Flappers

Thank,s for the quick reply Johny R/E dimmer switches

Ihave not had one to bits yet but would expect that they will have some form of variable resistor in side to make the thing work they are designed to run on 240 volts so the resistor in place would take all the power they will need to be adapted to 12 volts to do any good

This is only a sugestion someone else must have tried it

Peter

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stoggieman,

if you go to an electronics/hobby shop you can buy variable resistors that are designed to run off 12v, you can also pick up all the other stuff needed (wire, connectors, switch box, etc)

if you're a bit unsure of what you are doing (like me) the staff can be quite knowledgeable too! ;)

the electrical parts for magnets flappers and peckers (pigeon type) that i have made over the years i find that Maplin electronics is one of the best one stop places for all the bits and bob's needed, can find their add on the web, mail order as well , brochure is very handy for figureing out stuff needed, timer panels , small plastic and ally box's and a host of switches . No i dont own the company but spend enough money to have shares in them ;).

Easy with one of their small plastic boxes about £1.25 and a switch about the same plus wire to arrange a foot switch for any eletricaly operated gizzmo, remember if you use too light a wire at any length voltage will be reduced , sometimes maybe nessesary if you wish to use light wire to the gizzmo to icorporate a small relay at the gizzmo end to maintain the voltage level, not as difficult as it sounds .

good luck with the fiddleing

most of todays light dimmers wont work due to the small cicuit panel designed for 240 volt , the variable resistor (the bit on the end of the **** you turn ) would if used on its own have a very limited opperation in theory , less anyone knows differently . one form of cheap reduceing and varied power is to take the resistor unit out from the heater blower of an old ford , its in a metal cage under the bonnet by the blower about 2.5 inches long, can arrange 3 different speeds with a little fiddleing with wireing .