What is a Cut Compensator?

ShaggyRS6

And what is the difference in using one instead of a silencer and should I use one instead off?

I think that what I mean to say :good:

A cutts compensator is mainly used on shotguns for controling recoil .Its a larger piece of pipe with slots cut into it, the blast hits the rear edges suposedly pushing the barrel forwards reducing recoil.Used mainly on autos. :lol:

And what is the difference in using one instead of a silencer and should I use one instead off?

I think that what I mean to say :good:

A cutts compensator is mainly used on shotguns for controling recoil .Its a larger piece of pipe with slots cut into it, the blast hits the rear edges suposedly pushing the barrel forwards reducing recoil.Used mainly on autos. :lol:

OK, I wondered because there is one fitted tio the Daystate X3 I have my eye on.

The Cutts was also used almost prolifically on the Thompson sub-machine gun. It will work on any gun which requires the muzzle-flip to be reduced.

Probably of little value on an air rifle - but give it a try.

Cheers

Duster

The Cutts was also used almost prolifically on the Thompson sub-machine gun. It will work on any gun which requires the muzzle-flip to be reduced.

Probably of little value on an air rifle - but give it a try.

Cheers

Duster

If I get the gun I will get a good sliencer. Any suggestion. No budget.

Edit: Duster beat me to it.

If I recall correctly, a compensator is a weighted extension of the barrel. It's often used where muzzle flip needs to be minimised, for example when shooting practical or rapid-fire pistol. The extra forward mass, and the venting of the muzzle blast upwards only, helps to counteract muzzle flip.

It's not a true muzzle brake, I believe, such as one seen on a 105mm Light Gun, or a .338 or .50 cal rifle. A muzzle brake is used to alleviate recoil forces, not muzzle flip. However the muzzle blast/noise signature when using a brake is pretty intense. Unless a muzzle brake vents the blast horizontally, it'll kick up any ground dust/light debris, should you be shooting from a prone position. That, and the glaringly obvious muzzle flash make life slightly difficult should you wish to remain concealed.

If I recall correctly, a compensator is a weighted extension of the barrel. It's often used where muzzle flip needs to be minimised, for example when shooting practical or rapid-fire pistol. The extra forward mass, and the venting of the muzzle blast upwards only, helps to counteract muzzle flip.

It's not a true muzzle brake, I believe, such as one seen on a 105mm Light Gun, or a .338 or .50 cal rifle. A muzzle brake is used to alleviate recoil forces, not muzzle flip. However the muzzle blast/noise signature when using a brake is pretty intense. Unless a muzzle brake vents the blast horizontally, it'll kick up any ground dust/light debris, should you be shooting from a prone position. That, and the glaringly obvious muzzle flash make life slightly difficult should you wish to remain concealed.

So why would someone put one of these on an Air Rifle?

So why would someone put one of these on an Air Rifle?

Well if it reduces recoil, surely it would be more shootable? Although I do bet it wont give muzzle flash and kick up dirt even if you chose to make it run at 60ftlbs :lol: like baldrick discribed!

Here we go then, purely coincidently I was clearing down some camera memory cards and found this video clip from Bisley a couple of weeks ago.

It's very short, but shows how effective muzzle brakes are on guns that actually need them.

They are ugly and bloody unsociable, but they do work.

The gun is .308/7.62, if you watch the end of the barrel you can just about see the blast.

(very poor quality vid sorry about that)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sha...rrent=Movie.flv