Is this a good deal or not???? No Idea - new member!

NickM

Sirs ,

After a long time of prevaricating I finally got my own license (it took 4 months!!!) and transferred an old family game gun, a Laurona o/u twin trigger into my name to get me started. I went off to a couple of local sporting shoots at the weekend and I have to agree this gun was not great for clays! However I was offered the chance to use others and now have no idea what to buy. During these conversations I was offered a 1991 Miroku 3800 grade 3, 32" with 8 Teague Chokes... It has been fully serviced and new springs inserted. I was told the Teague Chokes alone would normally cost £400 ! The guy has offered it to me for £750. It seems really clean and tidy.

What do I do... I want to shoot skeet and sporting, maybe get onto a pheasent shoot and throw in some rabbit and pigeon?

I would be grateful of everyones thoughts?:good:

Many thanks

Gun seems to be over priced if you ask me - its prob worth at least a couple of hundred quid less than that.

Take a good look around your local gun shops and even on line and you'll find a newer better gun for that kind of cash.

You could prob buy a brand new Miroku MK38 grade 1 for £750.00 if you haggle a bit and this will work well for all the needs you state.

Paul

Gun seems to be over priced if you ask me - its prob worth at least a couple of hundred quid less than that.

Take a good look around your local gun shops and even on line and you'll find a newer better gun for that kind of cash.

You could prob buy a brand new Miroku MK38 grade 1 for £750.00 if you haggle a bit and this will work well for all the needs you state.

Paul

Many thanks... thats what I thought but the guy was doing his best to convince me it was worth £1,000+ good job I am not that daft and decided to look around and ask sensible questions first!!!!

Nick,

Why is the Laurona not great for clays? I used one for many years and did very well indeed with it.

Allegidly it is too short... I am 6'2" with long arms and the twin triggers are not helpfull with fat fingers... I dont really know to be sure.

I have had the benefit of two or three years shooting at good clubs/schools with new modern expensive guns that I borrowed. This felt very different, and raised a few eyebrows when I turned up with it. I was told it is a good game gun but no good for sporting clays??? Do you disagree... this seems to be a minefield of subjective comments and sparked a debate on Saturday about where I should start..

Greetings,

Going back to your original post, a 32" bbl is not going to be much use as a skeet gun. You'll need something shorter in bbl to give you easier movement. As a 'sporting clay' gun I don't think a 32" Mirok can be faulted, it stands it's own with most of the Berrettas and Brownings. (Can I spell Berretta ??) For game days a 32 is useable, but as someone said, it can get heavy after a full day in the field.

Most important advice I can offer is ..... make sure the gun fits you and you're comfortable using it. It should mount directly under your master eye without you thinking about it. Remember you only have two sights, one is bolted to the front of the barrel, the other is built into your head. If they don't match, look for another gun.

Best of luck, enjoy your sport.

Rodge.

Just a thought .......I bought a Miroku 25 years ago for £450 just a budget grade (no fancy engraving or wood) but great gun. I put up with too tight chokes for a bit then opened them up to 1/4 and Half and use it on everything (well almost).

I've an old s/s 12 bore just over 6LB for "very long walk days" which is not often but the gun is only £70 beautiful action and wood .... nice old and worn English gun ok for for field only.

This may save you a fortune unless you can, or want to, afford something better...

Malk

Nick,

Why is the Laurona not great for clays? I used one for many years and did very well indeed with it.

Allegidly it is too short... I am 6'2" with long arms and the twin triggers are not helpfull with fat fingers... I dont really know to be sure.

I have had the benefit of two or three years shooting at good clubs/schools with new modern expensive guns that I borrowed. This felt very different, and raised a few eyebrows when I turned up with it. I was told it is a good game gun but no good for sporting clays??? Do you disagree... this seems to be a minefield of subjective comments and sparked a debate on Saturday about where I should start..

Hi Nick,

I absolutely disagree. Any shotgun that you can shoot well on game will shoot well on clays for you. Both my Laurona's were double trigger, but also each trigger

acted as a single trigger. i.e. Front trigger shot bottom then top, back trigger shot top then bottom. Have you tried this with yours?

If it's too short then I have a 1" stock lengthening spacer that fits under the butt pad. You can have it if it will help.