Competition at School. Good or Bad?

silver pigeon69

I agree with the general sentiment that competition is a 'good thing'. All of life is to some extent competitive. I am not myself highly competitive by nature, but do quietly like to at least 'do well' if not 'come first'.

However there is a concern. In a competitive environment, there will always be both winners and losers. This can lead, especially in team activities (which I also think are a good idea) - to a blame side ........ your performance brought the whole team down ...... and this can lead to a negative side. I am wholly opposed to a 'blame culture' in all aspects of life and believe that many things such as 'accidents' do not automatically have to have someone to blame - some are just accidents.

So, yes, competition is good, but a little care is needed to avoid the 'negative' sides

I didn't try sports I actively avoided it, I am not unintelligent.

How do you know how intelligent you are if you actively chose not to sit any exams?

Exams aren't the be all and end all but in this world we live in a good education definitely helps you along and opens many doors.

No offence but everyone I ever meet thinks they're super intelligent.

I never said I was super intelligent I merely stated that I wasn't unintelligent.

I agree exams for most people are important if they want to get a good career (in theory)I stated in first post that I did not advocate my route (or words to that effect) furthermore exam certificates are not in my opinion the only way to prove ones intelligence. Many many people have achieved in life with a poor education, if one is to class a poor education on exam passes, or rather lack of.

PS

With respect, in my experience your statement that a good education opens many doors is totally incorrect. Who you know and a proven track record opens doors. I know many many people including family members with all sorts of qualifications (on paper) and degrees etc but cannot get employment in there chosen career. Paper qualifications don't mean much in the real world without experience.

Edited by ips

I never said I was super intelligent I merely stated that I wasn't unintelligent.

I agree exams for most people are important if they want to get a good career. I stated in first post that I did not advocate my route (or words to that effect) furthermore ecam certificates are not in my opinion the only way to prove ones intelligence. Many many people have achieved in life with a poor education, if one is to class a poor education on exam passes.

PS

With respect, in my experience your statement that a good education opens many doors is totally incorrect. Who you know and a proven track record opens doors. I know many many people including family members with all sorts of qualifications (on paper) and degrees etc but it doesn't mean much in the real world.

From what you say everything has worked out well for you after rejecting formal education. I would agree that there are many forms of intelligence and that some people do very well in life without formal qualifications. If you have the aptitude and sttitude to succeed then the odds are stacked in your favour with or without formal qualifications. It has to be said however that a formal education does help you make your way in life. Our society is based on meritocriacy and employers, while understanding the importance of the affective domain, feel more comfortable with a CV full of exam passes. This is one of the reasons that we all know people who have been promoted to their level of incompetence based on their education alone. I have the greatest of respect for Open University graduates who have demonstrated that they have the intelligence and life skills/experience to cope with an academic course while getting on with life.

From what you say everything has worked out well for you after rejecting formal education. I would agree that there are many forms of intelligence and that some people do very well in life without formal qualifications. If you have the aptitude and sttitude to succeed then the odds are stacked in your favour with or without formal qualifications. It has to be said however that a formal education does help you make your way in life. Our society is based on meritocriacy and employers, while understanding the importance of the affective domain, feel more comfortable with a CV full of exam passes. This is one of the reasons that we all know people who have been promoted to their level of incompetence based on their education alone. I have the greatest of respect for Open University graduates who have demonstrated that they have the intelligence and life skills/experience to cope with an academic course while getting on with life.

A sensible post, I cannot argue with any of that. Once again I stress that I am not for one second advocating that everyone drops out of education with nothing in the way of exam certificates I am merely trying to point out that children are all different and for many a competitive based education either sport or academic does not suit them.

Of course its fare to say that I am an extreme example as I was and remain none conformist and am usually driven to take the road least travelled just to prove a point 😉