Computer Data Transfer

wymberley

On the grounds that I'll probably get a faster respnse on PW than I would from Dell (the phone is out of the question), could anyone kindly tell me what a "Transfer My PC USB" actually is? I have bought a new computer and this bit of kit is for transferring my stuff from the old to the new. My problem is that I don't know being a dummy what it is - is it a programme that would have been loaded into my new item at source or is it an actual physical device? I'm told it has been delivered but all I got was the computer itself hence my confusion.

MTIA

16 minutes ago, wymberley said:

On the grounds that I'll probably get a faster respnse on PW than I would from Dell (the phone is out of the question), could anyone kindly tell me what a "Transfer My PC USB" actually is? I have bought a new computer and this bit of kit is for transferring my stuff from the old to the new. My problem is that I don't know being a dummy what it is - is it a programme that would have been loaded into my new item at source or is it an actual physical device? I'm told it has been delivered but all I got was the computer itself hence my confusion.

MTIA

I have a duck called Kelvin,

Not much help really but as I have no clue to help you out I thought it would be rude not to post at least something.😁

Transfer MyPC is an application that help you transfer files and setting to your new computer, its a bit long winded.

What are you trying to-do, has your new PC got an OS on it? And what version? what OS is on your old one?

link to "Transfer MyPC"...https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/help-me-choose/cp/hmc-transfer-mypc

Edited by old'un

24 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I have a duck called Kelvin,

Not much help really but as I have no clue to help you out I thought it would be rude not to post at least something.😁

Well, at least you ducked the Covid, shame about the cabin fever though. :innocent:

12 minutes ago, old'un said:

Transfer MyPC is an application that help you transfer files and setting to your new computer, its a bit long winded.

What are you trying to-do, has your new PC got an OS on it? And what version? what OS is on your old one?

link to "Transfer MyPC"...https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/help-me-choose/cp/hmc-transfer-mypc

Cheers.

The first place I went to was the link. I half expected it to be a device with "USB cable not included". Close though, I think it may well be the USB with a programme within it.

If you have a USB to USB bridging cable you can plug one end into each PC effectively joining/networking them together.

Using an App/software (ie 'Transfer MyPC USB' or by running devmgmt.msc) you can then move all of your data, files, programs, eMails etc etc from the old pc to the new one. There are several flavours of software to do this, most cost money some are 'bundled' with a new pc.

Edited by miki

26 minutes ago, miki said:

If you have a USB to USB bridging cable you can plug one end into each PC effectively joining/networking them together.

Using an App/software (ie 'Transfer MyPC USB' or by running devmgmt.msc) you can then move all of your data, files, programs, eMails etc etc from the old pc to the new one. There are several flavours of software to do this, most cost money some are 'bundled' with a new pc.

Yep, £26 which in the overall scheme of things plus my knowledge of computers is worth it. Had a reply from Dell confirming that it has not been delivered - over to you UPS.