Pointless Madness

fatchap

1 hour ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Couldn't help notice that chisel has been left without a safety cap on! I'm going to have to shut you down fella!

Also that ladder looks unrestrained or your workshop is on a hell of a slope, that's strike 2!

Safety caps go straight in the bin :) 

we use the ladder as a slide as it’s quicker 

( note to HSE , I’m joking ) 

1 hour ago, haynes said:

And god help anyone climbing that ladder........

Lol it’s in our container now ;) 

I don't mind what they insist on, as long as it's applied fully. Prior to a job in Aberdeen just before Christmas we all resat our CIS requirements etc etc as the client and main contractor insisted on it. Not a problem, but the first day on site the site manager (whom had given us the site induction that very morning ) was seen helping a local with a stonesaw; no water, no face and eye or ear protection and clouds and clouds of silicate dust! 

The bloke I subcontract to and me had words when he discovered I wasn't wearing steelies in the unit one day. It wasn't a deliberate omission by me but my favourite steelies were wet, and I do have others, but had simply worn the first pair of boots I came across that morning. He made such an issue out of it that I eventually reared up and asked him why, given all the H&S requirements that we blatantly overlooked with his knowledge on a daily basis, he was having a pop at me about my boots. He replied that he was perfectly entitled to do so, which in my opinion wasn't much of an answer. We climb on unlevel loads on artic trailers at heights of up to 4.2 metres in all weathers, to ensure they are secure and it's not too long ago that we stopped tarping such loads; we use extended forks that our fork lift truck has never been cleared to use, and for years drove it without the relevant insurance. I am the only worker who wears a dust mask, ear and eye protection when required. It isn't uncommon for guards to be removed from saws to aid compound cuts. There are many more examples. 

Like I said, I don't mind H&S at all; it's the cherry picking of only applying it when it suits that narks me. 

It is the individual who is responsible for his/her own health and safety, for example, If PPE is issued, it's up to the individual to wear it, if you don't and you are hurt due to you not wearing it, it's down to you! If it's not issued and you are aware it's required for a given job, you should refuse to carry on without it! If you continue and you are hurt because you are not wearing it! Again, it's down to you!

If your not wearing PPE for a job requiring it, and an employer sees that your not and fails to demand you wear it, or if the employer fails to provide neccesary PPE, they are also responsible!

So if, as an employee, you don't comply with H&S requirements, it's your fault, and if your employer doesn't make sure you comply with H&S requirements its the fault of both of you!....that's why an employer/H&S officer is constantly trying to cover their backside, by shifting responsibility for your H&S off themselves and on to you, the employee!

6 hours ago, bluesj said:

An old boss of mine decided that the first letter of PPE was personal so it was up to us to buy it. but not on company time.

Current bosses attitude is nothing we do is worth breaking a sweat over let alone getting hurt for and if you need something to make the job safer/easier, grab some cash from the safe and go get it and a spare one well your at it. 

Sounds like your a lot better off with the new boss, yes a lot of health and safety is a pain but when there are bosses out there who couldn't give a fig what happens to you it comes in handy.