Dare I Ask

1 hour ago, The Heron said:

I currently use 150 grain rws in 308 can anyone recommend a copper alternative. 

I have just started using the .308 RWS evogreen in either 139gr or 136gr. These have a copper rear core and a tin front core. So far they are performing better on deer (roe/fallow) than any other non lead bullets I have tried. 

I have used a lot of Barnes TTSX on various from muntie up to silver medal wild boar and they all fell over.   The base TSX I have not had a 100% experience with but only shot 22 and 257s . The TTSX does the job.  The TTSX I have used in 7mm up to 375JDJ with the 300H&H in between.  I don't know if there is a manufactuer using their bullets because I load all my own.   Maybe Federal does.

58 minutes ago, London Best said:

With hand loaded bullets I have had good success with 150gr Nosler E tips.

I use these where I must use copper but I am still allowed handloads.
Most of my stalking now demands not only copper but also factory loads.

Excuse my ignorance but never having done any stalking ,the copper I understand but why do they insist on factory load's ?

1 hour ago, B725 said:

Excuse my ignorance but never having done any stalking ,the copper I understand but why do they insist on factory load's ?

Some years ago now I believe a Forestry ranger had an ‘incident’ with a rifle involving hand loaded ammunition. As a result of this the F C banned the use of handloads on ground under their control. More recently all their rangers have been using copper. On our F C lease we were allowed to use lead as the venison was not going through the F C larder but this changed again from last November, since when we must use non-lead factory loads.

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Typical big brother attitude. In most cases on our deer the bullet will exit anyway.  As said I am more than happy to use copper bullets, next thing they will be banning the plastic tips.

No next they will have to sit the dear round in a circle and politely ask it to 

stop making baby dears

stop eating all the saplings 

play nicely with the other animals.

You can then put your sandels back on and have a nice healthy lentil and pulse soup. 

only after this Will alternatives be discussed ( the naughty step for instance)

Agriv8