Le Tour

Penelope

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Exactly. Here's the gist of it:

1. Luke Rowe's on the right hand side of the road in a peloton that's going nowhere fast. He's trying to get back to Thomas, who's a little surrounded by Jumbo riders.  By this stage it's clear that there's not going to be anything exciting happening in the GC.
  2. Tony Martin angles across Luke Rowe, basically cutting him up, he has to swerve a touch and brake. but that's all. He doesn't even leave the road and the supporter's next to him barely flinch.
  3. Luke Rowe, somewhat miffed by such skulduggery, gets a light hold of Tony Martin's shoulder, to mildly remonstrate. 
  4. No one cared.

The end. 

They were both just trying to get their team leader in as safe a position as possible. It was nothing particularly unusual, as shalfordninja33 said. Suddenly the commissaires kick up a stink and boot them both out. Both men were riding in support of team leaders who could very well overtake Alaphilippe

So, the French being French then, as I thought.👎

30 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Having slept on it, I believe it stinks.

Yep, like the stinkiest of stinkiest French cheese.

30 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Yep, like the stinkiest of stinkiest French cheese.

My thoughts exactly, I was thinking of one of those stinky Camembert boxes where you can't get rid of the stench or maybe worse than that even, I have some n-butyric acid in the garage which is in three sealed boxes which I never open indoors - a carp fishing additive :sick:

9 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

My thoughts exactly, I was thinking of one of those stinky Camembert boxes where you can't get rid of the stench or maybe worse than that even, I have some n-butyric acid in the garage which is in three sealed boxes which I never open indoors - a carp fishing additive :sick:

Ah, the good old n-butyric, know it well. Describes the farce well.

I formulated a HNV milk based bait for barbel fishing that had blue cheese powder and n-butyric as the attractor package. Good stuff.

Just now, Penelope said:

Ah, the good old n-butyric, know it well. Describes the farce well.

I formulated a HNV milk based bait for barbel fishing that had blue cheese powder and n-butyric as the attractor package. Good stuff.

Aha! I never used HNVs for barbel. BTW in a previous life I was a moderator on BFW, went through a phase of being totally obsessed with barbel fishing - mainly the Severn & Teme 🙂

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I take it there was no appeal then? Bit of a nudge and two guys get kicked out, it was hardly a Renshaw head butt (hope i got the right person)

You did. Or Sagan causing Cav's crash in 2017, for which he was eventually exonerated (months later!), Or Moscon punching someone in the head last year! There is no middle ground, it seems. Either it's just part of racing and nothing's done, or you're booted out.

They did appeal, but as Luke Rowe said, they were 99.9% sure it'd fail. It is pretty daft, totally arbitrary and at the mercy of what happens to be picked up when on the TV cameras. This goes on all the time and a lot of it buried in the Peloton where no one can see. These two just got sucker punched because it happened on the outside of the peloton, so was really obvious.

watching the highlights it looks like the problem was the afters they were giving each other.

Good stage today and like i thought very scary on the finish, NQ certainly had a good day and stage win, I always think the fans are crazy on the climbs but the Columbians went loopy.

Did you see JA get the water thrown in his face? 21.8 km to go? I ran it back and it looked like a water bottle?

So two more mountain finishes will settle it, all up hill, the decent saved JA today I thought, can't wait 😁 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

watching the highlights it looks like the problem was the afters they were giving each other.

Good stage today and like i thought very scary on the finish, NQ certainly had a good day and stage win, I always think the fans are crazy on the climbs but the Columbians went loopy.

Did you see JA get the water thrown in his face? 21.8 km to go? I ran it back and it looked like a water bottle?

So two more mountain finishes will settle it, all up hill, the decent saved JA today I thought, can't wait 😁 

I think what saved Alaphilippe was the descent. He had just started to crack on the final climb, but he descends so well that he could rein in Thomas and limit his loss to Bernal. No such joys for the next two! this could be brutal

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

I think what saved Alaphilippe was the descent. He had just started to crack on the final climb, but he descends so well that he could rein in Thomas and limit his loss to Bernal. No such joys for the next two! this could be brutal

Real contrast in technology today. Inneos lightweight climbing wheels that may be so stiff it makes handling nervous on the decent verses JA using disk brakes and the skill to exploit them. I bet my house inneos will be all disk by next season.  

The best tour for years 😁

Edited by shalfordninja33

7 hours ago, shalfordninja33 said:

Real contrast in technology today. Inneos lightweight climbing wheels that may be so stiff it makes handling nervous on the decent verses JA using disk brakes and the skill to exploit them. I bet my house inneos will be all disk by next season.  

The best tour for years 😁

ah interesting. where do you stand on discs? some of the safety concerns seem pretty legitimate; they can cause pretty nasty injuries!

20 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

ah interesting. where do you stand on discs? some of the safety concerns seem pretty legitimate; they can cause pretty nasty injuries!

I’m open minded on disks, The manufacturers will gradually phase callipers out, I would think it must be pretty straightforward to build a shroud over the disk to help prevent any injuries. Many of the bikes in the pro peloton have weight added to achieve the 6.8kg limit. More and more bikes are through axle now and Riders very often just change bikes rather than a wheel if there’s an issue. 

2 more days, come on JA! 😁

3 hours ago, shalfordninja33 said:

I’m open minded on disks, The manufacturers will gradually phase callipers out, I would think it must be pretty straightforward to build a shroud over the disk to help prevent any injuries. Many of the bikes in the pro peloton have weight added to achieve the 6.8kg limit. More and more bikes are through axle now and Riders very often just change bikes rather than a wheel if there’s an issue. 

2 more days, come on JA! 😁

Why do you say disks will cause injuries? I've got an older bike so it has calipers, but wouldn't have thought that disks would cause problems?

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Why do you say disks will cause injuries? I've got an older bike so it has calipers, but wouldn't have thought that disks would cause problems?

There have been a few incidents in the last few years of some really nasty injuries, that the rider themselves have said were from other riders' brake discs slicing into them. If anyone's squeamish, look away now...

Owain doull

Doul.JPG.5193a237157749f616167c3243f138cb.JPG

Ventuso

Ventuso.JPG.979dde045c0e04e2c55f178ce369196a.JPG

Jorgenson

Jorgenson.JPG.beed7ad9aeab09d08cc5cc3a1efe07da.JPG

That last one is particularly interesting, because it happened as the rider fell into Jorgenson's right leg, so the left hand side of the other rider's bike. There's nothing there that could do that level of damage - except the disc brake

Edited by chrisjpainter

7 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

The fear is around the metal rotors coming into contact with flesh during accidents in group riding / racing. There were lots of similar concerns expressed at all levels of cycling but disc bikes are taking over slowly, even at club level.

6 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

There have been a few incidents in the last few years of some really nasty injuries, that the rider themselves have said were from other riders' brake discs slicing into them. If anyone's squeamish, look away now...

Owain doull

Doul.JPG.5193a237157749f616167c3243f138cb.JPG

Ventuso

Ventuso.JPG.979dde045c0e04e2c55f178ce369196a.JPG

Jorgenson

Jorgenson.JPG.beed7ad9aeab09d08cc5cc3a1efe07da.JPG

That last one is particularly interesting, because it happened as the rider fell into Jorgenson's right leg, so the left hand side of the other rider's bike. There's nothing there that could do that level of damage - except the disc brake

I see what you mean now, i was thinking the speeds their going they will get hurt regardless, but some of those pics look really bad.

6 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Early drama today, I won't spoil it for others. Very fortunate to have it on in the background whilst working...

I'm not sure what the early drama was? Was it a rider dropping out?

Just watched the highlights, and was starting to think wow it's on big time and boom!

I'll say no more till later 😯