Refinish stock

millrace

Well....want to refinish/improve a cpl of stocks on aya sxs.....

Now ive searched oil/refinish/stock on forum but theres to many matches/ topics with these words.....lol

So whats best to use? Any tips pointers info all welcome....do i go for a kit as such or home brew potion......????

There is no stunning wood involved the stocks are just dull unloved and well used....

I done my yeoman over lockdown as it was just looking like kack, stripped it, bit of sanding, sharp blade to chase the chequering and gave it some tru oil. I also found an old stain lying in my shed and gave it a coat because why not? I overdone it and it went really really red haha, but I don't care really.

Heres a pic I took earlier of my yeoman with the new pup 

20220101_183426.jpg

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

whatever you do....its like spraying a high quality car....preparation...any imperfections you leave...in the base will reflect thro to the surface

that yeoman above looks like  £1000 gun now....beautiful colour

I'm glad I didn't take a closer picture 🤣

Thing about the wood on the lower model AYA guns is they tend to have very light, somewhat boring wood on them so if you do a full strip you will lose your colour as I did, but if you can get a little alkanet oil or a nice walnut stain (god knows what stain i have used 😆) but there's no reason why you can't have it looking as good as many more expensive guns. 

Mine had some oil ingress from whoever owned it before me being a bit over eager with oil or storing it butt down but I was able to draw it out with nail varnish remover and a hair dryer.

The tru oil I used is like marmite on here, some like it and some think its the work of the devil, like the stain its just what I had lying around so I used it, but boiled linseed oil will do you well, thinning down the first couple of coats to help drive it into the grain too.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing work Rob. I just finished my Miroku w Tru Oil and loved it. Boiled linseed oil is great but needs so much patience. (So does tru-oil mind, but it must cut down the time by weeks) has anyone used the Sheen and Conditioner that comes W Tru Oil Deluxe kit? Just finished and think I might go more Satin rather than gloss?