certain calibre isn't really the right approach.

How long is a piece of string. Open Cert for so many years I have lost count, so only one for all of my rifles bar the 375JDJ which I only use overseas anyway. As said above... reason to possess is the main item, then the safety of shooting on each piece of land you have access to to be looked over and approved. Your approach to this makes a very big difference in the decision. For example, placing of high seats to offer safe angles of fire, knowledge of the make up of the soil, footpath locations ... basically make a plan to brief the FAO when he/she arrives, so they at least have some inkling that you have taken all safety aspects into consideration. It is not unknown that the 'inspector' does not actually shoot. I had a piece of ground which had an old railway running across one side and the inspecting police officer said that would make a good backstop. Part of it was level and part in a cutting :no: he didn't even go to look. It was marked on the map I had drawn up for the brief. MIND!! there are some who do shoot and don't take prisoners. Anyway if you are going to shoot on a piece of ground, if you have any common sense you will have done your own safety check. Located any danger spots etc.

Thanks for the informative reply. My land is freshly acquired so I shall be out scouting as soon as possible and before the FEO goes to look.

There's evidence of small deer and a bit of a fox problem so it made me wonder about a smallish caliber centrefire. Maybe a .22hornet or .222.

I'll assess the land further first though because if I don't think it's safe then the FEO definitely won't! This thread was to give me (and others possibly) an idea of acreage vs lay of the land vs caliber given.

Edited by Camerooon86

Thanks for the informative reply. My land is freshly acquired so I shall be out scouting as soon as possible and before the FEO goes to look.

There's evidence of small deer and a bit of a fox problem so it made me wonder about a smallish caliber centrefire. Maybe a .22hornet or .222.

I'll assess the land further first though because if I don't think it's safe then the FEO definitely won't! This thread was to give me (and others possibly) an idea of acreage vs lay of the land vs caliber given.

It really is judged on individual merit, I also have an open license so don't need to get land passed. I have shot boar on 4 acre paddocks with 308 and fox on 500 acre farms with 223 each and ever shot as safe as the last due to backstop situations.

What does "bit of a fox problem" mean? Also, just because there may or may not be evidence of small deer, is that "good reason" to shoot them even if you can find and stalk them? Nothing personal, but deer populations local to me are being hammered, especially Roe, for no other reason than "sport" by individuals who have little interest in deer ecology, or understanding the merits of developing a cull plan which can take months or a few years even to understand just how many deer can be supported, how many reside on the land, what damage they may be doing etc. I am fortunate enough to have a fair few hundreds of acres to shoot over and it took a fair few years to develop a cull pan prior to applying for my CF, following extensive crop damage. Good reason came before any thoughts of a CF application.

From what you say, it sounds as if "good reason" hasn't really been established yet, hence you wont know yet what, if any, CF you might need. As Walker570 suggests, the most important thing first is to assess good reason for possession of a CF, then and only then, the land can be assessed by the FEO as being suitable or not for the calibre(s) applied for. This could be a couple of acres or hundreds of acres depending on circumstances and the lay of the land. You may be fortunate enough to have lots of rolling pasture land where perhaps the farmer needs to have pigeon and carrion populations controlled, in which case your needs will be very different from deer control. You can't legally shoot small deer with a 22 Hornet either in England/Ireland or Wales. It doesn't have either the specified bullet weights or muzzle energy required. Minimum is .22 inches, 50 grains and 1000ft-lbs muzzle energy.

Acreage doesn't come into it....at all. What matters are things like does the land have suitable back-stops where you'll be shooting (or would the use of high chairs offer a safe shooting situation), is there a ricochet risk due to local geology, do the public have access (ROW) or are likely to use it? Are their public highways or buildings in close proximity, and do you have the experience and understanding to handle and shoot a CF safely? There are other considerations, but the prime considerations are those pertaining to public safety.

At the moment, you appear to be fortunate enough to have acquired new land of an undisclosed acreage which allows perhaps some sport shooting, but as yet you don't seem to have offered feedback on any definite need or good reason, perhaps established by consultation with the landowner, nor offered what he may have given permission for you to shoot (and use) himself. Remember, just because it may be legal and even if you do have good reason, the land owner/occupier themselves also need to approve your use of a specific calibre used in support of your application. Food for thought, but good luck with it, I'm sure you'll sort it all out.

I managed to get a 140 acre farm next to the M5 cleared for 6.5x55. Shot angles needed to be carefully considered and high seats used because it was flat, but it was cleared right back when I was a newbie shooter. My first grant/rifle in fact.

Now I have an open certificate and just as Redgum, have shot some fairly big calibres/species in some very confined areas. What really matters is a safe shot. If you've got banks and soft ground it's surprising how small an area you can shoot. You only have to look at some of the smaller club ranges to see that as long as conditions are spot on, you need very little space.

What does "bit of a fox problem" mean? Also, just because there may or may not be evidence of small deer, is that "good reason" to shoot them even if you can find and stalk them? Nothing personal, but deer populations local to me are being hammered, especially Roe, for no other reason than "sport" by individuals who have little interest in deer ecology, or understanding the merits of developing a cull plan which can take months or a few years even to understand just how many deer can be supported, how many reside on the land, what damage they may be doing etc. I am fortunate enough to have a fair few hundreds of acres to shoot over and it took a fair few years to develop a cull pan prior to applying for my CF, following extensive crop damage. Good reason came before any thoughts of a CF application.

From what you say, it sounds as if "good reason" hasn't really been established yet, hence you wont know yet what, if any, CF you might need. As Walker570 suggests, the most important thing first is to assess good reason for possession of a CF, then and only then, the land can be assessed by the FEO as being suitable or not for the calibre(s) applied for. This could be a couple of acres or hundreds of acres depending on circumstances and the lay of the land. You may be fortunate enough to have lots of rolling pasture land where perhaps the farmer needs to have pigeon and carrion populations controlled, in which case your needs will be very different from deer control. You can't legally shoot small deer with a 22 Hornet either in England/Ireland or Wales. It doesn't have either the specified bullet weights or muzzle energy required. Minimum is .22 inches, 50 grains and 1000ft-lbs muzzle energy.

Acreage doesn't come into it....at all. What matters are things like does the land have suitable back-stops where you'll be shooting (or would the use of high chairs offer a safe shooting situation), is there a ricochet risk due to local geology, do the public have access (ROW) or are likely to use it? Are their public highways or buildings in close proximity, and do you have the experience and understanding to handle and shoot a CF safely? There are other considerations, but the prime considerations are those pertaining to public safety.

At the moment, you appear to be fortunate enough to have acquired new land of an undisclosed acreage which allows perhaps some sport shooting, but as yet you don't seem to have offered feedback on any definite need or good reason, perhaps established by consultation with the landowner, nor offered what he may have given permission for you to shoot (and use) himself. Remember, just because it may be legal and even if you do have good reason, the land owner/occupier themselves also need to approve your use of a specific calibre used in support of your application. Food for thought, but good luck with it, I'm sure you'll sort it all out.

I

"A bit of a fox problem" means that the farmers chickens are being hammered by the local population. My info was vague so I understand the question.

Evidence of small deer would be the tracks they have left. The farmer has also had the pleasure of seeing them and finding his crops damaged and has asked me to protect his crops. Is this connected to the presence of deer? Maybe, maybe not. As stated, I haven't really done any 'proper' recon yet.

The interest in a centrefire is a genuine one and not just on a whim though but as you and others have stated, there needs to be good reason which I will be sure of if and when I decide to broach the subject with the FEO. I haven't taken up shooting to be a cowboy and intend to stick to the rules.

When suggesting the hornet I was mainly thinking of the fox issue which we know they have but I should have been clearer. The suggestion of the .222 would be for the deer/fox combo SHOULD it be necessary.

I am fairly new to shooting but rest assured I have no intention of just shooting for "sport". The shooting is the hobby, the control is the service to the farmer.

I am on this forum to learn so by all means, impart on me, any knowledge and/or advice you wish to share as it will be very welcome 👍

I managed to get a 140 acre farm next to the M5 cleared for 6.5x55. Shot angles needed to be carefully considered and high seats used because it was flat, but it was cleared right back when I was a newbie shooter. My first grant/rifle in fact.

Now I have an open certificate and just as Redgum, have shot some fairly big calibres/species in some very confined areas. What really matters is a safe shot. If you've got banks and soft ground it's surprising how small an area you can shoot. You only have to look at some of the smaller club ranges to see that as long as conditions are spot on, you need very little space.

Along with everyone else who has replied, thank you for the advice. It's much appreciated!

I think it's been answered above fairly well but it really is down to need, proof and sometimes the guy checking the ground. For instance 300 acre farm and for love, nor money, could I get a 222 allowed on it, but a 10 acre paddock I was granted a 6.5x55. ok, the guy knew the area and we talked it though on the phone and I asked it for highseat only as there was foot paths and only really one angle to get a shot down. This was agreed and at the same time was thought I knew what I was doing so unrestricted my ticket at the same time so was neither here or their on it in the end.

I also know of a flat patch of land, only 20 acres with m5 motor way running level alongside it. I use to shoot the foxes there and now a mate has his first rifle granted on this land.

I think, if you do your homework and know the land, then put yourself in good light with who ever is checking the land and show you know what your talking about, with out being pushy, then most land can be cleared to the satisfaction of both parties.