Any plumbers (or handy folks!) around?

Munzy

Got a weird one here.

We have a Greenstar Heatslave oil fired combi boiler here. It's running the central heating no trouble, lovely and toasty. BUT, yesterday for no apparent reason water stopped coming out of the hot taps all around the house!

It's not that water is coming out cold, there is no water coming out at all! Central heating still working fine.

I can't figure out what could possibly be wrong with the boiler. In my mind if the diverter is jammed or the pump not working I would either get cold water through the hot taps or the central heating wouldn't warm up (respectively).

Any ideas?

Sounds to me like there is no cold supply to the boiler. Has anyone refilled the system/ topped up the pressure recently and perhaps turned off the wrong valve?

Also is the boiler fed direct off the mains or from a header tank? Even though it is a combi, I have seen these oil comb's supplied with mains water like this before and the ball valve has stuck.

How has the hot water flow been previous to this problem?

Sounds to me like there is no cold supply to the boiler. Has anyone refilled the system/ topped up the pressure recently and perhaps turned off the wrong valve?

No valves have been touched; was working fine in the morning, came in from the garden three hours later with nobody else at home and no water.

Also is the boiler fed direct off the mains or from a header tank? Even though it is a combi, I have seen these oil comb's supplied with mains water like this before and the ball valve has stuck.

Fed directly from mains, no header tank.

How has the hot water flow been previous to this problem?

Very good pressure before, no issue at all.

Is there a non return valve in the supply pipework that could be stuck? It does seem like a very unusual fault, for something to be obstructing a mains pressure pipe completely. There hasn't been a blending valve fitted to the system has there? Unlikely but clutching at straws without seeing the installation.

Very odd. Assuming you mains cold is still running fine, then it has to be from where the cold supply to the boiler is Tee'd off the mains and the boiler hot out pipe. If you're good at things like this I'd probably try disconnecting the cold feed at the limescale filter and the boiler and checking that for blockages, then look at the flow restrictor in the hydraulic block. You're looking for sediment or something that could have blocked the pipe. Really unusual for it to completely block the supply in one hit without a gradual loss.

Well, do I feel stupid!

Worcester engineer came out this morning after I failed to trace the issue after checking various parts. He had it fixed within, I kid you not, 8 seconds!

There is a softener fitted in the cold feed to the boiler once it has teed off the main. This little ****** has a removable cover that slides off to allow inspection. Would you believe it, the cover had popped off slightly (although you couldn't tell from looking at it) and in doing so it automatically closes a valve for protection. The engineer pushed the cover, it clicked and the hot water started flowing.

I felt very stupid! He ended up staying and doing a full service on the thing so worth him coming!

Thank you all for your help!

Glad it was something simple. Usually is when something as odd as that happens. The amount of calls I get from people with Vaillant boilers who say the hot water isn't working. I ask if they've topped up the boiler recently, oh yes they say. Go and turn both the grey handles back to off please. Oh yes, it's working now! "That'll be fifty quid then ple....." by then they've hung up.

Sounds like a combimate you have fitted, have shut off valve as cover is removed. He will have seen this lots of times as kids are curious creatures and don't tell when they been touching things they shouldn't.

My wife once called water board as we had no cold water,I was miles away at work with no phone, wondered if they had turned it off due to ongoing works or burst main. They sent a fella out to check, she felt rather stupid when he found our three year old son had turned the stop tap off as it stuck out the boxing at skirting height.