Cartridge Doubts

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i make carts and badge them to what i think i call a 2.9 mm shot a four and half then people tell me they shoot a italian make badged 5 then they say i dont want 4.5 i want a 5 like my eye tie stuff wot i am shooting so i say are u sackless stupid or just a divvy coz thats wot you are shooting now look on the box it tells u 2.9mm thats 4 and a half so the morale is plain folk just do not no wot they are shooting i could not give a monkeys as reguards wot people want the lead price is all the same to me from 1.9mm to 3.3mm its all the same price per ton so you want 10 k carts loaded with your name on any size shot you want if i have it but for me 32 gram 4.5 in 2.9 mm i can load and try owt i want thats my swag thats all folks cheers george 07714 323 909

I'm surprised you have any customers, talking like that.

I think most switched on people know exactly what they are shooting.

How many of us have done a penetration test ? I was particularly interested in the penetration ability of ITX Non toxic and subsequently tested my reloads to see what they would go through. I soaked newsprint overnight and laid it tight together until it was a little over 1 inch thick. I then let this soak again overnight in a bucket of water. I fixed this to a 3/8th inch hard wood ply board and shot from a measured (tape not strides) 35yrds. The newsprint was approx. 12 inch by 6 inches and I had five hits with the full choke barrel from my Yilditz 410. On checking the hits from shot which was supposed to be #6s but looked nearer #5s had penetrated straight through the newsprint and had buried itself the depth of the shot in the ply. I believe that test as near relates to shooting a mallard as can be and I have shot a fair few with the cartridge since.

I then tested the #8 Fiocchi 3inch 410 magnums at the same distance, similar set up and this shot went through and settled against the ply just leaving an indentation. I think that relates to the breast area of a partridge or pheasant and during the later part of this last season I killed a number of tall birds with that cartridge much to the amazement of some of my shooting companions and on one occasion the gamekeeper.

Don't blame your cartridge all the time .... we're human, remember :yes::unhappy:

How many of us have done a penetration test ? I was particularly interested in the penetration ability of ITX Non toxic and subsequently tested my reloads to see what they would go through. I soaked newsprint overnight and laid it tight together until it was a little over 1 inch thick. I then let this soak again overnight in a bucket of water. I fixed this to a 3/8th inch hard wood ply board and shot from a measured (tape not strides) 35yrds. The newsprint was approx. 12 inch by 6 inches and I had five hits with the full choke barrel from my Yilditz 410. On checking the hits from shot which was supposed to be #6s but looked nearer #5s had penetrated straight through the newsprint and had buried itself the depth of the shot in the ply. I believe that test as near relates to shooting a mallard as can be and I have shot a fair few with the cartridge since.

I then tested the #8 Fiocchi 3inch 410 magnums at the same distance, similar set up and this shot went through and settled against the ply just leaving an indentation. I think that relates to the breast area of a partridge or pheasant and during the later part of this last season I killed a number of tall birds with that cartridge much to the amazement of some of my shooting companions and on one occasion the gamekeeper.

Don't blame your cartridge all the time .... we're human, remember :yes::unhappy:

I always measure the shot, so I know exactly what size I am dealing with.