Fair Play

wymberley

There is a statue of a soldier in Exeter positioned on the Road to Crediton which is fitting as that town was his birth place - and also where he died. As a younger officer he was awarded the VC for his conduct in three separate actions which saved the lives of  3 fellow soldiers. His name is General Sir Redvers Buller and now some wish to have his statue removed because of his association with colonialism. As a serving soldier he would have been under orders, so what about the person on whose behest he acted. Fairness would mean that a rather large waterfall, lake and a fair chunk of Australia are going to disappear from the face of the earth - not forgetting the award he so gallantly deserved. And they're just for starters.

No, I didn't think so.

And while we're on, can Walt have his head back because there's another one of the same ilk.

I have a relation I'm researching that would have fought under his overall command at colenso in South Africa 1899, I think it's a damn shame that the 2nd boer war is continuously brushed under the carpet in favour of other more glorified conflicts, considering the boer war was the first that started to involve what would be considered as modern styles warfare.

Was able to find a photograph of my relatives grave in Kroonstad and I was actually a little sickened that very little effort has been put into maintaining the graves of these men.

The plonkers that are wanting to airbrush people out of history need to stop judging the past by modern standards, nigh on every country on the earth tried to subjugate others and expand empires and theatres of influence, so why should people in the West feel so guilty about it?

9 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I have a relation I'm researching that would have fought under his overall command at colenso in South Africa 1899, I think it's a damn shame that the 2nd boer war is continuously brushed under the carpet in favour of other more glorified conflicts, considering the boer war was the first that started to involve what would be considered as modern styles warfare.

Was able to find a photograph of my relatives grave in Kroonstad and I was actually a little sickened that very little effort has been put into maintaining the graves of these men.

The plonkers that are wanting to airbrush people out of history need to stop judging the past by modern standards, nigh on every country on the earth tried to subjugate others and expand empires and theatres of influence, so why should people in the West feel so guilty about it?

First step towards a Totalitarian State - airbrush out history.

Most regrettably this type of trendy woke nonsense is becoming more prevalent, but then, what else does one expect from Exeter's labor council and its horrid MP. It's really time these people were put back in their box.

I also note that the council leader is highly vociferous supportive of BLM, so expect the council to turn its attention to every other aspect of colonial history Exeter has.

If they get away with this, it won't be long before they question the actions and motives of those fighting at Rokes Drift.