Larson/drop trap on a budget

I scrounged some roofing lats and I thought that I would give it a go.

I had some screws and hinges in the shed. I also had a couple of "chinese" rat traps with springs on. This is as far as I got today.

I am not 100% happy with the rat trap spring strength but we are on a budget. 

Screenshot_20210517-191525_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210517-191536_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210517-191545_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210517-191553_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210517-191601_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210517-191611_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210517-191621_Gallery.jpg

31 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

Looking good Harry , just one thing  the  dowel perch on the ones i,ve seen in the past are cut in half . atb 

^^^ yep a square bar cut in half. Does look good that. My only thought though is if it is open an airy enought. The wire cage I have is very open in appearance and i wonder if the thickness of structure might put the targets off. Only one way to find out. 

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

^^^ yep a square bar cut in half. Does look good that. My only thought though is if it is open an airy enought. The wire cage I have is very open in appearance and i wonder if the thickness of structure might put the targets off. Only one way to find out. 

I wonder why perch cut in half?

Is it the way the picture is took? It's only roof lat.

38 minutes ago, oowee said:

But with the perch cut in half the pressure of the doors holds the two halfs together. When the bird lands on it the perch breaks the bird falls. It's also easy to set. 

Ah, I have read your post 6 times but now the penny has dropped, cut in half not lengthways as I thought folks were implying 🤡🤡🤡😳😳👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣

It's been a long day 😴

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Ah, I have read your post 6 times but now the penny has dropped, cut in half not lengthways as I thought folks were implying 🤡🤡🤡😳😳👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣

It's been a long day 😴

No worries first one i had I could not work out how to set the thing open :lol:

3 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

What happened to "sunny Chesterfield"🤣🤣😂

its never been sunny ,it used to smell funny when the Trebor sweet factory was still going ,friday was the best day when they boiled all the leftover sweets to make Black Jacks chews ,do'nt think they would get away with them these days , keep us posted Harry!

37 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

What happened to "sunny Chesterfield"🤣🤣😂

Just a slight blip, you know me 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

25 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

its never been sunny ,it used to smell funny when the Trebor sweet factory was still going ,friday was the best day when they boiled all the leftover sweets to make Black Jacks chews ,do'nt think they would get away with them these days , keep us posted Harry!

I miss Trebor, used to go to their shop for the "seconds and miss shapes" and the smell at this side of town.

13 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Just a slight blip, you know me 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I miss Trebor, used to go to their shop for the "seconds and miss shapes" and the smell at this side of town.

I think they where resposible for all the dentist in the town Harry, apparantly you can still get Black Jacks, Banana split chews were my favs.

On 20/05/2021 at 16:32, oowee said:

I know it's trial and error but if nothing shows an interest today then I am inclined to start thinking along the lines of your opinion about "open and airy"