.177 hunting pellets

ips

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have always had a fairly good ability to read the wind and have not found any real problems with the .177 out to 40yrds. I had one feral this morning at about 40yrds on the ridge of the cow shed, saw the first pellet strike about 2 inches to the left and realised I was out of the wind but it was blowing quite hard along the side of the shed. The feral was very patient whilst I slipped another pellet in and aiming about an inch high and inch right the 10.3 grains arrived with a solid THUNK!! and said feral tumbled down into the yard. Judging the wind is all part of the game really.

+1 for H&N Hunter Extremes in .177 (with a Remington express). I did get them in .22 a while back but they didn't wan't to group out of my HW95K, that rifle prefers RWS Superdome.

I'm not sure if anyone else has similar experience with performance differing by calibre? Perhaps just a pellet-fussy gun

10.3 grain not really different at 25 yds but what are they like at 30, 35 and 40 please ?

I am asking not just pellet drop but killing power.

Reason is that heavier .177 pellets start to mimic .22 and lose their speed quality which I believe is what makes the .177 lethal wound cavity rather than .22 wound channel.

I find that nearly all pellets do the job at 25 yds fairly evenly but extra distance is what separates the best from the also ran.

shooting some 10.3 Diabolos at the moment and clearing out some farmyard ferals. Very effective out to 30 ...35yrds and not really noticed any big difference in trajectory or windage. These ferals are not that big body wise but the pellet kills cleanly and you can hear the hit almost like a 22RF Subby hitting.

10.3 grain not really different at 25 yds but what are they like at 30, 35 and 40 please ?

I am asking not just pellet drop but killing power.

Reason is that heavier .177 pellets start to mimic .22 and lose their speed quality which I believe is what makes the .177 lethal wound cavity rather than .22 wound channel.

I find that nearly all pellets do the job at 25 yds fairly evenly but extra distance is what separates the best from the also ran.

To answer the question requires info on the quarry species and shot impact site and angle .

People often forget the quarry is the biggest factor in clean kills not the pellet.

Good info thanks for your speedy reply.

I do squirrels and magpies in the main and would like feedback on how they work on squirrels please.

My next tin was going to be 13.4 grain Falcon Accuracy Plus from your recommendation in .22, do you recommend the .22 version of the 10.3 Diabolos or are they different ?

Back to light verses heavy but i find it facinating that after generations of airgun shooting the same types of quarry that there is not a deffinitive optimum pellet for a given range or/ and quarry type.

I am on 150 plus magpies since June 2016 on one slurry pit and the 8.4s have done most of the damage, but the few I have shot recently with the 10.3s have been very positive. As said in the environs of the pit which is 40yrds long and 15yrds wide the heavier pellets trajectory is so similar that the magpie doesn't seem to notice. The impact of the 10s is very apparent both sound and reaction.

I'm just a beginner compared to Ultrastu.

I am just starting to clear some squirrels on feed rides for an estate and shot 17 a week or so ago, all with the 10s. All 20 to 30yrd body shots and all but three did not go more than a yard bouncing around and a couple made it to a tree, climbed a few feet and fell back dead. One was close enough to be certain of a head shot and just did the windmill with it's tail on the spot. This is all out of a TX200HV with silencer. The action was so quiet, the pheasants never stopped feeding and were joined by a half grown muntie.

Let's put it like this, for what I need, I am not going back to the 8.4s.

The TX200 does the job. If I need more then the 17HMR comes out. I'm there to do a job and I know that the hit in the ribs out to 25 -30yrds will do the job (the 10s do it even better) the one head shot was sat very still eating, all the others were just pausing as they crossed the ride with another acorn to stash, giving me just a split second to shoot. ...like, hop, hop, hop, pause, hop hop hop.. I just follow in the scope and when a convenient pause occurs, put one in the motor room. Had they been fully occupied sitting still then yes a head shot would been taken. I do have a squirrel feeder set up on that ride but at the moment they are pre occupied in collecting winter food and not using it.

Why a 177? Ask a couple of guys on here(Ultrastu being one), they pointed me in that direction and to the TX200 which is perfect for my needs. Certainly to date I cannot see the need for a 22 cal when the 177 has done everything I have asked of it.

FAC ... I have a 22RF and a 17HMR why would I need an FAC and having enquired of the air gurus on here a while back was advised not to go down that road anyway.

Just to join the head or chest debate, I shot a squirrel this afternoon from the bedroom window, he had been running around on the garage roof giving me the beady eye, came off ran round than went out of sight, reappeared face on and paused.

Took the shot through the chest, fell down and I could see the pellet had gone through and come out the back. Distance was only approx 13.5 mtrs angle approx. 17.5 deg. Squirrel wasn't moving but I Put another shot in the head once it was down, I normally always do this when shooting from the house even though its not needed.

I wouldn't have taken the body shot at 25mtrs plus but at sensible ranges I don't see a problem.

.22 accupell 14.3 grains

If you shot deer through the head people would say that you were irresponsible and that is with a centrefire rifle !

Squirrels move their heads even when their bodies are still I think that it is more responsible to shoot them through their lungs and heart.

Having said that I shot one 25 mins ago through the head as that was the target presented to me. The large male has been playing hide and seek with me for the last 3 weeks.

So I wrapped my rifle in my waterproof jacket rather than my gun slip, pretended that I hadn't seen him run up the oak tree and as he was peering over the fork of a large branch got him between the eyes.

Blowing a bit of a gale with rain like stair rods so I and the rifle got a bit wet. Home now and about to weigh him after i dry the rifle and have a coffee. .22 Powapell 14.3 grains at 8 metres distance.

Weighed him 616 grams then small squirrl jumped down from hedge jumped up pole of my bird feeder and started tucking into suet block with added meal worms grabbed my drying rifle and rotated the front of the AO scope to maximum close

.Opened the patio doors to high wind and rain but bedraggled squirrel carried on eating.

Shot it from 6 metres in the head and it dropped like a stone.

Put waterproof on put shoes on went out and picked it up by wet tail and it squeaked. Flattened it's head as I always do to remove all chance of life.

Did it squeak because the air passed through it's voicebox like it does with magpies when you pick them up by the body or was it still alive?

Flattened it's head within 40 seconds of shooting it but will be using hollow points next to see how they do at energy transfer / penetration / killing.

It weighed 532 grams so interesting perception that 616 is big and 532 is small

I used to think that 820 was big and 675 was small. The attrition is working

At close range I really like bisley pest control, there quite heavy and you loose a bit of accuracy but sub 20mtrs wouldn't be a problem, plus they load well in the mag on my rapid, don't think you will have any squeaking after one of these hits home.

I had a rat in the squirrel trap this morning, compared with how the squirrels react in the trap it was unbelievable it was attacking the barrel, bisley pest control at point blank.