Gun Fitting Derbyshire

JD140

Hello,

I've just bought a a nice used gun and would like to get it professionally fitted, can anyone (preferably from experience) recommend a good fitter/stockist anywhere around my area? The gun has very nice wood so I obviously want a chap who knows his stuff!

Weismann work is very good but don't think he has a range to do gunfitting on. Tony White uses or used oak edge which he co located with.

have had shotguns fitted by John as they are gun makers john fitted me without even firing a shot took measurements mount gun etc bent stocks to suit so the gun would shoot where I was looking also fitted a friend for a crossover stock did not fire a shot , if an eye problem (central vision or other problem ) a try gun is available which can be shot on site as most pattern plates are shot at app 16 yards all round top old school gun makers

Edited by Saltings

have had shotguns fitted by John as they are gun makers john fitted me without even firing a shot took measurements mount gun etc bent stocks to suit so the gun would shoot where I was looking also fitted a friend for a crossover stock did not fire a shot , if an eye problem (central vision or other problem ) a try gun is available which can be shot on site as most pattern plates are shot at app 16 yards all round top old school gun makers

That's not a gunfitting but if you happy well done, a gun fitting takes into account the shooters style on a dynamic (moving target) at different angels. You can get reliatively static by eye but the real final detailed adjustments needs a moving target.

Lots of people are recommending gunsmith or stock makers I'd suggest if you want a gun fit go and see a gunfitter.

Disagree with that Gun fitting has been done this way for the last hundred years . John Wiseman has been in the trade since he was 15 if not before so has learned his trade properly , not on some weekend course run by the CPSA or BASC .Those that insist that you need a pattern plate or shooting range are entitled to their method but the likes of John are old school .

Teaching shooting is another matter and as said before you can not fit a gun to a man who cannot shoot or has had little or no experience in handling a gun

Too many people these days have forgotten or never learned this and get obsessed with multi chokes and adjustable stocks rather than actually learning to use the gun they have .

Disagree with that Gun fitting has been done this way for the last hundred years . John Wiseman has been in the trade since he was 15 if not before so has learned his trade properly , not on some weekend course run by the CPSA or BASC .Those that insist that you need a pattern plate or shooting range are entitled to their method but the likes of John are old school .

Teaching shooting is another matter and as said before you can not fit a gun to a man who cannot shoot or has had little or no experience in handling a gun

Too many people these days have forgotten or never learned this and get obsessed with multi chokes and adjustable stocks rather than actually learning to use the gun they have .

Sorry I but we will disagree on this. the company I do this for is similarly old school having started going this in 1901 for a similarly old school gun maker who has set the bar for best guns the world over!

The dimensions are provide by Gunfitters these are trained yes they also teach Shooting but are trained by the School no CPSA or BASC weekend courses. The guns are then bulit in London by some of the most respected gun makers in the world as well as provincial makers or international makers, or adjusted by London trained stockers.

That's not a gunfitting but if you happy well done, a gun fitting takes into account the shooters style on a dynamic (moving target) at different angels. You can get reliatively static by eye but the real final detailed adjustments needs a moving target.

Lots of people are recommending gunsmith or stock makers I'd suggest if you want a gun fit go and see a gunfitter.

thank you for setting me straight

thank you for setting me straight

Gun fit is one thing . The ability to use that gun is another .They are closely intertwined but even with a perfectly fitted gun does not mean you can actually hit what you want to . I have fitted hundreds of guns to people with out the use of a range .Each person is different ,each has their own problem , many of which is the basic fault in mount and stance .There are those people who can shoot well with just about any standard gun ,others who need a psychological crutch of being convinced that the gun is perfect for them .

In defense of my method I have always stated that if I was wrong in my assessment I would either put the gun back to its original form or carry out any additional work competently free of charge .Very few have come back .

Like all things we have different opinions and it is down to the individual to decide which way to go and whom they have confidence in .

I have to agree that Gunman and a few other replies are very good .It may be interesting to note that there is no definitive length of pull described in any literature , only the writers opinion .

If we cannot agree on what the LoP should be ideally , surely other measurements may go awry?

I know many people who actually own and shoot guns that are Cast totally incorrectly for their handidness , to short of stock , to long of stock but shoot brilliantly in spite of this.

Unfortunately I also know a few who have had expensive fitting sessions at famous grounds who have got it totally wrong.

John Wiseman is exceptionally good at his job, I know for a fact he recommends clients to test fire his fittings and if necessary come back with their observations for final adjustment.

Can you fit a gun without test firing ?

Of course you can if you have skill and experience , but it also requires the customer to be consistant in their gunmount and shooting ability.

Edited by Salopian