Game for a wedding

Wookie

I'm going to be getting married (again) in April next year and the fiancee and I have decided that we want to have as much wild, natural food on the menu as possible, preferably shot by me.

Now, I can/should be able to get hold of pigeons by then for the starter, but the main (venison) is going to cause a few problems. What I'd really like is for some kind soul on here to please take me out one day, season permitting, and have at shooting my own main course of a size big enough for 30 adults and a handful of children.

I know it's a tall order and I know that I should really get off my **** and get some land with muntjac on, but I am being realistic and I do no think that I am going to be able to sort out permission and get the FAC _and_ get a rifle by then, especially since I have to think about moving in the next few months.

I'd also like a bit of help sorting out a kids menu for those that don't like the idea of eating Bambi. I was thinking coriander bunny burgers, but any other ideas are welcome. I could possibly sneak some duck in there too if I can persuade the Alde & Ore guys to show me the ropes whilst on a day ticket.

So, menu ideas please and if anyone can help out with the deer, please get back to me!

Thanks,

Wookie

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to be getting married (again) in April next year and the fiancee and I have decided that we want to have as much wild, natural food on the menu as possible, preferably shot by me.

Now, I can/should be able to get hold of pigeons by then for the starter, but the main (venison) is going to cause a few problems. What I'd really like is for some kind soul on here to please take me out one day, season permitting, and have at shooting my own main course of a size big enough for 30 adults and a handful of children.

I know it's a tall order and I know that I should really get off my **** and get some land with muntjac on, but I am being realistic and I do no think that I am going to be able to sort out permission and get the FAC _and_ get a rifle by then, especially since I have to think about moving in the next few months.

I'd also like a bit of help sorting out a kids menu for those that don't like the idea of eating Bambi. I was thinking coriander bunny burgers, but any other ideas are welcome. I could possibly sneak some duck in there too if I can persuade the Alde & Ore guys to show me the ropes whilst on a day ticket.

So, menu ideas please and if anyone can help out with the deer, please get back to me!

Thanks,

Wookie

Best thing for the kids mate it not to let them know what they are eating..................How about bunny nuggets........

Cant help with the deer shooting though..

I mentioned this before, but we got invited to a very posh wedding at the Savoy last year, and they had venison as the only meat option.

Very brave I thought, but it worked, it was as you would expect, spectacular.

You would be well advised to offer the kids another option, some will go for and some won't.

Living where you do, you should be able to get out on some Munjac stalking I would have thought?

It's just a case of trying to find people that have permission to shoot muntjac and are willing to let me tag along. I don't really know that many shooters in the area round here; I'm still relatively new to the area and new to shooting here.

Bunny nuggets are a cracking idea and one that my fiancee's very picky nephew should enjoy. Not that I will ever tell him what they are. I might have to make the tomoato sauce myself though... Not keen on giving him manufactured rubbish if he's got healthy food to go with.

I hear what people are saying about venison though. I know my side of the family will have zero problems with it. I can't think of a single person that doesn't love game and recognise where it comes from (and appreciate it). I'm slightly worried about my fiancee's side of the family, but I think they should be ok with it. If worst comes to worst, I might have a few steaks set aside for the ones that go green when they find out it's Bambi.

Seriously though, how much (weight) venison do you think I will need for 30-odd people? What will that equate to in size of deer?

Hello im in scotland so cant help at all but what part of the deer do you want & what did you have in mind.As you will need a few deer if muntie's but there is load's where they have them & i beleave they are tasty.I suppose you could offer haunch steak's or the main & best bit the saddle but if saddle only you will need a few so i would sugest the saddle as you require/haunch the same & maybe a pie to use the rest up thus get more out of each beast.You could try the stalking site's for some in your area or near to help or a local estate.

There are lots of places you can go and shoot Deer but, the catch is you have to pay to do so.

If like me you don't know many people near you who shoot Deer, I would say you may find it quite difficult to get someone to take you out stalking without some sort of cost being invloved.

Do you want to shoot the Deer yourself?

If so there are many places that offer an estate rifle to someone without expierence. You need to shop around for somewhere that will not charge you trophy fees as you will only want to shoot cull beasts.

I have booked a days shooting in Hereford on 29/09, 4 hours am and 4 hours pm for £130.00, this is for Fallow and Muntjac, the there are no trophy fees even for a large buck. You can take the meat home for around 60-75pence per lb.

I'd say you need 4 or 5 good size Muntjac for your wedding feast , depending which bit you want to serve.

Moses

Cheers Moses. I was ideally looking to shoot all the meat myself as I wanted to do as much as possible for the wedding, but was secretly hoping that I'd be able to avoid paying much more than ammunition and beer costs to do so. I should be able to get rabbit and pigeons myself, but venison was always going to be the problem.

Maybe I should fit some serious bull bars and start cruising Thetford forest looking for trouble...

• 1 year later...

You might struggle to put duck on the plates in April, if it's to be shot by you... That is unless you shoot a load and freeze them before the season closes.

As for the kids. I saw Jamie Oliver doing a deep fried rabbit and they just looked like pork balls. They wouldn't know what the meat is and it's not exactly as gamey as pigeon. You could manage to pass it off as chicken!