Tea Urn age ???

Dougy

Some of the older members of PW may have seen these in use 😉, but what i am interested in is the history of it. I was looking through some tat i have lying around for a water feature and was if its worth million i would use something else. 

thanks all

Urn 1.jpg

Urn 2.jpg

13 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what is the lid thingy above the tap ?

If you imagine the earthenware is the receptacle for the drink, the outer skin holds hot water to help retain the heat, similar to a flask ? The lid thingy above the tap is the filling funnel for the outer area.  

LOL 

Just looked back at the photo and CANNOT believe nobody has mentioned the footwear  :lol:😛

Edited by Dougy

Just now, Dougy said:

If you imagine the earthenware is the receptacle for the drink, the outer skin holds hot water to help retain the heat, similar to a flask ? The lid thingy above the tap is the filling funnel for the outer area.  

so you could use hot water or ice then.........i rekon mid to late victorian..................might also be used for making ice cream ???

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

so you could use hot water or ice then.........i rekon mid to late victorian..................might also be used for making ice cream ???

I thought ice cream but it seems to be the wrong way round, (crushed Ice and salt) you would struggle to pour it in through that funnel ? 

7 hours ago, Dougy said:

Just looked back at the photo and CANNOT believe nobody has mentioned the footwear  😛

Don't worry , they were noticed . We're just too gentlemanly to add to your humiliation 👍😅.

1 minute ago, Eyefor said:

The holes are there to let the wearers dignity out.

For £9 i couldnt give a monkeys if all of my dignity slipped through the holes. Last time i went to pay for anything i didn't pay with dignity, they've lasted nearly 8 years now and saved me a mint in the "keep up with the jones's footwear". And i recon there's a few more years left yet too

I may sell it and get another pair. 

😛:lol:

13 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Don't worry , they were noticed . We're just too gentlemanly to add to your humiliation 👍😅.

True Gent :lol: