rspca/sspca

dustyfox

I was working in the woods the other week near a town and I got a phone call from the local community centre saying that a deer had been ran over just outside the centre, so I got over there and I saw that the deer was in a lot of pain it was bleeding from the mouth and broken ribs, I wanted to take it and kill it in an humane way but because the foot and mouth I phoned up someone to make sure it was safe to move the animal away from the public. Then suddenly this rspca/sspca officer came speeding along in her car and she came bursting out of it and started shouting (right everyone step back I am taking control here I am taking this deer and see if I can save it, blah blah blah.) Everyone who was watching was just stairing at eachover :whistling: saying wat the **** is she on.

I took all the right precautions to make sure the deer was as calm as possibble and that I was not gonna spread any disease but dont you just think that the rspca/sspca should think before they take action.

The next day I wanted to know wat happened to the deer and of course the reply was we had to put it down. Now is it me or did they not put that deer in a lot of pain and stress for hours on end, when I could of taken it round the corner out of sight of the public and shot it.

dustyfox

Quick, quiet, humane job with a knife? I believe you can register with your local police force so you can be called in the event of a deer RTA in your local area and put it out of it's misery at odd hours. I also think that the BASC will update you insurance to cover you for it, free. :whistling:

FM :rolleyes:

Yes that is correct you can be registered with the local police to cover RTA's. A gamekeeper I know is on the list and I have been out with him a few times over the years.

On One memorable occasion a few summers ago I see a more or less similar incident.

A roe deer was caught up on some barbed wire and was near death. The police was there and one copper was holding the deer's head up to stop it suffocating further.

The keeper was about to shoot it when this beaten up pick up truck screeched to a halt right beside us. Out jumped a woman in her thirties who was making all sorts of noise about her running an animal sanctuary down the road and how she would take over from now on and save the animal.

The police officer was quite sharp in his reply ' You won't be needed here love we have it covered. Be on your way and find the nearest post office.

'What for' says the woman

Your road tax has been out since june

Oh................