Gesture from the Goverment.

das

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

you rent a house, is the bond not returnable?

Nothing to do with accommodation. Without two years UK tax returns showing an income of 20,000+ per annum, to get a residence visa for Mrs R  I need to be holding 60,000 quid in cash that can be accessed at any time. So for all practical purposes it's a bond.

1 hour ago, toontastic said:

So where do you stand on furloughed wages, I take it you object to that as well.

Object? I just pointed out there will likely be different obligations for privately paid Vs publicly paid employees when it gets to legal affairs - which it almost certainly will.

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hat sounds a shame you find this system difficult now as i know from my very past life it was very different then, 

I've kind of let it go now, but for a while I was very bitter. The hard thing was that they just moved the goalposts overnight. One of my ex-colleagues who owned his own house outright in Scotland and who had been planning to retire there, in the end finished up going to see out his days in Malawi because he couldn't find the extra 60,000 to get his wife of 30 years into his own country. And to rub salt into the wound, he'd spent most of his working life working for the British Council - flying the flag so to speak in half the countries in Africa. What was perhaps the saddest thing was that their teenage son, who'd been going to the British school here and was a year away from doing his O levels, had to go with them. 

Yes, it's a bit of a cruel law and for me anyway, I still think it's especially unfair on some of us who were married and had children before it was introduced. If you'd said to me beforehand that were I to get married and have a family I wouldn't be able to bring them back to my own country, I'd have seriously thought twice about bringing children into the world without a place that we could all share a right of residence. But then May when she was Home Secretary sprung this thing out of a blue sky overnight and people who'd been married for years have  been trapped in limbo since. It's a an issue for a number of guys in my department because marrying foreigners is a sort of natural result of the language teaching job. The director mentioned to me the other day that out of all our married teachers (about 40 guys) more than three quarters of us are married to foreigners. Of course the Canadians, Americans, Australians, Irish, New Zealanders and South Africans among us have no problem taking their families home. It's only the Brits (not married to EU citizens) who are marooned abroad.

On 27/04/2020 at 19:04, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I saw this, I thought very good.

I did want to check though ... is this AS WELL AS the normal NHS Death if service payment? As in the council we alreeady have a death in service grant / payment and I imagined the NHS would of had similar  ... Skeptical old me was hoping it's not the usual payment that they would have got anyway  

My understanding is that it is only for those not entitled to death in service benefit, ie those who have retired and returned so no longer able to contribute to the pension scheme, or those who are not members either for cash flow or taxation reasons. 

The sum is very low all things considered for a death in service payout, let alone one limited to one cause of death.