ATA Venza/Franchi Affinity Recoil

Dasher

I'm looking at either of the above guns but cannot find anybody that has shot both to give me an idea of recoil comparison (before anyone starts.....yes I've tried looking through previous posts). I know that the Venza is gas operated and the Affinity is some variant of Benelli  inertia operated, but am I correct in thinking that if using the same payload in each gun that the Venza will produce less recoil? I am also aware that the Venza is supposed to operate with loads down to 24g and the Affinity 28g. 

Many thanks 

Dasher

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

I don't have a Venza but I do have an Affinity and an Armsan 612, the 612 is a gas opp and it is noticeably softer to shoot than the Affinity. 

Thanks, that's the sort of information I was looking for. So out of interest which do you prefer and why?

19 minutes ago, Grange1905 said:

A review on the Venza. Read from the technicalities part of the article.
http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/ata-venza-semi-auto

I had read that but needed a direct comparison rather than just manufactures claims.

2 hours ago, Dasher said:

I'm looking at either of the above guns but cannot find anybody that has shot both to give me an idea of recoil comparison (before anyone starts.....yes I've tried looking through previous posts). I know that the Venza is gas operated and the Affinity is some variant of Benelli  inertia operated, but am I correct in thinking that if using the same payload in each gun that the Venza will produce less recoil? I am also aware that the Venza is supposed to operate with loads down to 24g and the Affinity 28g. 

Many thanks 

Dasher

I have a benelli and a armsan 612,the affinity will have more recoil without a doubt,i tend to use ether 21 gram or 24 gram to reduce the kick,but it has come to the point that i will be part ex the benelli for the new sx3 ultimate sporter,the benelli system is good but the down side for me is recoil.

25 minutes ago, gemini52 said:

I have a benelli and a armsan 612,the affinity will have more recoil without a doubt,i tend to use ether 21 gram or 24 gram to reduce the kick,but it has come to the point that i will be part ex the benelli for the new sx3 ultimate sporter,the benelli system is good but the down side for me is recoil.

That's great information thankyou. I've a few shoulder issues so hence the recoil questions.

1 hour ago, Dasher said:

Thanks, that's the sort of information I was looking for. So out of interest which do you prefer and why?

I prefer the Affinity because it shoots slightly higher and is really easy and I do mean easy to clean. The bores in the Affinity are so smooth nothing seems to stick to them so a quick brush and patch with GT85 is all it takes. The Affinity is a slghtly larger (bulkier) gun and about an inch longer in the receiver. The 612 being a gas opp needs the piston and mag tube cleaning which itself is not an issue but you do get loads of carbon which takes a good squirt of GT85 and a rag to remove along with the occasional scrub on the piston.

I have a Affinity and there is certainly more recoil than a gas operated auto. But it is still less than a o/u or sbs and I would recommend you try both if possible. The Franchi feels better made than most cheaper auto so that was my choice

10 hours ago, Dasher said:

Many thanks 

Dasher

A mate has an affinity,i tried 24 and 21 gram carts in it today it fed and ejected both no problem.And yes the franchie is by far the better gun in my opinion

Hi, I have the affinity one in walnut,very well built,and great looking

ive had many guns in my 40 yrs of shooting,traided my browning 525 in for the franchi,a great move,

softer shooting than the 525,am currently useing gamebore velocity 28gram in fibre getting good patterns!,

also so easy to clean,no gas involved!

Edited by Biggsy

Just a quick update for those that offered advice, I do now own an Affinity and am very pleased with it so far. I'm currently putting 30g Clear Pigeons through it as recommended by the gun shop before trying anything lighter. 

The first shot through it felt very odd having solely used an O/U for so many years, the recoil seamed to be a much longer spread out affair rather than the snappy recoil from an O/U.

Having now switched to 70mm cartridges I have some 65mm original Clear Pigeon left, I know that the Affinity is unlikely to feed these from the magazine but if I were to use these directly into the chamber am I likely to get any problems with ejection etc?