Attempted break in

digger

Went out to a party last night, leaving just the porch light on. Returned at midnight slightly worse for wear and straight to bed. Went out with the dog at ten this morning and noticed a mates garage door was open which is always locked, turns out it was forced open. Youngest daughter has just come in from playing outside and noticed the front door wouldnt lock, turns out someone has tried to force the handle off ( there are marks on the frame where the jemmy was placed ). As its a upvc door and always double locked even if the handle had come off they would not have got in plus the dog would have been going ape.

As a shotgun owner should I inform the police ?

Dont expect any result but dont want a succesful break in and them asking why I didnt report the first attempt.

Went out to a party last night, leaving just the porch light on. Returned at midnight slightly worse for wear and straight to bed. Went out with the dog at ten this morning and noticed a mates garage door was open which is always locked, turns out it was forced open. Youngest daughter has just come in from playing outside and noticed the front door wouldnt lock, turns out someone has tried to force the handle off ( there are marks on the frame where the jemmy was placed ). As its a upvc door and always double locked even if the handle had come off they would not have got in plus the dog would have been going ape.

As a shotgun owner should I inform the police ?

Dont expect any result but dont want a succesful break in and them asking why I didnt report the first attempt.

i would inform them so it cant come back and haunt u in the future , also do you have a alarm?

Cheers for the replies, amazingly the scene of crime officer is coming out first thing in the morning.

Police were excellent and knew i hold a cert from giving them my postcode ( a tad big brotherish ? ). Spoke to my neighbour who heard the dog going mad at eleven pm so maybe the fat lab is better than an alarm !

Consensus of opinion is they werent after the guns just little scum buckets after an easy target which I guess and end of terrace house is.

Dog is now at my feet fast asleep dreaming of life as a police dog, digesting the steak my wife cooked for her as a reward

My parents were burgled and my dad is an SCG holder, the police were round within an hour and dusted everywhere, including his gun safe, it is so well hidden that the scum probably never found it. After that incident he was advised to get an alarm fitted, which he did (he would have done anyway). The police were very good and his renewal went through without a hitch.

If you want your time wasted then call old bill. They'll maybe turn up, they'll maybe issue a crime/report number but will they catch anyone, will they investigate anyone, will they have any ideas...will they **** BUT if you're a law abiding citizen who pays your taxes, looks after your own etc etc and you're seen driving round town without a seat belt on THEN they will react and issue you with a ticket PLUS a fine of £30. YES. Total waste of tax payers money but then who said life was fair! :(

Oh you might read from this that I have recently had a 'conversation' with some of our 'boys in blue' and you'd be right :lol:

If you want your time wasted then call old bill. They'll maybe turn up, they'll maybe issue a crime/report number but will they catch anyone, will they investigate anyone, will they have any ideas...will they **** BUT if you're a law abiding citizen who pays your taxes, looks after your own etc etc and you're seen driving round town without a seat belt on THEN they will react and issue you with a ticket PLUS a fine of £30. YES. Total waste of tax payers money but then who said life was fair! :(

Oh you might read from this that I have recently had a 'conversation' with some of our 'boys in blue' and you'd be right :lol:

Someone with an axe to grind....get over it....yr=es maybe they won't get jack the ripper from dusting the doorhandle....put your seat belt on......you mat=ybe then won't watse about £3,000 in NHS subsidies sorting your smashed face in when you have a minor shunt. yeah lets all not pay taxes so we don't have a police force and when someone comes along and murders your lot .what are you going to do......go and murder them......yeah great one bright spark.....get real and get in the real world..... a lot of crime could and would be prevented by us(the genral public) just taking a moment to "look after our own" would pay dividends all round.

scuse me...are you 'old bill' or just some other 'public servant' living off the backs of real tax payers? :lol:

Just someone who recognises another who is throwing a cop out(no pun intended). I thankfully don't have much to do with the police(in the nicest possible way) in a confrontational way but I am one who will give credit were credit is due,.....you are probably(and large assumptions here) someone who wouldn't have the bottle to do police work and gets off on slagging them off....you probably have the same attitude about the armed services.....ambulance service.....or other civil servants judging by your posts.......people like you are boring and have very little to say....other than whinging

scuse me...are you 'old bill' or just some other 'public servant' living off the backs of real tax payers? :)

Just someone who recognises another who is throwing a cop out(no pun intended). I thankfully don't have much to do with the police(in the nicest possible way) in a confrontational way but I am one who will give credit were credit is due,.....you are probably(and large assumptions here) someone who wouldn't have the bottle to do police work and gets off on slagging them off....you probably have the same attitude about the armed services.....ambulance service.....or other civil servants judging by your posts.......people like you are boring and have very little to say....other than whinging

Ouch...Actually I have a lot to say, you should ask Mrs H about my raves early in the morning at the stuff on radio 4 :)

My beef is this…If I call old bill (generally means the local nick some 18 miles away!) about a break in/robbery from the farm then I’m lucky if some brain dead jobsworth turns up next day to waste my time taking a statement. BUT when I’m driving around town (at less than 20mph) looking for a place to park and two boys in blue stop me to issue a ticket for not wearing a seat belt and can’t tell me the difference between a criminal and me ‘because breaking the law is breaking the law’ then I like so many others have lost all faith in our police force. Unfortunately it seems this government requires that if you want to join ‘the force’ you firstly have to have your brain removed assuming you had one in the first place (which if you WANT to join probably indicates not) as ‘thinking’ coppers aren’t required, just ones that ‘do the job’ which invariably means nicking every day people doing every day things ‘cause we’re easy targets. AND targets is what it’s all about! Sad but there's more...driving out of the lane the other day with Mrs H in her car which just happens to have a personal plate on and there's a BAD accident at the junction, police, ambulances everywhere so not a quick knock and exchange job this. What happens? As we sit at the junction one of the coppers walks over and asks us to pull in. WHY? to explain (in the midst of all this carnage) that the number plate is illegal and would we please get it altered before he has to issue a fine! Kept my mouth shut but my mind was thinking...

Someone with an axe to grind....get over it....yr=es maybe they won't get jack the ripper from dusting the doorhandle....put your seat belt on......you mat=ybe then won't watse about £3,000 in NHS subsidies sorting your smashed face in when you have a minor shunt. yeah lets all not pay taxes so we don't have a police force and when someone comes along and murders your lot .what are you going to do......go and murder them......yeah great one bright spark.....get real and get in the real world..... a lot of crime could and would be prevented by us(the genral public) just taking a moment to "look after our own" would pay dividends all round.

Last post Highlander is a typical outcome from plod. If anyone wants to get in the real world DFB, it's you, obviously you haven't had much experience with plod in the way Highlander describes, maybe if you have, you would think before your replies.

Maybe you should put in for Chief Constable, turn the world around over night..........yer right!!!!

On the radio not so long back, something I didn't know, is that the Chief Constables get bonus :) for what you might ask, numbers, how many's nicked. Where did I hear that you ask, from a plod himself who was on Newcastle Radio for an hour, he's wrote a book all about it. Got to get a certain number every month, or, no BONUS, he actually say's they were told to get out & nick anybody for anything :) Justify the job by numbers ie; excatly what Highlander talks about, number plates, speeding, baldy tyre, no tax, no seat belts, easy targets, the list is endless with them.

Falls on deaf ears anyone standing up for them, the village bobbie's long gone...............

BJ.

scuse me...are you 'old bill' or just some other 'public servant' living off the backs of real tax payers? :)

Ouch...Actually I have a lot to say, you should ask Mrs H about my raves early in the morning at the stuff on radio 4 :)

My beef is this…If I call old bill (generally means the local nick some 18 miles away!) about a break in/robbery from the farm then I’m lucky if some brain dead jobsworth turns up next day to waste my time taking a statement. BUT when I’m driving around town (at less than 20mph) looking for a place to park and two boys in blue stop me to issue a ticket for not wearing a seat belt and can’t tell me the difference between a criminal and me ‘because breaking the law is breaking the law’ then I like so many others have lost all faith in our police force. Unfortunately it seems this government requires that if you want to join ‘the force’ you firstly have to have your brain removed assuming you had one in the first place (which if you WANT to join probably indicates not) as ‘thinking’ coppers aren’t required, just ones that ‘do the job’ which invariably means nicking every day people doing every day things ‘cause we’re easy targets. AND targets is what it’s all about! Sad but there's more...driving out of the lane the other day with Mrs H in her car which just happens to have a personal plate on and there's a BAD accident at the junction, police, ambulances everywhere so not a quick knock and exchange job this. What happens? As we sit at the junction one of the coppers walks over and asks us to pull in. WHY? to explain (in the midst of all this carnage) that the number plate is illegal and would we please get it altered before he has to issue a fine! Kept my mouth shut but my mind was thinking...

Just when i thought you were going to enter into intelligent debate.....if you have a dodgy number plate get it sorted....you can have no complaints at getting pulled.....don't use an accident elsewhere for justification ..even at 20mph without a seat belt it is your responsiblity....stop moaning.....take the ticket.... as for not having brains etc that is just childish....of course police officers have brains....you just fall into a whinge where you cannot be taken seriously....if you have a genuine gripe(and you may very well do so) at least put it in an adult format and then at least you will not sound like a post pubescent just having a juvenile dig. I am sure you are not that but you sound as much... do not take responsibilty for "so many others who have lost faith"..........speak for yourself.....govt states that you have to have your brain removed....sounds like the only one with common sense removed is yourself with comments like that....like I said you prob have legitimate issues but you open yourself right up by posting responses like that.

Last post Highlander is a typical outcome from plod. If anyone wants to get in the real world DFB, it's you, obviously you haven't had much experience with plod in the way Highlander describes, maybe if you have, you would think before your replies.

Maybe you should put in for Chief Constable, turn the world around over night..........yer right!!!!

On the radio not so long back, something I didn't know, is that the Chief Constables get bonus :) for what you might ask, numbers, how many's nicked. Where did I hear that you ask, from a plod himself who was on Newcastle Radio for an hour, he's wrote a book all about it. Got to get a certain number every month, or, no BONUS, he actually say's they were told to get out & nick anybody for anything :) Justify the job by numbers ie; excatly what Highlander talks about, number plates, speeding, baldy tyre, no tax, no seat belts, easy targets, the list is endless with them.

Falls on deaf ears anyone standing up for them, the village bobbie's long gone...............

BJ.

Mate you are living in cloud cookoo land...the old bill do not get bouses for giving out tickets....it would be totally unlawful.....this is just niave scare mongering from left wing braod sheets....where is your proof....some copper who has prob been passed over for promotion and due to retire throws a bit of mud....if you want true life mate Pm me and I will give you true life as far as the old bill are converned....haven't had much experience.....yeah right....I am not daft enought to get caught without a seat belt....I am not daft enough to have a dodgy numberplate....I pay my taxes like everyone else etc etc. no I wouldn't put in for a chief constable place....I haven't fought crime for 20 odd years. Of course they probably get a pat on the back for how many are nicked...I know a few coppers and they are level headed decent people......who are aware of the failings of their profession.....but get on with doing theb best that they can.....take a bit of resp.....don't drive with baldy tyres etc etc....the laws are there for a reason.....wet roads...baldy tyres.....dead pedestarians......grow up mate

I think the accident issue was just highlighting the police's focus on "soft crime" like seat belts etc while not addressing more serious crime like burglarly, rape and murder. I do agree certain coporate practices should be incorporated into managing the police but "targets" for a certain amount of arrests are completely wrong, in order to get promoted people are going to want to look good and the easiest way is to hammer your targets, so as a result going for easy arrests/fines, hence the parking and littering. A prime example of this is in the news last week a grandmother being fined when her grandaughter dropped her crisp packet, which she cleaned up but missed two wosits!

I personally a while back was round a friend's when the police turnt up, saying they had 3 complaints about him shooting at windows with his air rifle. Fair enought the police were duty bound to investigate BUT the fact they WOULD NOT come into the garden to view the backstop and see that the "windows" in question where around 80yds away and just take my friends details anyway was unacceptable.

If they had come into the garden and looked they would have realised it was impossible and that it was just a petty neighbour making a complaint as a) we were students and :) he was firing it late in the evening.

Mate you are living in cloud cookoo land...the old bill do not get bouses for giving out tickets....it would be totally unlawful.....this is just niave scare mongering from left wing braod sheets....where is your proof....some copper who has prob been passed over for promotion and due to retire throws a bit of mud....

Just shows how much you really know, & quite obvious you cannot read either.......... Newcastle Radio, Mike Parrs program 7-9 every week day morning, half the N/E heard it, & this copper still works for Northumbria Police.

if you want true life mate Pm me and I will give you true life as far as the old bill are converned.

Yer right. like I said its you who wants to enter the real world :):):)

grow up mate

I have,

BJ.

I think the accident issue was just highlighting the police's focus on "soft crime" like seat belts etc while not addressing more serious crime like burglarly, rape and murder. I do agree certain coporate practices should be incorporated into managing the police but "targets" for a certain amount of arrests are completely wrong, in order to get promoted people are going to want to look good and the easiest way is to hammer your targets, so as a result going for easy arrests/fines, hence the parking and littering. A prime example of this is in the news last week a grandmother being fined when her grandaughter dropped her crisp packet, which she cleaned up but missed two wosits!

I personally a while back was round a friend's when the police turnt up, saying they had 3 complaints about him shooting at windows with his air rifle. Fair enought the police were duty bound to investigate BUT the fact they WOULD NOT come into the garden to view the backstop and see that the "windows" in question where around 80yds away and just take my friends details anyway was unacceptable.

If they had come into the garden and looked they would have realised it was impossible and that it was just a petty neighbour making a complaint as a) we were students and :) he was firing it late in the evening.

And that is the thing mate......coppers do nopt get promoted on how many collars are felt....if only...the world would be a better place...as for your example yes there appears to be failings....theb old bill are not robots...they apply the law as they see it....they are each individuals and will react differently in any given moment.....people are not an exact science and policing is not an eaxact science. Of course ther are foos wearing blue.....just like any professsion.....even more so in the police as they are meant to represent the community....and there are plenty of fools in the community

And that is the thing mate......coppers do nopt get promoted on how many collars are felt....if only...the world would be a better place...as for your example yes there appears to be failings....theb old bill are not robots...they apply the law as they see it....they are each individuals and will react differently in any given moment.....people are not an exact science and policing is not an eaxact science. Of course ther are foos wearing blue.....just like any professsion.....even more so in the police as they are meant to represent the community....and there are plenty of fools in the community

Talikng of fools must sort my typing out....as above :)