Firearms, The Law and Carriage.

I had a discussion with my local Licence Issuing Authority (Police) and this was how it went;
Them - "So how are you going to get your gun back from the person who's carried out the repairs"?

Me - A little bemused - "by the same carrier that it left here - Parcel Force".

Them - "It can only be returned to you via a Face-to-Face contact - your nearest RFD".

Me - "I'm sorry,  but that only applies to the purchase of new firearms - the gun is already on my S/G Cert,  which the RFD carrying out the repairs,  has seen and of which,  he has a copy.  An entry on to a FAC or a S/G Cert. must be done F2F".

Them - "You are wrong".

Me - "I'm not wrong.  The repairer (an RFD) arranged for a timed collection - and being in possession of my S/G Cert. he was able to return it to me,  by the same carrier".

Them - "I'll have to check on that one" - - that was four months ago,  not a word since.

Not surprised! Jumped up, arrogant, self important ****, when wrong, which is often the case, the arrogant ********* haven’t even got the decency to apologise....it makes my **** boil! 🤬
No wonder the police are losing the support of the public!....

To be honest 90% of so called  "gunsmiths" in England are bodgers, or glorified mechanics, who work at a glacial speed.

Not to mention all the hassles with RFD transfers, fees and waiting weeks or sometimes months for simple work like re threading or crowning.

If you find a good gunsmith stick to him/her , IMHO The only decent smith I have found in England is Norman Clarke of Rugby.

This is why whenever possible I prefer to research first and whenever possible, carry out my own repairs (if I have the skills and capabilities to do so myself.) 

I have a bore scope and can examine crowns and other small bits and I'm more often horrified by what these so call smiths do to guns.

I recently bought a "muzzle lapping tool" to re-crown one of my rimfire rifles, as I'm not going through this rigmarole and faffing about.  The tool itself only cost £17 and achieved much better than the crowning jobs I paid for so time, much faffing and money was saved all round. 

On 28/05/2020 at 11:26, London Best said:

Gunmakers make guns, gunsmiths ruin guns..... John Wiseman, Gunmaker.

There's no doubt that there are many who perhaps may have considered alternative careers.  

There are also those who are (or were) capable of exceptional work - I had one example here,  and then who,  on the very next day can produce work which has the gun fit for the scrap bin - including the additional and previous barrel costs.