38 replies to this topic

#21 roughcoat

roughcoat
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Thanks roughcoat.... I've got a 'watch' set up for ML10 bits on fleabay but don't think I've seen a leadscrew come up in a few months, I know where there is one but the guy is taking his time getting round to giving me the condition and a price.  :|

Hey ho... one day, I didn't want to go down the metric route due to the expense of changing other bits but it has been suggested that I could just run a metric leadscrew with the cross and top slide in the original Imperial.  I had thought about screw cutting and I don't know enough (like..... zilch) about whether that would work with the mix of Metric/Imperial thread components.I

Cheers

Fizz

:ninja:  

I'd hold out for the right leadscrew if I was you,I just use tap's and die's to cut the threads I need, I'm no expert myself but like you I will give it a go one day

#22 amateur

amateur
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2900 posts
  • Joined 29-July 08
  • From:Deepest suburbia to the Sarfeast of Lunnon / NW Kent

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

Thanks roughcoat.... I've got a 'watch' set up for ML10 bits on fleabay but don't think I've seen a leadscrew come up in a few months, I know where there is one but the guy is taking his time getting round to giving me the condition and a price.  :|

Hey ho... one day, I didn't want to go down the metric route due to the expense of changing other bits but it has been suggested that I could just run a metric leadscrew with the cross and top slide in the original Imperial.  I had thought about screw cutting and I don't know enough (like..... zilch) about whether that would work with the mix of Metric/Imperial thread components.

Cheers

Fizz

:ninja:  

I suppose that if you have a 127 tooth gear wheel you could use a metric lead screw - I've done it the other way around ie cutting a metric thread on my imperial lathe and converting the pitch with the 127 gear, but it was a bit of a swine to set up

#23 roughcoat

roughcoat
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Here's an interesting site,loads of info and useful stuff gear cutting and the like on mini lathes http://www.cgtk.co.uk/. 

I follow a chap called John on youtube goes by the name of "doubleboost" https://www.youtube....tZ1GKUQTrz4-CXw, all down to earth and easy listening for budding machinists and a bit mad which helps :) .

Edited by roughcoat, 02 February 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#24 1066

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Joined 06-March 12

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

I've got an old 1960's ex-college Colchester Bantam. Got it off Ebay for £480 and very pleased with it. I also recently treated myself to a Amadeal M25 milling machine. I've added full DRO and again, very pleased.

Here's something I recently knocked up:

#25 mick miller

mick miller
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4993 posts
  • Joined 29-March 09

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

My secret hobbyist hero. Those scales are still awesome by the way!

#26 1066

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Joined 06-March 12

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

My secret hobbyist hero. Those scales are still awesome by the way!

:) :) Thank you Mick. Just building myself a new 20' x14' workshop but when it's up and running I'll be picking your brains about 3D printing - really think I need one.

th_20170102_153038_zps78k43qqo.jpg

#27 fruitloop

fruitloop
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts
  • Joined 16-June 10

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

I have just got my self a cnc router .spent all Christmas teaching myself cad cam

#28 mick miller

mick miller
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4993 posts
  • Joined 29-March 09

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Pick away, I can give you some recommendations and advice.

This is a pretty comprehensive review of them all though, and can be trusted as it's taken from a combination of owner review and 3D hubs review. I opted for 'Plug and Play' Robox, as it's a UK company with a good track record and, whilst manufacturing and assembly still takes place in the far east, the design, support, servicing and development is British.

https://www.3dhubs.c...d-printer-guide

Edited by mick miller, 02 March 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#29 figgy

figgy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8958 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Thinking of buying a lathe for my home garage workshop. Rather than start a new thread thought I'd ask on here asivd lookecon some lathe and turning forums and it makes your head spin as they all seem to slate anything Chinese or hobby stuff.

Are the hobby lathes any good,do they have through chucks so you can nearly double the length of your work piece, are they ok second hand buys or are you better off looking for a smaller older Myford engineering type lathe like the photos in postes above?

Not used a lathe in years but I'm not daft so would like to be able the play and make things I need like airgun silencers, bolts nuts make spindles and shafts etc and if I fancy it chuck a bit of tree on it and a rest and make sawdust.

Sorry for hijacking piggybacking this thread just seemed silly to start a new one.

#30 activeviii

activeviii
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4001 posts
  • Joined 23-July 08

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Work out what it is you want to do on the lathe. then you can narrow down your search.

I spent a year or so before i bought the Boxford AUD. Only down side was i did not know back then that one day i might be back into shooting and need a lather with a larger though hole. on the boxford its almost 20mm. pain in the bum when i want to screwcut a barrel.

I no engineer, more of a shed dweller. I want a colchester student but no room left in shedshop. at the moment i have 3 lathes running. one, the chester, will be up for sale very soon as i dont use it, it cuts both metric and imperial, but never worked it out, plus has the over head mill, put it in last year, used the mill a few time, bought second hand to try doing a job, ended up doing it a different way so never set it up properly, i just use as a drill press.

my boxford metric that will also cut imperial threads. use it most days, runs 3ph with a transwave inverter. 

also a 1960 derbyshire watchmakers lathe. only ever been used for making compass points. i dont use it now, its in storage at the moment. my father in law gave it me and so will keep it, been offered good money for it but ill keep it.

i have looked at the chinese one but all the plastic gearing put me off, there are a few that have cast gears and they will be the ones i look for. on watching one local to me at the moment so i might just end up buying one.

67d9b9be.jpg

b706071e.jpg

#31 Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2772 posts
  • Joined 19-September 05

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

Have a look at a bloke on Utube under the name titanium, he's got a few vids on chinese lathes.

Edited by Bazooka Joe, 03 May 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#32 figgy

figgy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8958 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

Cheers for the suggestions, not sure there is s perfect lathe for my needs as occasional use. Want all the benefits of a mill lathe but not the cost or size so compromise is s must.

I have a cheap drill press that will do most of my drilling needs.

Just seen on eBay metal gear sets for under £50.00 so you could do away with the plastic ones.

Edited by figgy, 03 May 2017 - 05:24 PM.

#33 figgy

figgy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8958 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

Have a look at a bloke on Utube under the name titanium, he's got a few vids on chinese lathes.

Any chance of a link as nothing is coming up for him when I search thanks.

#34 a303

a303
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Joined 28-August 14

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

Have a Myford Super 7, only fault is that I'm increasingly finding it a bit small for jobs.

#35 Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2772 posts
  • Joined 19-September 05

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

Any chance of a link as nothing is coming up for him when I search thanks.

Sorry should have put one up.

He's changed his name again that's why you couldn't find him.

https://www.youtube....Bpdegp-w/videos

#36 figgy

figgy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8958 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

After looking around I think a Myford super seven or boxford similar will do all I need. Seems about the right size and parts are easy to get..
Some silly prices around on eBay. I've seen full size engineers industrial toolmaker turners lathes go cheaper at industrial auctions.

#37 figgy

figgy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8958 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

Been watching him and another called Myford boy some good videos and tips.

#38 Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2772 posts
  • Joined 19-September 05

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

Seems about the right size and parts are easy to get..

Parts for Myford/Boxford tend to command a high price, you can pay more for them that you would pay for a lathe.

#39 figgy

figgy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8958 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

Bazooka Joe what would you recommend ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users