. 17 HMR RIcochets

Wasabi

Has anyone else had lots of ricochets with Hornady 17 grain red tips? Out of 30 yesterday I recon I got about 10 zinging off into the distance. When using the same number of Winchester supreme 17 grain I didn't get one. This was all on the same "range". There is about four miles of empty land all round so no worries but me got me thinking are Hornady bullets of a stronger construction?

All down to angle of shot, ground etc etc. Once that bullet leaves the end of the barrel it is it's own free agent. Yes, I have had occasional rico with a 17HMR and owned one since they first became available here. Also had a few with my 17 Remington as well.

Important therefore to always be aware of angle and what is behind. The plastic in the nose is the same just a different colouring additive. Only needs to clip a small 'ducky stone' or piece of flint.

Has anyone else had lots of ricochets with Hornady 17 grain red tips? Out of 30 yesterday I recon I got about 10 zinging off into the distance. When using the same number of Winchester supreme 17 grain I didn't get one. This was all on the same "range". There is about four miles of empty land all round so no worries but me got me thinking are Hornady bullets of a stronger construction?

Lots, as in lots, always have with any brand.

3 out of 10 at least scream off, hence why I don't use lr on my land, it was every single shot, it was a surprise when it didn't.

I don't worry too much about ricochet.