Nursery

GingerCat

Wife started back at work yesterday and the little one had her first day at nursery. 

Today we had a call she had a "temperature " of 38 c. Both girls had to be taken home immediately and neither allowed back until they see a negative covid test result as it symptomatic. 

A little harsh for .5c on an 11 month old child  thats teething, in a nursery running about. 

I call work to let them know. I now have to isolate at home as well. Forbidden from going out. Despite being vaccinated and no one displaying symptoms.  The nearest test centre is 15 mins away but the website directs me to one about 45 mins each way. You can't get out the car and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be able to do the test herself from the child's seat so its a postal test for us. 

I took her temperature at home and it was 36.3.c as she wasnt running about. 

The impact on my work will be significant. The nursery will still get paid for the 2 children not being there and they will be able to have an early day tomorrow as there's 2 children less to worry about. 

I can't help but wonder if the unions direct them to be this zealous to undermine Boris?

That's more than a bit harsh but I guess they want to be extra careful. There is no value for them in taking a chance they have to set out a risk assesement and action plan and act upon it. 

Daughter is a Doc on a covid ward, her and her partner had vacinations and he had a reaction to his. His temperature was up and she had to take a day off for a test, which they knew would be negative but they too can't take a chance. 

Edited by oowee

3 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Wife started back at work yesterday and the little one had her first day at nursery. 

Today we had a call she had a "temperature " of 38 c. Both girls had to be taken home immediately and neither allowed back until they see a negative covid test result as it symptomatic. 

A little harsh for .5c on an 11 month old child  thats teething, in a nursery running about. 

I call work to let them know. I now have to isolate at home as well. Forbidden from going out. Despite being vaccinated and no one displaying symptoms.  The nearest test centre is 15 mins away but the website directs me to one about 45 mins each way. You can't get out the car and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be able to do the test herself from the child's seat so its a postal test for us. 

I took her temperature at home and it was 36.3.c as she wasnt running about. 

The impact on my work will be significant. The nursery will still get paid for the 2 children not being there and they will be able to have an early day tomorrow as there's 2 children less to worry about. 

I can't help but wonder if the unions direct them to be this zealous to undermine Boris?

To bring a different perspective working with 2 to 7 year olds we have in the last few weeks had a spate of positive kids in lots of classes some with temperatures, others with cold like symptoms, diarrhoea and lots with no symptoms at all but parents tested them (we don’t force families).  I have have 2 Reception classes, 1 pre-reception class, and my youngest 2 year old class and my turning 3 yrs class  isolating at the moment, various positive staff and parents.  It has suddenly blown up.  One reception class was isolating for 10 days as one Teacher was  positive.   They were all back one day and that night a child in that class was tested and was positive, off they all went for another 10 days. They are due back Monday.  

I dont believe for one minute nursery staff are being persuaded by the unions.  

My daughter in law owns a couple of large children's nurseries and would have done exactly as the OP's nursery did. I would not call them over zealous - merely sensible. Most people would be astonished with the grief that nurseries get. I accept that they are paid to do a job, but I could not stand the complaints that they have to endure.

Parents drop off a clearly sick and then complain when they get a phone call to collect their child. The alternative would be for the nursery to alert Social Services, which would do no-one any favours.

Edited by Gordon R

On 18/02/2021 at 16:42, GingerCat said:

call work to let them know. I now have to isolate at home as well. Forbidden from going out. Despite being vaccinated and no one displaying symptoms. 

I had similar a few weeks ago, my mrs didn't feel to good, thought it was a bug but had a couple of mild symptoms that could be covid related so booked a test, she decided this on the Tuesday night.

I'd been in work an hour so informed them expecting to be told do a test and if she tests positive go and isolate,  but I was sent home till the test results came in.

Slightly different because she felt she had symptoms. 

On 18/02/2021 at 16:42, GingerCat said:

I'm surprised they didn't do another temp check after a short while, especially given your daughters age, but 38°C does seem high, although I understand what you mean about the teething.

We are temp checked each shift, not sure I've ever been above 34 but it's one of those guns they use, a high temp and your told to go sit on your own for twenty minutes then tested again, after that things kick off but it hasn't happened on my shift yet.

Hope your all feeling fine though and the high temp was just from the teething.