Problem with Tikka T3

zipdog

I have a tikka T3 222, iv only fired about 60 rounds through.

On my last outing I had five incidences where I got a click and no bang, Im not sure if this was down to the ammunition or my gun. However, trying to identify the problem iv dry fired the rifle. The majority of times I get a solid click, however one in say ten the report is quite or dull, sounds and looks like the firing pin isn’t going forward very quick. I can tell the speed seems slow by looking at the red dot on the back of the bolt.

I have disassemble and cleaned the inside of the bolt. The inside was sticky which I’m assuming is the oil they used at factory.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this.

Thanks in advance

Zipdog

Edited by zipdog

So you have stripped the bolt right down, if you haven't there are tutorials on youtube, the internals should all be clean and dry. The only thing that could really cause this is a weak spring but that would be unusual on a tikka. Only 60 rnds, how old and was it new, if from new it should still have some sort of warrantee from the RFD.

strip all oil out of the bolt. acetone or paraffin will do the job. only use dry lube. Tikka recommend to use none but i use dry graphite. once clean, assemble but dont put the shroud on. with the allen key still in the back, slowly turn so the pin starts to show in the bolt face. is it getting caught on one side. if it is then your pin might be bent.

there was also a bad batch of ammo with the primers seated to deeply which stops the primer anvil activation correctly and then no matter how many times you ping the primer, it will not fire. PPU i know had a bad batch. there was someone else but i cant remember who it was.

strip all oil out of the bolt. acetone or paraffin will do the job. only use dry lube. Tikka recommend to use none but i use dry graphite. once clean, assemble but dont put the shroud on. with the allen key still in the back, slowly turn so the pin starts to show in the bolt face. is it getting caught on one side. if it is then your pin might be bent.

there was also a bad batch of ammo with the primers seated to deeply which stops the primer anvil activation correctly and then no matter how many times you ping the primer, it will not fire. PPU i know had a bad batch. there was someone else but i cant remember who it was.

Thank you very much for all the responses.

Activeviii I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the firing pin getting caught on one side. I never though of that but that is the only reason I can now think of why it only occurs on in every ten or so shots. I will try it out and report back over the weekend.

Many thanks

Zipdog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The rifle has now been returned from Tikka. They replaced all of the parts in the bolt so I guess we will never know exactly what the problem was. Upon getting the rifle home I notice slight damage to the crown had occurred at some stage, so back to the gun shop, who apologised and inspected it and though it might be ok.

Took the rifle out today, zeroed at 100 yards and grouped less than an inch at 200 yards so very happy.

Outstanding service from Forest Lodge Guns and Tikka throughout :good:

200%20yard%20group_zpsevit80nw.jpg

Edited by zipdog