Browning XBolt ?

Gerry78

IM sure this has been debated im in the market for a 223 for the odd fox was down at local gun shop and tried a X bolt stainless stalker  it felt nice NOW il be the first to say i like wooden stock rifles had CZ and tikka T3 Hunter in my hands both felt good theres a couple hundred pound difference between rifles and i dont want to come across as cheap but is it worth paying extra cash as i say it would be only for the odd couple of charlies in the summer  Does anyone on the forum use X Bolt that could give me any advice regards trigger/stock/ general shooting ??? in the field

I have one, an early duratouch stainless stalker with the barrel made by Miroku. Shot like a pig with factory ammo, had a crown that had been cut by an ape and a feather trigger that you had to hit with a hammer even after adjustment. 

Started reloading, got it recrowned correctly and the trigger sorted and it shoots like a dream, has even won me competitions when put against rifles three times the cost and custom jobs. 

From the feedback I have read though mine is the exception that proves the rule. Generally they're excellent out of the box. 

The only drawback over the tikka, so I believe, is that the barrels are a pig to change, but I'm many, many boxes of bullets away from having to ever worry about that. 

The stalkers are lovely and light, the duratouch stock has a nice feel, warmer and grippier than my tikka. The furniture around the trigger is metal not plastic as with the tikka, the rifle feeds well from the clever rotary magazine which sits flush to the stock. The tikka magazine feels cheap in comparison. 

You'll likely be able to get more aftermarket parts for the Tikka if you like fannyng around with your rifle, I have never felt inclined to do anything other than install a set of picatinny bases on the x bolt. 

Add a Barton Gunworks moderator, which are ridiculously light, and you have a capable package you can carry all day and light enough to shoot off hand comfortably. 

With 55gn Noslers in front of N140 mine shoots like a laser. 

Edited by mick miller