Track and Tracing work

AVB

I thought I would apply for one of these roles. It’s home based and you follow up with individuals who have been identified as being in contact with a person who has tested positive. 

it pays the princely sum of £8.75 an hour which I believe is the minimum wage. Not sure why I am really bothering but it might help keep the brain cells active. Although at that rate they can’t be expecting much brain power can they? 

Just now, Old farrier said:

So you don’t like the track and trace 

but you’re happy to be the person doing it 

lift it you said it’ll soon sort itself out 

now you’re taking the money for being a spy 

slippery slope and now you’re greasing it 

Don’t be a knob. I said I didn’t object to the track and trace as proposed by the Government. I objected to your proposal to restrict people to specific areas and use an app to identify people moving outside of their area and then call in the police. 

Just now, AVB said:

Don’t be a knob. I said I didn’t object to the track and trace as proposed by the Government. I objected to your proposal to restrict people to specific areas and use an app to identify people moving outside of their area and then call in the police. 

Where did I say call the police 

if you have a control area you need to know who or what enters it 

waste of money you said 

now you’re taking it 

my proposal was exactly that a proposal and to be honest it’s what Ireland had done 

it’s obvious that your new job would be so much easier if the distance people were moving was limited 

On the topic of track and tracing, here's an interesting article on why Japan has been successful in keeping the number of infections down. https://moneyweek.com/economy/global-economy/601264/cluster-busting-japan-success-fighting-covid-19?utm_campaign=money-morning-newsletter

But then, As Richard North points out - "Compare and contrast the UK system which has contracted from over 300 local authority based public health teams, with about 11,000 professional staff in 1975, to less than 300 Public Health England staff operating from nine regional centres, and you get a taste of how far our capabilities have been degraded."

Of course, in the age of drugs for everything it probably didn't make sense to maintain the sort of public health capacity that was originally designed to combat infectious and often untreatable pathogens(like Covid-19). People thought they were a thing of the past. But maybe in the light of recent experience running down  public health departments wasn't such a good idea and perhaps they should be resurrected. The countries that have robust public health systems have definitely fared better.

45 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Really?  Japan had 98 cases today. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/japan/ 

The article is a day old btw....

Japan are hiding the numbers. They are turning many people away from hospitals to die at home and these don’t get counted. Like all Asian countries it is about saving face. The reality on the ground there is that life goes on with a half hearted lockdown 

6 hours ago, AVB said:

Japan are hiding the numbers. They are turning many people away from hospitals to die at home and these don’t get counted. Like all Asian countries it is about saving face. The reality on the ground there is that life goes on with a half hearted lockdown 

Let's suppose Japan is hiding 9 out of ten cases. It still gives a daily case count of less than 1,000. 

3 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Let's suppose Japan is hiding 9 out of ten cases. It still gives a daily case count of less than 1,000. 

Any ideas  why is that as this considering it is such a contagious virus and yet they haven’t implemented a strict lockdown or stopped air travel? 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

Any ideas  why is that as this considering it is such a contagious virus and yet they haven’t implemented a strict lockdown or stopped air travel? 

it's in the Money Week article. Of course the article could be a complete fabrication like Japan's infection figures. But I've no reason to think that either are fabrications. The same aggressive tracking of contacts is how the Koreans, Vietnamese and Kiwis have got their rates down. But you believe what you want to believe.