Opening out bores.

redial

I have a nice 16 bore which I've had for a while and decided to put into use.

Intended use, sporting clays, the very occasional game day.

It's quite tight at 1/2 & 3/4 and was thinking of having it opened out a little but with steel in mind. What would be a good combination.

I had a quote of £95 + vat for the work.

Thanks for any advice.

Hello, I would only do one barrel, take the half choke out to improved cylinder, using 8 clay carts should be cylinder, Half, then a game day use 6s , or you could go down to improved/ half, so 8s will hold a good pattern on clays and 6s for a 16 should get a decent pattern on game/pigeon, low velocity steel 4/5s for duck shooting

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

FWIW I wouldn't use a 16 bore for clays unless clay shooting were secondary to the guns use for live quarry. The reason is the cartridge selection is poor so if you do open the chokes (I guess all you can find is English #7 shot) you'll start to miss edge on or mini and maybe mid clays at longer ranges. Not through poor shooting but because of holes in the pattern. I know this as at one time I had a pair of 16 bore single trigger sidelock self-openers and, yes, struggled to find any cartridges with shot smaller than English #7.

So choke. I still have a 16 bore...a French Robust 28E self-opener boxlock ejector. So you then have to decide are you A) walking up game B) shooting driven game or C) shooting decoyed pigeons or close range rabbits. For A) I'd say 1/4 and 1/2. Classic combination and gives you an extra five yards "lee" for the second barrel if you walk up a pair of birds or miss that first shot! For B) there's two schools of thought. Both barrels at 1/8 choke or IMP or the other doctrine is the left barrel 3/4 to fire FIRST to take the incoming bird (of a pair) very far out and the right barrel 1/8 choke or IMP.

All the above is assuming lead. For steel I cannot advise as I've no experience except this advice which I hope is taken in the good spirit that it is intended. That is get a cheap 12 bore for frequent regular use with steel and either use lead with your 16 bore as long as you are able, use bismuth when you can't or wait until there's a non-steel 16 bore version of the shot used in "Bio Ammo Blue" 12 bore loadings. I'm sorry it's what I think is the best advice.