Poles / eastern europeans

digger

Plinker, you accuse me of a sweeping statement then type that ? You find me subbies who are prepared to work like them and I will give them work. The reality check is that people will pay for a good standard of work, end of.

I have no wish to turn this into a slagging session, just reporting on what I have experienced.

I agree to differ :huh:

Plinker, you accuse me of a sweeping statement then type that ? You find me subbies who are prepared to work like them and I will give them work. The reality check is that people will pay for a good standard of work, end of.

I have no wish to turn this into a slagging session, just reporting on what I have experienced.

I agree to diiffer :huh:

digger i agree to dffer also :lol: but plenty of us still grafting out there and plenty of 2nd rate tramps comming in from the balkans dragging the prices down we all know it.

good lads are not going to work for £50 a day.

digger i agree to dffer also :lol: but plenty of us still grafting out there and plenty of 2nd rate tramps comming in from the balkans dragging the prices down we all know it.

good lads are not going to work for ?50 a day.

They are being paid the same as us though in alot of cases, and are being employed in preference over uk workers are'nt they?

good lads are not going to work for ?50 a day.

They are being paid the same as us though in alot of cases, and are being employed in preference over uk workers are'nt they?

not round here there not. it is(round here) the shadey side of the trade that use them.

I heard a terrible tale from a client of mine a few months back.

After getting all the quotes in from me & his British builder, we've both worked for him & his family on several occassions. He decided to go with a Polish buider that came in with a considerably lower price, this guy had been reccomended by friends.

Towards the end of the job a couple of days after getting the majority of the final payment, his 50 something inch plasma tele along with a brand new Porsch Cayenne went walkies in the night, there was no sign of a forced entry ( the builder still had a set of keys) and surprise surprise the builder didn't show up the next day, his mobile was switched off & he was never seen again :huh:

According to my English builder mate the standard of work was shocking & he was being called in to finish the job & put right a lot of the shoddy work.

And to add insult to injury the last I heard his insurance company were'nt gonna pay out :lol:

Just a word of warning. Beware.

SS

SS

I heard a terrible tale from a client of mine a few months back.

After getting all the quotes in from me & his British builder, we've both worked for him & his family on several occassions. He decided to go with a Polish buider that came in with a considerably lower price, this guy had been reccomended by friends.

Towards the end of the job a couple of days after getting the majority of the final payment, his 50 something inch plasma tele along with a brand new Porsch Cayenne went walkies in the night, there was no sign of a forced entry ( the builder still had a set of keys) and surprise surprise the builder didn't show up the next day, his mobile was switched off & he was never seen again :lol:

According to my English builder mate the standard of work was shocking & he was being called in to finish the job & put right a lot of the shoddy work.

And to add insult to injury the last I heard his insurance company were'nt gonna pay out :lol:

Just a word of warning. Beware.

SS

SS

I also work in the building trade ( im a manager at a builders merchants) and we get a massive amount of poles/chekzs + other eastern europeans comming in for supplies, you would.nt belive the amount who CAN,T speak English or speak very broken English, they are always asking questions on how to do various jobs as they have been employed to do these jobs but don,t know how to do them !!one good horror story i was told was by a very good mate of mine was about a group of foreign workers who had been empleyed to do an attic conversion on a terraced house i Blackpool, the house holder had got various quotes all about £15/£16 grand but chose a polish/east european builder whoes quote was £7 grand in cash!! BUT he did such a shoddy job the roof collapsed on his AND his neighbours either side !!!! again beccause the householder could,nt show any bille/recipts etc the insurance would,nt pay out on the damage :huh:

It may be of interest that many companies that I work with actively go over to Poland and recruit workers or use agencies to recruit on their behalf. This is because they cannot employ local Brits as they will not work for the pay (£1 more than the minimum wage etc). This suggests that Pols/EEuropeans are actually being invited over here to keep our economy going as companies cannot recruit locally for low paid workers. It is an interesting debate because as mentioned there are a lot of nice honest people out there (I've met them) but the odd bad story or press only promotes the wrong uns....

Guest The Outlaw

I wouldnt employ them on principle of most of the ones that have approached my sites are casual labour looking for cash

work.

As soon as I mention sub-contract work only, they disappear.

I have worked with all UK and Irish lads and have had some bad ones.

I need to assure my clients that the work is at a standard I can promise will last longer than it takes for my van to go

round the corner.

The clients dont feel comfortable with the Eastern European lads.

This I can do with my regular lads hence I do not need to advertise.

We are a group of different British tradesmen that work together and communicate well.

So I have very happy clients because they are confident the job is done well.

Tony

What happens when the pols wants better jobs thou, there not gonna stay in the same job are they, what will happen is that they will go for the jobs that us brits want then the companies that need low paid workers will employ more polish workers. Whats gonna happen when the economy slows down I tell you what will happen the polish and others will go back to there country leaving us to rebuild the countryback up, then it will do another cycle.

sorry sidibear my qoute was not directed to you it was directed at all the greedy people who employ the eastern europeans for cheap labour if you pay them the going rate fair play to you if not take a long look at yourself as for the cscs load of b*****ks thats a sham in itself (and no im not having a go at you about that either) the cscs card is to prove your a competent person in your trade and knowledge of health and safety which is why its a sham if a 55-60 year old plumber/electrian/bricklayer/joiner hasnt got an nvq in his/her trade then they have to go back to college (onsight assesment) so where to all the poles get there nvq as for the health and safety how can someone who cant speak english properly relay information quickly in the case of an emergency (as i said health and safety b*****ks) as for there workmanship there is some good ones the majority are pretty poor (so are alot of ours though mainly agency if anybody has used them before you'll know what im taking about)as for working long hours if you pay the money most brits will work the hours im self empolyed have nvq's hold a cscs card (waste of time and money) and dont mind working the hours regulary do 10-12hr days all i ask for is the poles to be paid the same as the brits and then see if there still employed :rolleyes::lol::P