D and J Cartridges

Did they ever fix the issue of the cartridge base being stripped off in semi autos? I seem to remember a couple of people on here saying it had happened to them.

I avoid them for this very reason, the thought of anything being returned into the bore on top of a live shell is a bit scary.

Really? :blink: I actually only fire them through my semi auto due to the reduced perceived recoil.

I have never heard/read of any problems. I have actually decided to work my way

through my remaining batch and never use them again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year at a hay bale clay shoot we had one Beretta 300 pull the base off of a d&j leaving the plastic in the chamber,a Hatsan pump had one fired case jam in the chamber so hard it had to be knocked out with a brass rod to open the action , The gun must have liked it because it did the same thing about 10 shots later and my browning auto had one stick in the chamber with about 5 mm sticking out and the extractors would not grip it to pull it out , Out with the brass rod again.

Really? :oops: I actually only fire them through my semi auto due to the reduced perceived recoil.

I have never heard/read of any problems. I have actually decided to work my way

through my remaining batch and never use them again.

Yep, there have been a few on here with similar stories to Andy H's.

Where clays are concerned I'm normally a "whatever is cheapest in 7.5 or 8's" man, but given the number of people who have spoken about these things separating in the gun.... thanks, but no thanks :blink:

The case separating from the head occurred with other brands at the time, namely Eley First, Olympics and Saga range.

The D & J case and some Eley First cases now seem to have a Cheddite-type case with 'anchoring' tabs in the flash hole; these cases now accept CX2000 primers, whereas before, CX primers would fall out if fitted and the cases required the 'fatter' Fiocchi or Martignoni primers.

Edited by Floating Chamber

Do the anchoring tabs help to keep the head in place during extraction? If so, glad to hear that it has been sorted :blink:

Cast/head separation occured with some paper case .410 Eleys in the 1960s. Recently I have seen a good portion of the plastic case blown off in the 3" Magnum .410.

I reckon case separation is worse in the fibre wad shells. The friction between case wall and filler wad must be greater because of the 'total' surface area of contact, together with the swelling against the chamber wall. This resistance to move could easily have enough force to affect the integrity of a case. I have seen many a Saga, Hi-Flyer and Olympic case with a dislodged base wad, some, sometimes halfway up the case wall. Indeed, I have, in the past, posted photos of them on this site.

Do they still make D & J's?

I have not seen them around for ages, I thought they have been replaced by the "Cancelled US Order" of English Sporters.

Don't be silly! :blink:

Of course they're 'still around'. Anyway, any 'Cancelled U.S. Order' (and this is unknown to me) of ANY make of shells wouldn't be large enough to curtail the loading of a brand and would be 'exhausted' within a few days on the market.

Cast/head separation occured with some paper case .410 Eleys in the 1960s. Recently I have seen a good portion of the plastic case blown off in the 3" Magnum .410.

I reckon case separation is worse in the fibre wad shells. The friction between case wall and filler wad must be greater because of the 'total' surface area of contact, together with the swelling against the chamber wall. This resistance to move could easily have enough force to affect the integrity of a case. I have seen many a Saga, Hi-Flyer and Olympic case with a dislodged base wad, some, sometimes halfway up the case wall. Indeed, I have, in the past, posted photos of them on this site.

I thought that fibre wads had to have more powder because they sealed less well compared to plastic and pressure could escape up the sides to some extent :blink:

Don't be silly! :blink:

Of course they're 'still around'. Anyway, any 'Cancelled U.S. Order' (and this is unknown to me) of ANY make of shells wouldn't be large enough to curtail the loading of a brand and would be 'exhausted' within a few days on the market.

That was the tale that all the local gunshops were spinning when the English Sporter came on the market, They were all using the Cancelled US Order line. Then they stayed around for months and are still available.

I have just not seen D & J's anywhere for a long time. All the cheapskates around here use Kent velocities.

I thought that fibre wads had to have more powder because they sealed less well compared to plastic and pressure could escape up the sides to some extent :blink:

Andy, have you loaded fibre wads and noticed the greater force to insert them? When a plastic wad 'collapses' at the centre section during firing, there is still little contact. When a fibre is compressed it's a different story. Modern thicker 'cut' card wads with straight walls, as opposed to the old 'stamped' wads with rough edges, let little gas past them in the 'less than a blink of an eye' it takes to traverse the bore.

That was the tale that all the local gunshops were spinning when the English Sporter came on the market, They were all using the Cancelled US Order line. Then they stayed around for months and are still available.

I have just not seen D & J's anywhere for a long time. All the cheapskates around here use Kent velocities.

Crikey, how long ago was that? The 'Sporter has been on the market for years! There are 'tales' and 'Chinese Whispers', often spread by half-wits and panic buyers. The Moon used to be made from green cheese till the EEC and HSE banned its use in this manner.

Crikey, how long ago was that? The 'Sporter has been on the market for years! There are 'tales' and 'Chinese Whispers', often spread by half-wits and panic buyers. The Moon used to be made from green cheese till the EEC and HSE banned its use in this manner.

It could only have been in the last couple of years. About the same time Gamebore started pushing the kent velocities.