Powershot size?

Guest cookoff013

you do realise that the density and sizing differences make this tastk really really hard?

in the smallest nontoxic wad thats rated for powershot is 24g steel and this holds 42g of powershot hw13. i know i just loaded some not 2 weeks ago.

as for the ounce, you`d need a 20gauge wad nontoxic stuffed in the 12g/24gsteelwad (maybe), and cut down, but that is still 32g loads. as for load data, i couldnt sya, as for size, i would load up #2s for geese, probably a good solid 42g off 4s would do the job too.

but i dont push speeds that fast, let the shot do the work.

personally i think your project is not ideal.

density and shotcount would go against you, but i wish you the best of luck,

the 42g loads i did work out to £50, a box of 25. but they are full fat loads, at mediocre speeds.

I just picked the 1oz because there is a load for that in the Cheddlte load book, it is with the B&P24 wad .

I have never loaded this stuff before and i am just trying figure out how to go about it.

If you have a 12bore 2.75" load that you could let me know about that would be a great help :good:

I just picked the 1oz because there is a load for that in the Cheddlte load book, it is with the B&P24 wad .

I have never loaded this stuff before and i am just trying figure out how to go about it.

If you have a 12bore 2.75" load that you could let me know about that would be a great help :good:

Just look up Hevi Shot load data and use that. Personally I've found the 3' s ( could be 4's) pattern far better than the 2's and if put up front in the right place will kill further than most of us are capable of killing consistently eg 8 out 10.

Guest cookoff013

sorry, its 3".

could you share this load with me? either here or pm.

i am starting to experiment with the exotics.

power shot in 3.5mm runs at 100 to the oz so you will be on the low side for shot count . a 11/8oz or 11/4oz will lift that up to 125 pellets I think the next shot size is 3mm that clay game keep in stock not used it that small for geese but the 3.5mm works well . look for 23/4" loads for hevi shot there is plenty of data on the net . long shot is a good powder for this with loads from 1oz up to 1 1/4oz

sorry, its 3".

could you share this load with me? either here or pm.

i am starting to experiment with the exotics.

The loads is for ITX Extreme 13 and is from the cheddite book

Case: 2.75 cheddite Primer cx2000, Powder Longshot 34.5 gr , Wad B&P24, 1/4" Felt in base, Shot 437 gr HW13 NO4, PSI 10600, 1520FPS

I have all the components for this load i was just wondering what size shot would be best for foreshore geese

Guest cookoff013

1/4" felt in the shotcup.

i thought it would be something like that.

thats also a low pellet count.....

thanks for the data, it doesnt seem that unreasonable either...

that cheddite book is BPI ?

Interestingly I have just loaded 1.25 oz in 12 gauge of powershot 3.5mm

Patterns fine at 40 yds through half choke on the sx3 but thin at 50yards

I used the hevi shot load recipe from Alliants manual on the web.

Can anyone give me some sort of comparison of what the equivalant steel shot size would be as far as same energy\lethality versus a 3.5mm powershot pellet?

Can anyone give me some sort of comparison of what the equivalant steel shot size would be as far as same energy\lethality versus a 3.5mm powershot pellet?

That is exactly why I use full/extra full chokes.

To the op, if you are intent on using ounce loads, I would go for 4s if you can get them. They will still easily have plenty of energy for 60 yard geese.

I have killed a few geese with HW18 7.5s this season. It kills geese better than you might expect.

I would rate it higher than any size steel shot that you will have fired.

The loads is for ITX Extreme 13 and is from the cheddite book

Case: 2.75 cheddite Primer cx2000, Powder Longshot 34.5 gr , Wad B&P24, 1/4" Felt in base, Shot 437 gr HW13 NO4, PSI 10600, 1520FPS

I have all the components for this load i was just wondering what size shot would be best for foreshore geese

I would probably drop 1 or 1.5gn off that powder charge. That kind of speed is unnecessary.

Hi Motty,

What full chokes have you tried powershot with?

Cheers

Mark

I have not used Powershot per se, but I have used plenty of HW13, which is basically the same thing.

I have used my .655 Terror in the 12 and .705 Terror in the 10. I have also used an extra full Briley in the 12.

To the op, if you are intent on using ounce loads,

I was going to use the 1oz loads mainly for sons gun, he is using an AYA No3 with 70mm chambers, i was hoping the powershot would give him a better chance at nailing the occasional goose if one comes close enough.

Admittedly a 20ga but i only use a 70mm 1oz 3's and it's Devastating on Geese if i do my job.

A mate gave my Grandson some 32grm Hevi Shot they also knocked them down.

Personally myself i would load your Son some 36grm 3's But even a 1oz load will do a fantastic job.

Expensive i know but get a load sort to your Son's gun and they will definitely put extra Geese in the Bag. If you're Son's gun is Steel proofed i shoot a lot of Foreshore Geese with a 70mm 32grm Steel 2's home load .

Keep us posted how things go 👍

To the op, if you are intent on using ounce loads,

I was going to use the 1oz loads mainly for sons gun, he is using an AYA No3 with 70mm chambers, i was hoping the powershot would give him a better chance at nailing the occasional goose if one comes close enough.

There is nothing wrong with an ounce load. I just think with a small payload of dense pellets, you would probably be better off with a smaller shot size.

Any idea what constriction a briley XF or F is to compare to a .655 terror?

I don't have a clue, but I know the XF Briley is nowhere near as tight as the Terror.