Series 2a

ShootingEgg

21 hours ago, figgy said:

Hope your enjoying the spanner work as green oval ownership makes it par for the course.

Land rovers have a few quirks and ways of working. 

The rocker gasket change is intriguing as the engines were used in old rover cars among other vehicles.  Wonder what the  normal and correct way is different?

Not touched it yet haha.. Been sorting the slightly less engine issues out.. But enjoy working on the old truck, takes my mind of the madness that is work haha 

Never get so excited when shiney bolts turn up.... 

IMG-20190327-WA0006.jpg

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Next installment this weekend. 

Timing played with and running better than it was, a hole found in the exhaust and the pipe looking like it wants to fall off so will be replacing the full length. Carb set after timing check but will have to be checked again once run again. I need to tighten the alternator belt but the alt bolts wont budge so may have to persuade them.. Also tracing myany oil leaks. 

Well tonight I took the front exhaust pipe out from under the truck, that was like some kind of crystal maze game. Then decided to take the manifold off as im sure I've seen fumes escaping, well there was no gasket so definitely been escaping, will get one ordered before it all goes back together. 

IMG-20190411-WA0005.jpg

Just now, ShootingEgg said:

Who or how would I do that? 

take the cylinder head off and buy a deglazer from machinmart at about £15 quid and put it in your drill and wizz the bores out....put a new set of piston rings on as well ....then good for another 100,000 miles

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

take the cylinder head off and buy a deglazer from machinmart at about £15 quid and put it in your drill and wizz the bores out....put a new set of piston rings on as well ....then good for another 100,000 miles

This exhaust swap sounds like its going to be an engine clean. Although taking cyl head off might be a bit scary to an IT guy.. Haha why cant i just plug it in and hit reset hahaha

2 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

This exhaust swap sounds like its going to be an engine clean. Although taking cyl head off might be a bit scary to an IT guy.. Haha why cant i just plug it in and hit reset hahaha

well at least use fuel improver...that might get rid of some of the carbon...

1 hour ago, la bala said:

Looking at that oil in the manifold a news set of valve stem seals maybe.

still got to take the head off as you know....best thing as he says he has a spare engine in a lock up....and parts are cheap enough....i pressed in new guides as well....

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

still got to take the head off as you know....best thing as he says he has a spare engine in a lock up....and parts are cheap enough....i pressed in new guides as well....

Its good to have a spare lump, the times i have thought about scrapping mine because its taking up space. I think to myself that will rebuild one day, and then i think will i be here long enough:lol:. Anyway it wont be next week, got a trailer to make.

3 hours ago, la bala said:

Its good to have a spare lump, the times i have thought about scrapping mine because its taking up space. I think to myself that will rebuild one day, and then i think will i be here long enough. Anyway it wont be next week, got a trailer to make.

Something tells me thst yourself and ditchy have more experience in this than myslelf.. I might have to get the haynes out snd hope for the best.. I will have to get learning ha

4 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Something tells me thst yourself and ditchy have more experience in this than myslelf.. I might have to get the haynes out snd hope for the best.. I will have to get learning ha

You will get there it's about having a go and you are making a start.

I took the head of my first engine (spitfire) following the Haynes no problem. Timing everything took a bit more thinking but not so hard. Much easier with a spare engine to work on and you have something to use. Mine were always a race against time, to try to complete before monday morning. 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

I took the head of my first engine (spitfire) following the Haynes no problem. Timing everything took a bit more thinking but not so hard. Much easier with a spare engine to work on and you have something to use. Mine were always a race against time, to try to complete before monday morning. 

excactly as oowee says...............there are several boys on here...that are only too happy to help you all the way....:good:

29 minutes ago, ditchman said:

excactly as oowee says...............there are several boys on here...that are only too happy to help you all the way....:good:

Cheers I am sure I will be calling on the experience of a few, already quizzed you a few times haha

33 minutes ago, oowee said:

Yeah im getting there. My mates is now just a chassis, he is doing the full strip down, i unfortunately dont have the space to do it, hoping when we've done his we will wheel mine in..