I got bored

strimmer_13

Well it's a nothing post really, just showing what anyone can do if they get bored with a old bit of stock. 

Recently I posted that I was going to a auction and i picked up 4 guns. 2 x 12bores and a bsa meteor mk4 and a bsa scorpion (it was in a James bond film but by God its ugly). Surprisingly all were in good working order. But staring at that meteor I thought that was a boring bit off wood. I started shooting with a smk b45-3 in .22 and a meteor mk4. Then a mk 3 and then a mk1 then supersport. 

Anyway I've been lucky enough to warrant blowing £40 in case I screwed this up as work is taking off as the light stays out longer. I thought I'd have a go at 'pimping' the stock. Excuse the expression. But I'd always wanted a go so I thought sod it and got the chisels out. 

First off I hated the shape of the cheek piece. Practical but bland. Unfortunately I took no photos of it before I started marking in out but Google images will show you what I mean. 

I didn't have any ideas of what to do and didn't do any research so free handed the lot. 

First up mark it out on top of the masking tape. Then got my dremel out and cut thin lines roughly where I wanted it. Absolutely bricking it at this point but I always was a bit rash. 

Then I got the chisels out and started to take sections off. At a later point I realised the butt pad comes off easier than I thought. 

20180407_183657-2241x3984.jpg

20180413_144818-2241x3984.jpg

20180413_161753-3984x2241.jpg

Edited by strimmer_13

skipped a fair bit of sanding there. Also at this stage I realised it was too fat below so had to mark out loads more to take off. Sanding, sanding, files, rasps and finally got to a point I liked. 

Took a chunk out the top too while I was there. Probably should of left it but to hell with it I done it anyway. 

20180414_125140-3984x2241.jpg

So by this point I was about 2 hours in, the glass was empty and pretty sure I had a unhealthly dose of nicotine in my system I decided I wanted strippling as I don't have the skill to checker. Then I thought I make signs for friends using a soldering iron and in my eye would leave the black finish I wanted without trying to dye it. 

So the job of marking it out 

20180414_121037-3984x2241.jpg

Then the front 

20180414_121040-3984x2241.jpg

Decided the back should have a leaf or some such but drew a club shape you often see on guns. 

As I said it's a have a go gun

20180417_202450-2241x3984.jpg

Edited by strimmer_13

So I burnt out the lines I was happy with and about 2 days later after 6 hours of poking red hot holes in a bit of beech I was done for a few days to let my hands recover. When I do signs into pine it's so much faster and I didn't take into account the beech would not take as well. Dam. 

20180415_212807-2241x3984.jpg

20180415_205146-3984x2241.jpg

Have patience I'm resizing photos :lol:

20180419_193858-2241x3984-1121x1992.jpg

20180419_193853-2241x3984-1121x1992.jpg

Not going to lie I nearly gave up. I was pretty bored of stabing wood at this point. The photos are being a sod so I finished grips and took the edges off the cheek piece to try and make it as smooth as I could. The holes I had burnt are a touch too deep by the end but I'm hoping the finish and wear will take the sharpness off them. I will say you wont drop this stock due to slippery hands 

Edited by strimmer_13

I'm going to gently oil it over the next 4 weeks and get a good build up. Also going to fashion up a cap of some sorts for the grip, was thinking red and black plastic discs or if I can get hold of it as I'm pretty low, a disc of bone or antler. I'l post up my final photos in a month or so when it's all done. 

Tips, advice and general **** taking gratefully received 

• 1 month later...

well fair play to you for having the guts to have a go.................that will be the most important gun you will ever do...............because on your next one ....you will change your mind about doing something in a different way....and all future work you will use this gun as a starting point,..............how it turns out dosnt matter...what matters is you have started to develope your experience..............

what you have done is not my cup of tea...but what has been done is to a functional standard and what you wanted in your minds eye....:good:

for future reference  there is a technique of scorching wood with a blow lamp prior to applying stain..:hmm:...in the USA they like to use mapel for some stocks and they bring out the grain using alchohol poured on an area and lighted...they watch it and wipe the flame off and continue...

Edited by ditchman

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

well fair play to you for having the guts to have a go.................that will be the most important gun you will ever do...............because on your next one ....you will change your mind about doing something in a different way....and all future work you will use this gun as a starting point,..............how it turns out dosnt matter...what matters is you have started to develope your experience..............

what you have done is not my cup of tea...but what has been done is to a functional standard and what you wanted in your minds eye....:good:

for future reference  there is a technique of scorching wood with a blow lamp prior to applying stain..:hmm:...in the USA they like to use mapel for some stocks and they bring out the grain using alchohol poured on an area and lighted...they watch it and wipe the flame off and continue...

I like new ideas. I'll see if I can find anything on YouTube tomorrow.

Was on another topic quite a while back and somebody mentioned about string covered in tar wrapped around the stock and set alight or some such for a tiger stripe effect. Might have a go as wasting the grog seems sacrilege to me ?