Boxing day and New Year's Pheasants

Big Al

Ted was the star once again... that is apart for your accurate shooting which we have become used to!Those birds going on the wind were like Exocets & you did well to bring them down at all.I had to watch this a couple of times to take in the detail of the retrieve, lough & to pick out some birds against the background. Entertainment on a lazy Sunday morning whilst eating my pancakes.Thanks.

58 minutes ago, pbutd said:

Ted was the star once again... that is apart for your accurate shooting which we have become used to!Those birds going on the wind were like Exocets & you did well to bring them down at all.I had to watch this a couple of times to take in the detail of the retrieve, lough & to pick out some birds against the background. Entertainment on a lazy Sunday morning whilst eating my pancakes.Thanks.

Kind words Sir. Many thanks for watching - enjoy your pancakes! 

45 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

Another good watch and some nice shooting, the Ted sequence was appreciated as always.

With the poor weather over the Christmas period the birds may have been a bit scattered and reluctant to fly , many of my friends UK shoots suffered similarly, with low numbers and poor birds showing.

Something is changing - even over the past 5 years the weather varies wildly and the birds behaviour has become increasingly erratic. 

Mind you, I'm still very glad to be able to be able to get into the countryside with a gun over my arm. And long may it continue. 

On 09/01/2018 at 07:08, Big Al said:

We release 800 every year - they come as 6 week old poults.

A lot of birds al. What sort of return are you getting on them?

We are thinking of increasing the birds we release to 200 next season which means another pen needs constructed aswell as the main one completely replaced.

On 11/01/2018 at 01:34, ollie said:

A lot of birds al. What sort of return are you getting on them?

We are thinking of increasing the birds we release to 200 next season which means another pen needs constructed aswell as the main one completely replaced.

Usually we get 40 - 50%.

Some years (especially mild ones) it can drop into the high 30s.