243 to 308..

PPP

Before I put in for variation just looking for pointers on FaO view on this (Essex)...

i have a slot for 243 and ground in cleared for 243, I’m thinking of putting in for 308 as that will mean I really only need one CF rifle and can be loaded to sub sonic for fox which would be handy as A couple of dens are close to horse paddocks.

Should I expect any FAO objections as they are both CF and equally dangerous if mis used?

Currently conditioned for AOLQ which I wish to keep

Thanks

You can expect objections because the Enquiry officer is guided by rules drawn up by some numpty in the Home Office who considers the 243 less dangerous than a 308 .... now tell me, is it?   personally I would put in for a 308Win anyway and get your ground uprated.  Put a moderator on either and neither should cause any problems with the horses. I have brood mares in the fields next to my wood and occasionally will fire one shot just to check before going on a trip out. rarely do they stop grazing.  22BR up to 7-30 waters amd on occasion my 257 Wildcat, even a 300H&H without moderator.

Personally I am not for down loading anything, if I need something to do that job I use another gun ...17HMR or 22RF.   Make his day and put in for one of those as well:good:you don't have to rush out and buy one.

Edited by Walker570

37 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

You can expect objections because the Enquiry officer is guided by rules drawn up by some numpty in the Home Office who considers the 243 less dangerous than a 308 .... now tell me, is it?   personally I would put in for a 308Win anyway and get your ground uprated.  Put a moderator on either and neither should cause any problems with the horses. I have brood mares in the fields next to my wood and occasionally will fire one shot just to check before going on a trip out. rarely do they stop grazing.  22BR up to 7-30 waters amd on occasion my 257 Wildcat, even a 300H&H without moderator.

Personally I am not for down loading anything, if I need something to do that job I use another gun ...17HMR or 22RF.   Make his day and put in for one of those as well:good:you don't have to rush out and buy one.

Thanks, already have 17 which can’t be sub sonic and a free slot for 22rf but that’s low priority at the mo..

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Sorted, excellent.

Flipping horses got the hump with moderated 17hmr tonight, unfortunately they tell the owners (don’t trust horses, they grass, the French have the right idea...) as exciting as angry jodhpur clad girls are, I need a quieter solution (2 foxes didn’t argue though) 

Blimey some rather ignorant folk on here with regards to the use of our countryside. 

Its not just for our use to go out shooting, do some of you folk moan about cattle or sheep in fields. Oh no of course not. If you were to get down range and actually hear a bullet whizzing past your ears you would understand WHY horses sometime spook. They 're a flight animal that's there inbuilt preservation system, so anything that spookes them and they will bolt  And with a vets bill that could end up at 5k to fix a horse with a leg injury, or worse still have the horse (someone's pet, just like your gun dogs) put to sleep some, may just understand why the owners are like they are. 

And for the horse owners that are rude and arrogant just think there are shooters out there that are just the same. 

And yes Walker570 I agree horses can be desensitized, but it must be controlled. 

Someone else mentioned it above, I'm not for stretching ammo to the extreme either.

I have a .223, .243, and a .308, that works for me.  My assortment of rimfires etc fill other gaps.

Everyone's shooting situations/requirements are different but I shoot in an awful lot of different environments with an awful lot of different quarry, I have never found the need/desire to download any of my centrefires to sub sonic.

If noise is really that serious an issue, bait or track the foxes and use a .22lr, foxes tend to be quite easy to train and I shoot loads with the .22lr.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

I know a couple of people who have loaded .308 to Sub Sonic, none have pursued that route as it was more a technical exercise and results were not encouraging.

To the best of my knowledge I don't actually know anyone who downloads any centrefire to sub sonic for regular use, probably because on the whole its not a great idea!