hw95k or xl lightning???????

wilkie2

I have narrowed my choice down to the HW95K or lightning xl.............I know its been asked numerous times before but I dont want to buy one and then regret not getting the other.

Looking at getting a .177 mainly target shooting but moving on to rabbits and rats once i get some permissions sorted

so as the question goes what are your feelings on the best one to buy?

hello i just got my xl lightning in 22., the silencer is really good much better than the hw95k silencer-silents at around 15-20 yards away no twang, no bad traditional recoil, great symthetic stock- useful if out and about no need to worry abnout it getting damp and cracking :good: or scratching. well balanced and carbine all in all another top gun from the best gun makers-BSA

Thanks steve ???

I own the HW95K and can definately reccommend it! I have had some fantastic long range shots with it in 177 and find it superb. Since purchasing it last year, I've only ever had to set the sights twice and it hits pellet after pellet in the same tiny hole. Mine chronos at about 11.8ftlbs with Logun penetrators, so hits hard too! Totally recommended (y)

-Andrew

I bought an XL about two and a half years ago, when it arrived I fitted my scope but couldn't get it to fire on the bulls eye it was to far to the left, took the scope off and put a straight edge down the sight rail and it was on there _issed, so I contacted BSA they were not particulary helpfull, as luck would have it the courier lost it on its way back to them so I got me money back from them, bought a HW95 instead had it for about a year it was VERY good, shot three hundred and fifty rabbits, so impressed I moved upto a HW100 fantastic would not ever by another make gun.

a hw95k is just a normal looking gun, the tactical IMO is a much sexier looking gun Bsa went for a sort of "SWAT" looking gun and i think they have pulled it off. the choice is yours but i know i wouldnt swap my xl tactical for some run of the mill 95k

Thanks steve :good:

Both good guns.

For your money from either you are getting:

• 2 stage trigger
  • Beech stock
  • In the region of 12ft/lbs out of the box
  • Ambi stocks

Differences are that XL is a lot lighter than the wacker and will cost you about £20 less. It's about 8.5" shorter as well so easier to swing.

Have shot both and they are both great guns but my money would go on an XL tactical (as long as you are a righty, as the synth stock is right handed) :good:

a hw95k is just a normal looking gun, the tactical IMO is a much sexier looking gun Bsa went for a sort of "SWAT" looking gun and i think they have pulled it off. the choice is yours but i know i wouldnt swap my xl tactical for some run of the mill 95k

Thanks steve :)

I too have shot a lightning and it wasn't bad. Anyone who has shot the both should know that the Weihrauch trigger is far superior.

At the end of the day it's a quality bunny basher he's after (i assume). Not a SWAT lookalike! Leave that for FAC when at least it's not quite as laughable. Both perform well but my moneys definatly on the Weihrauch.

Don't get me wrong! I'd love to remark on how the Engineering is better than the German Weihrauch, but this simply isn't true.

:good:

well thanks for all the replies,I reckon its gonna be the weirauch hw95k that I end up getting but when I get up to blackpool Ill try them both together just to see if the XL manages to change my mind..........

I will add onto this post which I ended up getting,hopefully by tuesday at the latest ,(gonna try and get up there before that if possible)

again thanks for the advice and keep it coming cos I aint bought one just yet,still only about 80%certain ...............

I am fortunate in the way that I own the 95k with the silencer and my shooting partner owns the Lightning XL.

The first major difference I noticed when shooting both initially is the 95k is a LONG rifle when compared to the Lightning. The lightning is a lovely rifle to hold and shoot. It is nice and compact, very accurate and has a pleasant 'thwack' when fired. The trigger on the lightning is nowehere near the same quality as on the 95k though.

The 95k shoots fairly quietly. (compared to my shooting partners lightning) The trigger is lovely and smooth if not a touch 'light' when first used. The silencer on the 95k is also easy to remove if needs be without having to resort to clamps and heat methods. I find my HW a bit picky on pellets though. It will shoot Bisley mags, RWS H points and field and target pellets really well, but throws accupells and logun penetrators all over the place. :)

Mates Lightning is similar. His will also throw accupells anywhere it wants but your desired target. We have also noticed the .177 is also quite a tight fit on most pellets. Almost to the point with some makes where you don't actually think it will go in there without damaging the skirt of the pellet.

All in all, both great rifles. Having put at least 200+ pellets down the BSA and at least 4 tins through the 95k I am pleased I chose the HW95k. Just a shame about it's length.

It all depends on which you prefer and what you will be using it for. These guns are totally different weights and lengths. See which you prefer the feel of.

The lightening is great up to about 30yds (some say further). The HW95 being longer and heavier is probably good for a bit further as it will be affected less by recoil. I own the BSA lightening XL beech stock in 0.177 with a gas ram fitted and it suits me well. I appreciate the light weight and have learnt how to shoot it accurately. Because it is light and short it tends to recoil quite a bit (especially with the spring), so good technique / practise is required. It will reward if you put in the work.

I have narrowed my choice down to the HW95K or lightning xl.............I know its been asked numerous times before but I dont want to buy one and then regret not getting the other.

Looking at getting a .177 mainly target shooting but moving on to rabbits and rats once i get some permissions sorted

so as the question goes what are your feelings on the best one to buy?

If you plan to keep it standard, then go HW95. If you want to modify it then get a BSA (Theoben gas ram is what I'm thinking. Much better than any spring in my experience, and for £60 well worth it as it transforms the gun!). I don't think you can get a ram for a HW95.

yes you are correct a gas ram can not be fitted to the HW 95k

well,I took the plunge.....

went up to b.a.r today and bought the hw95k,thanks for all the input and advice but dont let it stop now Ive bought one,if there is anything in particular I should know about the gun or its care feel free to pass it on :rolleyes:

b.a.r had loads of 2nd hand rifles in,some great bargains to be had if you manage to get up there.

I was impressed with the lightning but had already virtually decided to get the 95 before I got there,Im sure I made the right choice but may have to start saving for an xl now too.......but if my wife reads this she will kill me

:):rolleyes: B) :blink:

Well done mate! You made the right choice! I was worried towards the end of the thread that you'd swing the BSA way!

Your Weihrauch will give you many years of good service! And you can always get it tuned up in the future!

Almost forgot! You should sign up to the new Weihrauch owners club forum!

Good choice;

However I would like to point out that the new 95's that have an actual "silencer" as opposed to a cocking weight are termed HW95S. This comes from the guys themselves but they suprisingly have not ammended their site to reflect this yet.

I got mine a few months ago and had exactly the same problem with Crossman acupels in .177 . My trusty old choice of AirArms Field Diabolo paid off and its a deadeye shot everytime.

Pete Wadeson tested it in Gun Mart in August I think. I beleive his review was marred as he choose the acupells to test it with. Feed it the right diet and you will rival the HW80 gas ram every time.

mr_colt