Cleaning Rifle barrels or what am I doing wrong

Zetter

I dont know what I am doing wrong cleaning my .17 Hornet barrel but it must be something.

Basically after use I generally run some patches soaked with Patchout down the bore to get rid of carbon fouling and general ****. Then I leave it to soak for a bit with Patchout in the barrel, dry patch out until clean and if storing for a bit putting a patch soaked in napier gun oil down to prevent any corrosion.

If I have shot a fair few round I will do a couple of run throughs the bore with a bronze rush going one way to get any stubborn bits out and repeat as above.

However last night before going out I ran patch through the barrel to clear out any gun oil and got a black patch out and on previous occasion a couple of times I have got some rust coloured staining on the patch after it has been sitting for a while despite having a precautionary oil patch through before storage.

Am I not leaving the patch out in long enough as I generally cant soak the barrel overnight and is the barrel still partially fouled despite appearing otherwise on the intial clean? Is it worth getting some accelerator so I can speed the cleaning process?

The rust colour is a bit concerning as I thought an oil coat would have prevented this?

I have had the gun from new and want to keep it shooting well hence I clean the bore after every use when its fired. Its stored inside in a warm environment with the Mod off so I dont know what I am doing wrong.

I would have tought an oil coat would have stopped any rusting too but it won't remove any. Perhaps you need to run an oil soaked nylon brush through the bore a few times to loosen any residue first and then clean ?

The nylon won't score the bore at all so you can scrub away to your hearts content.

I found without the accelerator it needed to be left some time to work. I also had a bit of the rust staining you mention.

I use a nylon brush with the acc and patch out, run it through and it starts to get soapy. Leave it 20 mins or a cuppa then clean out.

Works a treat for me

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/milfoam-forrest-foam-rifle-barrel-cleaner&ved=0ahUKEwjP9aOIyrTWAhVMvRQKHbznAikQFggxMAA&usg=AFQjCNGVuYraRGg8qcn02mPgBZYhM1aZ2Q

This what I squirt down my barrels after I've been out for a day. Done before I start off towards home it gives it time to work on the stuff you want to remove. Depending on the level of fouling I will then use something like Sweets if any sign of copper remains. I patch through until patches come out clean then patch through with acetone then in the cabinet.

Always seem to shoot POA next time out, so I'm happy with my regime.

I made my own chamber cleaner using a piece of thin dowel and cotton.

Edited by Dougy

Cheers all for this I will have a look at some other stuff.

Mick its could be picking up cack out of the chamber but the other night I looked down the barrel with the bolt out and it looked like it was the rifling. The patch I put through at the end I normally put some napier gun cleaner spray onto a patch if I am leaving the barrel for a bit just to protect it.

Initially I just use patchout till clean and left it but I did have one patch some out brown after it had been sitting a couple of weeks so thought I would put a corrosion inhibitor coat down the barrel if it was sitting for a bit.

Be careful with oiling rifle barrels. My experience when I used to do this was frequently, even though I ran a dry patch down the barrel before use, the oil residue left in the chamber meant that rounds weren't obiturating properly, causing the cases to slam back into the bolt, showing pressure signs. A clean of the chamber with meths instantly rectified this problem. Since then, I've simply used Wipeout or M-Pro 7 to condition the barrel, and have never encountered any rust in them.

The problem I've found with Wipeout-Patchout is that despite the claims, it is not that effective at removing stubborn carbon deposits, and unless they are removed, any coppering underneath from previous firings remains there, so to effectively remove carbon, I've found that few products better a good soak with KG1, followed by a scrub using a boreguide, with a bronze brush. I push the brush out the end, unscrew it, and clean it and repeat for a few strokes, before short-stroking up the barrel (not poking the brush beyond the crown), followed by dry patches. I'm always amazed after just using patches, how much carbon can still be scrubbed out if a brush is used. It's as stubborn as hell to remove if left to build up to any extent.

Edited by Savhmr

Be careful with oiling rifle barrels. My experience when I used to do this was frequently, even though I ran a dry patch down the barrel before use, the oil residue left in the chamber meant that rounds weren't obiturating properly, causing the cases to slam back into the bolt, showing pressure signs. A clean of the chamber with meths instantly rectified this problem. Since then, I've simply used Wipeout or M-Pro 7 to condition the barrel, and have never encountered any rust in them.

The problem I've found with Wipeout-Patchout is that despite the claims, it is not that effective at removing stubborn carbon deposits, and unless they are removed, any coppering underneath from previous firings remains there, so to effectively remove carbon, I've found that few products better a good soak with KG1, followed by a scrub using a boreguide, with a bronze brush. I push the brush out the end, unscrew it, and clean it and repeat for a few strokes, before short-stroking up the barrel (not poking the brush beyond the crown), followed by dry patches. I'm always amazed after just using patches, how much carbon can still be scrubbed out if a brush is used. It's as stubborn as hell to remove if left to build up to any extent.

I am wondering if after running patchout through im thinking I am getting it clean but I am not and the deposits are losening a bit while its sitting in the cabinet and showing when I put a dry patch through before shooting again?

I am wondering if after running patchout through im thinking I am getting it clean but I am not and the deposits are losening a bit while its sitting in the cabinet and showing when I put a dry patch through before shooting again?

Could well be. That's exactly what I was getting. Bill Fisher ("of "Butches Boreshine" fame) wrote an excellent piece on barrel cleaning which has been republished for the Lyman reloading manual. In it, he suggests that patches and even nylon brushes are simply not effective in carbon removal, which forms very hard deposits. Whilst chemicals like KG1 help break it down, patching only ever seems to remove small layers at a time, whereas scrubbing with a good bronze brush really gets it out and contrary to internet myth, will not harm the much harder steel of barrels.

Could well be. That's exactly what I was getting. Bill Fisher ("of "Butches Boreshine" fame) wrote an excellent piece on barrel cleaning which has been republished for the Lyman reloading manual. In it, he suggests that patches and even nylon brushes are simply not effective in carbon removal, which forms very hard deposits. Whilst chemicals like KG1 help break it down, patching only ever seems to remove small layers at a time, whereas scrubbing with a good bronze brush really gets it out and contrary to internet myth, will not harm the much harder steel of barrels.

They have bullets wizzing down at ridiculous speeds, and bloody tight too. And some folk worry about using a bronze brush up and down the barrel at 1 mile a week speed.

They have bullets wizzing down at ridiculous speeds, and bloody tight too. And some folk worry about using a bronze brush up and down the barrel at 1 mile a week speed.

+1, that and red hot gasses and particles under pressure up to or over 60,000 pounds per square inch! It's really only ensuring that a bore guide is used and that care is taken not to damage the crown that you've got to watch, otherwise scrub away. One of my rifles used to be capable of .25 moa, something repeated many times at 100 yards. Accuracy started to drift and groups got more erratic, even though I was using Wipeout after every shooting session. I started using a bronze brush to clean it. Hey presto, accuracy returned.

Edited by Savhmr