27 replies to this topic

#21 roughcoat

roughcoat
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Thanks roughcoat.... I've got a 'watch' set up for ML10 bits on fleabay but don't think I've seen a leadscrew come up in a few months, I know where there is one but the guy is taking his time getting round to giving me the condition and a price.  :|

Hey ho... one day, I didn't want to go down the metric route due to the expense of changing other bits but it has been suggested that I could just run a metric leadscrew with the cross and top slide in the original Imperial.  I had thought about screw cutting and I don't know enough (like..... zilch) about whether that would work with the mix of Metric/Imperial thread components.I

Cheers

Fizz

:ninja:  

I'd hold out for the right leadscrew if I was you,I just use tap's and die's to cut the threads I need, I'm no expert myself but like you I will give it a go one day

#22 amateur

amateur
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2824 posts
  • Joined 29-July 08
  • From:Deepest suburbia to the Sarfeast of Lunnon / NW Kent

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

Thanks roughcoat.... I've got a 'watch' set up for ML10 bits on fleabay but don't think I've seen a leadscrew come up in a few months, I know where there is one but the guy is taking his time getting round to giving me the condition and a price.  :|

Hey ho... one day, I didn't want to go down the metric route due to the expense of changing other bits but it has been suggested that I could just run a metric leadscrew with the cross and top slide in the original Imperial.  I had thought about screw cutting and I don't know enough (like..... zilch) about whether that would work with the mix of Metric/Imperial thread components.

Cheers

Fizz

:ninja:  

I suppose that if you have a 127 tooth gear wheel you could use a metric lead screw - I've done it the other way around ie cutting a metric thread on my imperial lathe and converting the pitch with the 127 gear, but it was a bit of a swine to set up

#23 roughcoat

roughcoat
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Here's an interesting site,loads of info and useful stuff gear cutting and the like on mini lathes http://www.cgtk.co.uk/. 

I follow a chap called John on youtube goes by the name of "doubleboost" https://www.youtube....tZ1GKUQTrz4-CXw, all down to earth and easy listening for budding machinists and a bit mad which helps :) .

Edited by roughcoat, 02 February 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#24 1066

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Joined 06-March 12

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

I've got an old 1960's ex-college Colchester Bantam. Got it off Ebay for £480 and very pleased with it. I also recently treated myself to a Amadeal M25 milling machine. I've added full DRO and again, very pleased.

Here's something I recently knocked up:

#25 mick miller

mick miller
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4895 posts
  • Joined 29-March 09

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

My secret hobbyist hero. Those scales are still awesome by the way!

#26 1066

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Joined 06-March 12

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:00 AM

My secret hobbyist hero. Those scales are still awesome by the way!

:) :) Thank you Mick. Just building myself a new 20' x14' workshop but when it's up and running I'll be picking your brains about 3D printing - really think I need one.

th_20170102_153038_zps78k43qqo.jpg

#27 fruitloop

fruitloop
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1680 posts
  • Joined 16-June 10

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

I have just got my self a cnc router .spent all Christmas teaching myself cad cam

#28 mick miller

mick miller
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4895 posts
  • Joined 29-March 09

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Pick away, I can give you some recommendations and advice.

This is a pretty comprehensive review of them all though, and can be trusted as it's taken from a combination of owner review and 3D hubs review. I opted for 'Plug and Play' Robox, as it's a UK company with a good track record and, whilst manufacturing and assembly still takes place in the far east, the design, support, servicing and development is British.

https://www.3dhubs.c...d-printer-guide

Edited by mick miller, 02 March 2017 - 01:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users