Ktm xcf 350 engine rebuild?

Albert 888

OK I have an 2011 xcf 350, don't know how many hours it's done, but Im guessing it's long overdue a major overall. It's sounding a bit rough. What kind of a price am I looking at for a rebuild, everything works as it should,loads of compression, goes in and out of gears well, it could just be the cam chain or something but  if anyone knows the ktm 4 stroke engine it's quite a task stripping it all down, sourcing the parts then running it in. I rebuilt the 250 version with a 280 kit and had a nightmare, so just weighing up my options. 

In my(for this engine)limited experience,piston is normally the first item to need replacing on this as well as many other competition based motors. Better advice may come from the KTM forum http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forum.php 

http://www.trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19145

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=105527

are maybe worth a read.

Personally I would start by using a mechanics stethoscope to check engine.

It's got a manual chain tensioner, my last had an auto one,do you mean the plastic skids the chain runs on. It's not a hard job doing it, the worst bit is running it in right,I did it wrong last time,on the 3Rd time I got it right,then it dropped a valve and goosed the head, so 4 times to get it right. 

30 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Is it knocking or rattling?

Will have another listen in the morning, I'm thinking if rattling cam chain, just looked my cam chain adjuster up on the Internet, apparently nip up with fingers then add 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn then tighten lock nut. I have had an engine sieze on me early this year and don't want another major rebuild.  New bike now so probably just being safe. 

In that case adjust the cam chain on the manual tensioner and see if that takes stops it. I can't see something else doing it. There usually pretty reliable the 350. Shouldn't take too much. Also, if you replace the piston it shouldn't need running in, nikasil plated bore so just get on and go. Unless they changed things on that one! Change the guides and you might aswell change the tensioner depending how much adjustment is left on it 

Edited by Hendrix's rifle

Well I nipped up the tensioner,slightly better, I then proceed carefully to undo it whilst running to create an issue, the family chain makes a light fast ticking noise when lose,so it's not the chain. 

Last new piston I did what I thought was best and did a break in procedure whith fully synthetic oil,that doesn't work with a 4t as the rings need to bed into the bore, oil was blowing out the breather and popped out engine seals the pressure was going past the rings. I know now. Will have a proper clean strip down and inspect when my car is sorted.

Don't think it's the clutch,big end little end noise. I will do it myself, atleast I can buy all the proper bits and fit rather than risk them fitting poor quality stuff. Love 4ts, only 2smoke I would entertain is an beta xtrainer. I have issues remembering to use the rear brake,Engine does it for me now. No doubt if I get better I may opt for a 2 smoke but I'm also getting older and a more sensible :-)

Edited by Albert 888