Gesture from the Goverment.

das

Announced today that the Goverment is funding a £60,000 payment to the families of the NHS staff who died on the front line.
It won't bring the heroes back or ease the pain and loss but it will be an amount that will ease the hardship somewhat.

A very nice gesture.

Edited by das

Yes I saw this, I thought very good.

I did want to check though ... is this AS WELL AS the normal NHS Death if service payment? As in the council we alreeady have a death in service grant / payment and I imagined the NHS would of had similar :hmm: ... Skeptical old me was hoping it's not the usual payment that they would have got anyway :whistling: 

5 minutes ago, das said:

Announced today that the Goverment is funding a £60,000 payment to the families of the NHS staff who died on the front line.
It won't bring the heroes back or ease the pain and loss but it will be an amount that will ease the hardship somewhat.

A very nice gesture.

What does "dies on the front line' mean? Does it mean that you had to be working with Covid-19 patients or only that you work for the NHS? I know a few NHS people who don't go anywhere near patients. 

I understand that this is the same situation for soldiers. How does that work? Do they have to be on active service or get a payment even if they die at home?

Edited by AVB

1 hour ago, AVB said:

What does "dies on the front line' mean? Does it mean that you had to be working with Covid-19 patients or only that you work for the NHS? I know a few NHS people who don't go anywhere near patients. 

Watching the briefing it was if they died from covid 19, so caught it doing their job, 88 so far I think they said.

Its obviously something that wasn't there before and has to help give some piece of mind.

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I saw this, I thought very good.

I did want to check though ... is this AS WELL AS the normal NHS Death if service payment? As in the council we alreeady have a death in service grant / payment and I imagined the NHS would of had similar :hmm: ... Skeptical old me was hoping it's not the usual payment that they would have got anyway :whistling: 

Hi Lloyd

Yes the NHS pension scheme gives a eligible death in service payment, should I have a untimely meeting with the undertaker my payment would not be anywhere near £60.000 for the usual death in service payment. I have just taken a look at the nhs pension death in service and no amendment addition seen for death in service attributed to Covid 19. Early in the day yet and I assume they are drawing up the eligibility arising from this unfortunate situation.

As AVB says I do wonder how they will apply this to each poor individual, front line face 2 face, non face to face no patient contact, did they die from another primary cause but showed COV 19 antibody on post mortem.  Did they need to have shown positive swab, did they self isolate as per guidance, were they self isolating if in at risk group or shielding?  I can foresee some unfortunate family members being left asking questions. Not wishing to poor cold water but it will be interesting to see the outcome of this.

55 minutes ago, The Heron said:

A very nice gesture but should be extended to the families of the care home workers and the likes of the London bus drivers etc  they to were supporting families. 

NHS is funded by the government but those you refer to work for private employers.

4 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

And in pops doom and gloom 😀

I'm not gloomy at all. My portfolio has gone up 40% in the last 5 weeks! 

But I'll guarantee that if it had been a Labour government giving money away to my colleagues (see my other post) there'd be a terrible wailing and gnashing of teeth on these boards. :)

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

But I'll guarantee that if it had been a Labour government giving money away to my colleagues (see my other post) there'd be a terrible wailing and gnashing of teeth on these boards. :)

What during a pandemic and on the brink of a Global Recession the severity of which has never been seen before? 

Nothing in Politics has changed.

Corbyns buddies are saying how terrible the Government are handling everything (been saying that for years 👀 ) ... even if the Government invented a cure and it turned out Boris had used himself as the test subject he would be criticised and they'd say he used his privilege to get the cure first 😂🤣

Bloody Complainers! 

17 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I wondered about that. An attempt to head off a class lawsuit for damages caused by negligence, or failure in a duty of care?

i could well see someone trying to take action against the government for lack of ppe not that you can blame them they shouldn’t have been put in that position 

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

I think the financial support the government are providing across the board is truly phenomenal.

Have to agree, although I'm sure it will take years to pay back.

But the funny thing is, as I was reading your reply I thought Mr doom and gloom won't agree, and in the following post 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Amazing really. A whole forest of magic money trees suddenly sprouting from nowhere.

So what would suggest the government do?

40% is great, so you could sell up and move back, but I doubt you will.

And how do you think Labour would have managed the current situation better?

9 minutes ago, Mice! said:

so you could sell up and move back, but I doubt you will.

We'll see. I have one more year on my contract but then I'm finished here. I'm tired of living apart from my family and it's not good for the kids either. If we have enough money we'll move  to the UK so the kids can go into a school system that's not  a farce. But right now, still can't afford it. 60,000 cash on deposit for a bond to bring the wife, the cash purchase price of a house, the cost of moving, etc.etc. A long way to yet....

20 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

We'll see. I have one more year on my contract but then I'm finished here. I'm tired of living apart from my family and it's not good for the kids either. If we have enough money we'll move  to the UK so the kids can go into a school system that's not  a farce. But right now, still can't afford it. 60,000 cash on deposit for a bond to bring the wife, the cash purchase price of a house, the cost of moving, etc.etc. A long way to yet....

hello, is that what the cost is now with Thailand residents ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

54 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, is that what the cost is now with Thailand residents ?

You need proven two years income of 20,000 quid or above earned in the UK, or 60,000 cash bond. The Catch 22 for returning Brits is the 'in the UK part'. They won't take foreign earnings into account. I wanted to become a tax resident of the UK so I could qualify. Then I could have moved Mrs R and the boys to the UK and supported them from my earnings here. But they wouldn't have it despite that, along with income tax payments, my salary would have then been going into the UK economy. Suppose they must have money to burn...

Interesting article here with a lot of stats on the deaths of healthcare workers. 

https://www.hsj.co.uk/exclusive-deaths-of-nhs-staff-from-covid-19-analysed/7027471.article

It seems to indicate that the number of healthcare workers dying with Covid-19 is not out of proportion with the number of the general population dying with Covid-19.  

"However, the NHS is estimated to employ approximately 1.2-1.5 million staff, including more than 120,000 doctors, approximately 300,000 nurses and a similar number of healthcare support workers. A modest estimate of the patient-facing NHS workforce might be 600,000-800,000, which is more than 1 per cent of the UK population and more than 2 per cent of the employed population.

There is also a remarkable correlation between the cumulative UK deaths from covid-19 in the UK population and among health and social care workers. Accepting a lag of one to two days, the ratio is very close to 1:200 so the deaths among health and social care workers are approximately 0.5 per cent of all deaths, suggesting they are not overrepresented."

But right now, still can't afford it. 60,000 cash on deposit for a bond to bring the wife, the cash purchase price of a house, the cost of moving, etc.etc. A long way to yet....

Must be something I don't understand,  you rent a house, is the bond not returnable?

And how about Labour? I've honestly no idea where the money is coming from to have vast numbers sat at home on 80% pay, but if it means we come out of this situation and there aren't hundreds of thousands dead as first predictions said then it's worth while. 

You need proven two years income of 20,000 quid or above earned in the UK, or 60,000 cash bond. The Catch 22 for returning Brits is the 'in the UK part'. They won't take foreign earnings into account. I wanted to become a tax resident of the UK so I could qualify. Then I could have moved Mrs R and the boys to the UK and supported them from my earnings here. But they wouldn't have it despite that, along with income tax payments, my salary would have then been going into the UK economy. Suppose they must have money to burn...

Is that FLR(m) or SET(m)?

If I remember correctly there is some flexibility under the FLR(m) to enter on the basis of 'private life' where the income rules are more flexible as neither of you live in the UK. 

I'm sure you have already looked into it, but just in case... 

It's been nearly a year since the wife got IDLR and I'm not sorry to leave the process behind. 

And don't get me started on them charging £1500 p/p for a process they openly admit costs about £200 in total.... 

hello, that sounds a shame you find this system difficult now as i know from my very past life it was very different then, many families i met over there with English husbands never came back to UK, most other EU countries getting all the paperwork sorted and visa with the Thai embassy was very much easier, i could never understand why the UK government took this approach then let in 1000s of other foreign nationals,

3 hours ago, Retsdon said:

I wondered about that. An attempt to head off a class lawsuit for damages caused by negligence, or failure in a duty of care?

I remember at the start the government changed the classification of covid disease so they could not be sued if you caught it at work(nhs)....cant remember the details I'm sure someone will understand the exact info .....