Loft conversion advice...

Munzy

Hi all, I posted this on a DIY / building forum and didn't get a response, maybe someone here can give their thoughts?

----

We have ruled out a full loft conversion because there is only 2.3m from the top of first floor ceiling joists to the bottom of the ridge and quite frankly we don't feel we would get our money back on a full loft conversion on this particular property. However, I did have an idea to convert part of the loft to create a mezzanine to the master bedroom onto which we could do a quirky en-suite.

So the way I thought it could work would be to remove the ceiling over the master bedroom to create a vaulted ceiling space up into the roof, insulating and boarding it out with some nice timber reveals. We could then carry out necessary strengthening work to the ceiling joists over the bedroom which adjoins the master in order to use that ceiling as a floor onto which we build an en-suite. There would be an end wall to this mezzanine at the far end only so it would in effect be a balcony overlooking the master bedroom. We could then run a staircase up to it within the master bedroom.

My question is, does this partial loft conversion work? Essentially if a loft floor sits over some of the ceiling joists of the first floor and runs the full width of the building from wall to wall but not the full length of the building as most loft conversions would (to maximise footprint) is this structurally possible? Does it need RSJs or steels at each end because it isn't running the full length of the building for instance?

Obviously I will work with an architect and structural engineer to confirm the details, I just want to know if there is anything obvious in this idea that would make it a non-starter.

---

Any input would be gratefully received!

Possibly a sticking point would be means of escape, depends how far you have to travel from the mezzanine to the stairwell. I can't remember the exact distance at the moment. I'd get an architect to come round. He will tell you if it's possible or not.

Not a lot of head height at 2.3 to start with, by the time 8x2 are installed above the ceiling and insulation etc on the rafters it would be rather tight.

When we do loft conversions we install 3 floor steels 2 either end and one in the middle to support stair case aswell as timber deflection over the span. So in your instance 2 would be required.

Remember that your roof slopes down, your maximum height at the minute is 2.3 to 0, without having a dormer roof coming off the existing roof you would have no way of installing a en suite.

To obtain a vaulted ceiling by removing rafter supports you will have to increase the size of your rafters.

Without seeing or knowing spanned measurements it's hard to give an accurate answer, but by the sound of it it's a no go, unless your local authority's are happy raising the ridge height of the building.

Hope this helps

Not a lot of head height at 2.3 to start with, by the time 8x2 are installed above the ceiling and insulation etc on the rafters it would be rather tight.

When we do loft conversions we install 3 floor steels 2 either end and one in the middle to support stair case aswell as timber deflection over the span. So in your instance 2 would be required.

Remember that your roof slopes down, your maximum height at the minute is 2.3 to 0, without having a dormer roof coming off the existing roof you would have no way of installing a en suite.

To obtain a vaulted ceiling by removing rafter supports you will have to increase the size of your rafters.

Without seeing or knowing spanned measurements it's hard to give an accurate answer, but by the sound of it it's a no go, unless your local authority's are happy raising the ridge height of the building.

Hope this helps

Brilliant advice, thanks!

I think you would get more money back with a full loft conversion than with the quirky en-suite proposed.

Don't think so in this case as already at 7 double bedrooms so the market for any more is tiny.

It depends entirely on where you are and what the value of your property is. Where I live at the moment in NW London a house is 10X the price it would be in South Wales. The cost of a loft conversion in both areas is broadly the same.

So in London it is a fantastic value for money way of increasing your living space, in Wales its not worth the effort. The cost is more than the value added.

We didn't extend a house we were at because we would never have got back what we spent, so just moved instead of improved.

I'm guessing a 7 bed is pretty big so your not looking to move as said above get an architect to give you an idea on price, how much are you willing to spend for a quiet bath is probably the main question