Written Permission

Browning

Can anyone help with advice on the wording for written shooting permission ?

I'm just applying for my Section 1 firearms cert. and wondered if the

firearms departments like to see any permission written in a certain way ?

All advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Browning

Browning

When I got my named piece of land a simple letter was sufficient.

I have however since devised a standard form for my own use. I had the form checked by the firearms department at BASC, who were impressed. If you can PM me with your email address I will send it to you tomorrow. The document is in word format.

webber

To all those awaiting emailed form.

Im sorry but Ive been too poorly to go to work today. I wont be able to send tomorrow as I am away on business and so wont be into the office. I will however send as early as possible on Friday morning.

I am sure that you will find that its worth waiting for.

webber :D

Browning, I don't know what it is like where you are but Hampshire police send out a form for the land owner to complete to confirm your permission. Things vary a lot between forces, so if you are at all unsure as to what is required give your FLO a ring, it's what he's there for.

Webber, what about posting your permission form here for everyone to see? If it's as good as it sounds it could be useful for a lot of people.

Q :D

Is this still the case if the land you put down has already been approved for the caliber ??

In my case, I belong to a syndicate for my rabbit shooting. The members have permission to shoot the farms with whatever they choose (air rifle, shotgun or rifle) some members have rifles and shoot the 'approved' farms.

Now I am hoping to apply for MY FAC and I've not meet any of the farmers, (we phone one of the members who sorts out the dates)

How do I fill in the form ?? :D:D:D:D:D

Land is not decided upon by Calibre, this is an excuse by the Police to try and limit or place unecessary retrictions on you. If they say it is restricted to a certain calibre request they write to you detailing the reasons why they have refused you and get the deciding officer to sign the letter to you.

Then contact BASC firearms dept who will help. Note all conversations, date time etc who and what was said.

So even if the ground I put down has already been approved for the caliber I intend to use, do I still have to go through the whole process of having the land 'revisited' ?

And.....Who would fill out the althority form...the land owner, or the Secretery of the syndicate ??

Gosh all a bit tricky this... :D

DeD

If the land has already been inspected by the police it will not require a revisit as they hold the information on file, or at least should.

You do not need necissarily have to provide written authority to the police, it is their responsibility to confirm you have authority if they suspect that you are not telling the truth. All is required is that you provide the details of the person whom has the shooting rights or the landowner if he has the shooting rights.

Not tricky DeD, you just need to talk to someone who knows there way round the system. In this case me. :D

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Col Pol

d-e-d, If there are already people shooting over the ground with your chosen caliber, or a similar one, it is very unlikely that the ground will need to be inspected.

I would assume that whoever actually holds the shooting rights would need to give permission.

If you are at all unsure about filling in your form get in touch with your FLO and make him earn his money. In my experience they are very helpful.

Q :D

Re: Rabbits and getting the term "authorised" inserted in your letter.

This is a throwback to the Ground Game Act 1880 which gives the occupier the right to shoot rabbits during the day and to authorise in writing one other person to do so. The person must be a member of the occupier's household, staff or employed for reward [keeping the carcasses classes as reward]

Under the act, the following are allowed to shoot rabbits at night:

An owner-occupier with shooting rights

A landlord who has reserved his shooting rights

A shooting tenant not in occupation who has derived his shooting rights from the owner

An occupier or one other person authorised by him provided he has written authority from another person with shooting rights.

So, deadeye - a rabbit shooting syndicate would be technically illegal.

It must be borne in mind that these archaic laws date back to a time when rabbits were valuable and not considered to be as serious an agricultural pest as they are today. In reality, landowners will permit more than one person to shoot them, and I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble for it in recent history.

(The above applies only to shooting and not to other methods of control.)

Webber - Where's my copy of the letter bud ?????

HG

If someone has derived the shooting rights then it is not technically illegal to have more than one person shooting the rabbits, as the Act reads, the number of people is in specific relationship to the occupier of the land that does not necissarily have any of the rights mentioned in your list but has the right to control the rabbits to protect his crops.

This came about, if for example, the person with the shooting rights did not take his obligations seriously and support the occupier by controling the pests on the land he owns. But was limited so as not to derive an income from the rabbits that technically are owned by another.

Isn't the law a wonderful thing ;)