Where to "position" a magnet?

Mark E

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the placement of a pigeon magnet, in relation to the rest of your decoys!?

I have just got hold of a magnet, and went out with it, excitedly expecting to be overwhelmed with birds, and need to return home at least twice to pick up extra cartridges (well, we live in hope right!?). But returned a little dissapointed.

The problem could be nothing (or everything) to do with the magnet or it's position to be fair, which is half my problem, I don't know if there's a "rule" for it's placement.

Do you, put it at either end of the "U"? Do you put it in the centre? Do you put it 3 roads down on the right, just passed the phone box!? (last one was a joke!)

Many thanks

Mark

:huh:

If and when I use my magnet I stick it about 15 yards up front of the leading bird in my decoy pattern, these rotary's do spook the birds so better they spook in range than before you can nail em, not to dissapoint you but I have never had much joy with my rotary, much prefair floaters and a flapper, mind you one day it might do the buisiness and I will start shouting its the best thing since sliced bread.

cheers K

I always put the magnet upwind and where applicable up hill of my main decoy pattern by about 5 yards. It gives the birds a clear area to try and aim for, having said that its not uncommon for the birds to try and land on the magnet and nearly get hit by its arms. I think it depends on how many people use magnets in your area, up here were pretty lucky the birds are quite uneducated by them.

Mark.

My dad has always taught me a little trick about pigeon decoying! He said before you set up throw a couple of hand full of sweetcorn out in the field. And the pigeons see it and come and feed on it! But never tried it?

The next trick i have tried is when you are hiding in your hide and you see a pigeon flying striaght pass the decoys, throw a dead pigeon out your hide and the pigeon will turn striaght away! I tried it and it worked. Seen it on pigeon shooting videos!

Sorry not answer to the subject!

PD

My dad has always taught me a little trick about pigeon decoying! He said before you set up throw a couple of hand full of sweetcorn out in the field. And the pigeons see it and come and feed on it! But never tried it?

Would I be right in saying that it is illeagal to put bait out for the pigeons?

It is illegal to decoy pigeons for the sole perpous of killing them, decoying on crops is protecting the crops. I think putting bait down is illegal, but if you had some bird feeders in your garden, then shooting the pigeons would be saving the tits, as they are feeding off the seed - i am not saying put up bird feeders around your garden, just to shoot pigeons, as that would be unsporting and probably illegal.

PD, it is best to stop what you are doing and stick to the hard and fast rules (even if they are few and far between) Just use decoys.

throwing a dead pigeon out isnt illegal is it? cos id have thought that its being used as a decoy. unless you mean the sweetcorn.

In relation to the magnet question. I have found (on the flightlines i usually shoot) that placing the magnet 15 - 20 yrds behind the main pattern allows pigeons at a greater distance to notice the pattern, this usually draws a good few kills in, but note, i have had some bad days aswell.

It is illegal to decoy pigeons for the sole perpous of killing them, decoying on crops is protecting the crops. I think putting bait down is illegal, but if you had some bird feeders in your garden, then shooting the pigeons would be saving the tits, as they are feeding off the seed - i am not saying put up bird feeders around your garden, just to shoot pigeons, as that would be unsporting and probably illegal.

PD, it is best to stop what you are doing and stick to the hard and fast rules (even if they are few and far between) Just use decoys.

I can't see how in a court of law that would stand up. After all you could argue that every time a farmer plants a field with a crop he's is "baiting" as well.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the placement of a pigeon magnet, in relation to the rest of your decoys!?

I have just got hold of a magnet, and went out with it, excitedly expecting to be overwhelmed with birds, and need to return home at least twice to pick up extra cartridges (well, we live in hope right!?). But returned a little dissapointed.

The problem could be nothing (or everything) to do with the magnet or it's position to be fair, which is half my problem, I don't know if there's a "rule" for it's placement.

Do you, put it at either end of the "U"? Do you put it in the centre? Do you put it 3 roads down on the right, just passed the phone box!? (last one was a joke!)

Many thanks

Mark

:huh:

01-patte.gif

02-patte.gif

04-patte.gif

We usually just stick the magnet approx 30 yards of our hide and don't use other decoys just use dead birds as we shoot them. The fiels have usually been watched beforehand though so we know the birds are on them. Or we travel around to find them and then shoot two first and then up goes the magnet. :huh: